Author Topic: Shooter competence - assessment thereof....  (Read 2707 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Shooter competence - assessment thereof....
« on: March 18, 2005, 12:48:07 AM »
I have posted this elsewhere but throw it in here too - I think it is important.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One or two recent threads have got me to thinking about this.

I think it fair to say that if I am with or around folks I do not know (gun owners/shooters) - I have to assume some measure of incompetence. This is not to do with any ego thing - ''I am better than you'' ... just the simple fact that there do seem to be way too many gun owners around who really can be a danger. Both to themselves, and others.... the more so on average I think with the ''casual'' shooter/owner as against let's say - ''most of us here''.

Thus I do not feel it is an arrogant approach - more a case of standard situational awareness - preferable to a bullet in the vitals! One instance comes immediately to mind - when I was watching a guy prep' his gear on the line. He ''appeared'' good material. In his forties, and gear that said ''mature long time shooter''.

On watching however, he placed a loaded mag in his semi, and as re racked the slide, proceeded to sweep me and others as he looked around. Not even sure if finger was on or off trigger - but reaction was to bellow ... ''downrange only'' or some such. Got a look of shock from him, followed by a smile of contrition - he at least knew he'd done wrong.

The guys I coach NRA courses with - and a few select others - are about the only folks I'll turn my back on when shooting ... or when they are gun handling.

I don't think it's paranoid - been proved right too many times. Bottom line is it seems to me - a casual glance does not tell you anything about another shooter's competence - at all. So 'play it safe' is the way to go - our vigilance thus can help make up for deficiencies in another's skills, and maybe save a problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited for a glaring error -
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 10:53:30 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
Re: Shooter competence - assessment thereof....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 10:46:31 PM »
You know, that is probably a good attitude to have.  Just last week there was a guy who took his rifle off the line and laid it on the table behind the shooting benches.  I'm not sure of the details but he ended up putting a bullet into the bathroom wall (they are located directly behind the range tables).  Luckily it did not go through and nobody was hurt.  

This little incident though has prompted a new rule at the range.  If you want to change weapons and shoot something else or leave for the day the firearm must now be checked and cleared with a range officer.  It is going to slow things up when crowded, but when I was there yesterday there was a person who was finished for the day and left a round in the chamber.  Without that check who knows what would have happened.  

I think perhaps some of these people get into shooting later in life and haven't been brought up or trained in the proper procedures.  They are either too embarassed to ask someone or take a class in firearm safety, think they know enough, or just plain don't think about it.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 10:59:43 PM »
I do wish the complacent folks would be less arrogant too - these are the ones if being challenged - look all upset - a ''what me?'' sorta pathetic puppy look!!

There are IMO 2 main groups - newbies who make mistakes thru ignorance (not IMO excusable) or lack of practice.

Then the worst perhaps - the ol' pharts .. yeah, my age!! ;D But the ones who have ''been at it for years'' and think they either know it all - or - have become so complacent and careless, that they screw up.

A well run range is from a safety POV invariably safer when supervized - having someone (or persons) as RO's ... it is wise to check weapons and catch errors ........... before they become fatal ones.

One thing I detest (of many) in indoor public ranges - is the isolation given by the baffles ... each shooter feels cocooned and ''safe'' - forgetting that other folks are adjacent.  I am lucky to have a private club or two - many times empty of shooters .. that is the best of all.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 08:43:26 AM »
Chris:

Those are excellent comments with which I totally agree.  I too have seen the occasional dunderhead sweep through the line at a public shooting range.   I'm just grateful that I have access to a private range on my wife's nearby family farm.  

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 10:34:57 PM »
Oh how I wish I still had access to a private range.  In NJ I belonged to the Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club.  It was open to members 24 hrs a day 7 days a week.  All sorts of ranges out to 200 meters, indoor pistol range for the winter, and trap and skeet fields.  Nice place.  

I try to make the safe handling procedures I've been taught habit and don't skip them even when I "know" it is not loaded.  Unloaded guns are the most dangerous.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 09:38:25 PM »
I don't trust anyone.  I have had too many pistols pointed at me at ranges, both public and otherwise.  Shotguns too.  If someone points a firearm at me I try to make sure they won't forget.

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 01:02:16 AM »
I was at a dealer's place yesterday, his daughter (about 4 yrs old) is crawling and climbing around him and everything in sight, though all the guns were out of reach or secured behind glass. Anyway, he opens a package that looked to me like it was a used pistol from someone, his daughter now climbs up on his left side, he takes the gun out of the package, holding it in his RIGHT hand - barrel pointing directly at his daughter on his left, and proceeds to examine the gun -checking controls, trigger, everything, then racks it with his finger too close to the trigger for me. I was absolutely shocked - I don't care if the box came from a manufacturer, another dealer, whoever - but to wave a barrel directly at anyone, much less your own...  As I was staring at him, he looked up, looked at his daughter, looked back at me and put the gun down - I'm sure he knew what he'd done but I felt sick.

I walked out!!! - I'll never go back.
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 09:39:07 AM »
This subject brings to mind a incident that took place when I was taking the gun safety course to qualify for my ccw. It was the second day of the course and just after a lunch break, everyone was just jibber jabbering, and the two course instructors walk in to start the last part of the instruction. Well.. I was sitting in the front row with two other guys, and this one instructor opened a pistol case, took out a semi ( believe it was a Glock) racked the slide back all the while it was pointed at us! We all threw our hands up...as to surrender and he immediately realized what he had did, and was very embarrassed, not everyone in the class had seen what had taken placed.  This was a former LEO, nice man and very well qualified, but it goes to show you, you never know who, when or where these things will take place.........very scary!
mismatch