Author Topic: Defensive Handgun Classes  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
Defensive Handgun Classes
« on: March 03, 2005, 02:59:14 PM »
I have never taken one of these and would like too.  I would like some input as to where to go and how much the average, if there is such a thing, class costs.  I don't really want to travel, but will if there are none in Florida.  Any info is appreciated.

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
Re: Defensive Handgun Classes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 03:53:25 AM »
Rocnerd - I would venture to say that there may be more handgun defensive classes in Fla that in almost any other state. Cost varies by the duration of the program, fame of the instructor, and expertise. In my opinion no one should be allowed to carry unless they take at least one of these classes, preferably one with some legal guidance as well.

Search the internet, call the NRA, ask around at area gun shops - you'll get a pretty good idea of what is out there. Some of the more famous are Mas Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute - whatever you think of him, he's a damn good shooter and instructor, and the legal portion of his classes are invaluable, Clint's Thunder Ranch - travel to Oregon but a great experience, and then there's the Colonel - Cooper and his GunSite Ranch in AZ. Expect to pay close to $700.00 or thereabouts for any of these extended classes - 3 days or more.

You will be able to find many one or two day courses for much less but remember you get what you pay for. Just make sure to check out a prospective class/instructor with locals, ask around on the forums, search by name on the net, etc.

The majority of these classes are well worth it and you will have a great time. You'll leave them trying to think of which one you'll end up at next!
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 10:21:02 AM »
Rocnerd,

I carried for a long time before taking my first real class.  I had been shooting all my life, had some law enforcement training of sorts, and figured I pretty much knew what I was doing.

After taking some formal training, I was amazed at what you could learn in 2-3 days and the confidence that it inspires.  The training classes don't make you a combat master in a few days, but you learn the basics and then you can practice correctly to fully ingrain those skills.

Not to mention you shoot 500+ rounds through your carry gun in a variety of circumstances and you start to feel completely connected to it.  

Also -- did I mention that its a hell of a lot of fun?   ;D  

All that being said, the choice of schools and instructors is very important.  

Where are you in FL?

For a basic course, I HIGHLY recommend Randy Cain's Tactical Handgun 101 -- 3 day course.  Randy teaches outside of Tampa several times a year at Southern Exposure.   Randy is a martial arts master and as good with a handgun as you will find. He teaches at Gunsite and is a part of that particular school of thought, although he has his own ideas too.  After you take his class, you become a part of the family and you will undoubtably go back.

I can answer more questions here or by PM or e-mail if you want.  Randy's site is: www.cumberlandtactics.com.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 12:11:56 PM »
Zamboni, Welcome!  My other car is a zamboni, just kidding. Try Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch is in Oregon now. Thunder Ranch.com   I hope this helps. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 12:25:51 PM »
Zamboni, A change on that address. It is not the car guy. Try thunderranchinc.com     Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus