Author Topic: Advice on trigger pull  (Read 3426 times)

Offline robertd

Advice on trigger pull
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:00:34 PM »
I've become almost convinced that I'm ready to carry my R9. I'm competent at disassembly and getting it back together. Have chosen my load and am confident that I'm not likely to have a FTF. One thing bothers me. I've shot all sorts of hand guns for over 50 years and I've always pulled the trigger with the meaty part of the first joint. With the R9 I get whacked on the knuckle next to the nail on my trigger finger. I don't plan to make another range gun and though, uncomfortable it's not unbearable. I wonder if I should move my finger further toward the tip. It would not be my natural thing to do and figure that I should leave well-enough alone. Any ideas?

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
Re: Advice on trigger pull
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »
Robertd,

Someone who has experimented with this theory at some length claims it definitely helps.  My new method of shooting both the R9s and the Seecamp .380, which has even more of a "finger bite" is to stick my finger in to the crease at the joint.  I don't have a problem with the R9 either way though.

I suggest you give it a try.  I believe it will help. And of course there's always the tried and true "place a bandaid on the trigger finger before you shoot" method which many Seecamp .380 shooters use.  Or, a thin golf glove or shooting glove.  ;D   ;D  Actually, I prefer no glove or bandaid but to each thier own.

Regards, Quiet1
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Advice on trigger pull
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »
That is a difficult question to answer because of the different
sizes of everyone's hands. I have short fingers and the natural
place for the R9 trigger finger is just forward of the first joint.
Some guns with long trigger reaches just do not work for me
because it puts the trigger too close to the finger tip with a
corresponding loss of leverage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:44:09 PM by tracker »