Author Topic: Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground...  (Read 21307 times)

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground...
« on: March 25, 2006, 04:47:37 PM »
With apologies to Tom Petty and his fans everywhere, I offer up this morsel for you to digest. This is typed directly from today's Atlanta Journal & Constitution and it has been edited for brevity.

Feel free to move to Georgia. Enjoy!

Your pal,
Boy Georgia

Quote:
Georgians would be free to shoot muggers, carjackers, and other attackers without fear of being prosecuted or sued under a NRA-backed  bill that won final legislative approval Friday.
Called the 'stand your ground' bill by supporters and the 'shoot first' measure by opponents, Senate Bill 396 is patterned on a law enacted last year in Florica and is similar to measures sweeping through legislatures in at least 15 other states.
The Georgia House approved the bill 115-42 on Friday, after the Senate approved it last month. It now goes to Gov. Sonny Perdue, who is expected to sign it into law.
The bill extends Georgians' right to use deadly force to defend themselves, now restricted to a person's home and car, to public places such as parks, sidewalks, and parking lots. The bill requires that the person justify that they were at risk of serious bodily injury or death. It also indicates that citizens have no duty to retreat if attacked, a matter  upon which the law is currently silent...

Andrew Arulanandam, Director of Public Affairs for the NRA, said the bill was sound public policy. "All it does is provide victims of crime an option to either stand their ground and defend themselves and their loved ones or retreat," Arulanandam said. "We believe it is important that the law be on the side of victims rather than criminals."

OK, now Steve is talking (that'd be me;^)
I couldn't type the whole article, but I almost could not believe that this bill actually passed. I was SURE that it would be defeated, but much to my surprise and delight, I was WRONG! You heard it here first, Steve has admitted that he is wrong on something. That's almost as good as this bill being passed! At least the leaders of our State realize that most of us believe in freedom. I give them credit for listening.

Ya'll be good, now.

Steve
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground..
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 05:18:24 PM »
Good on you Georgia guys.  
I live in Michigan, which is a shall-issue state.  Even Ohio has finally seen the light.  Illinois (home state of Hillary Clinton), New Jersey, & New York (adopted state of the Clintons) - forget about defending yourself.  Just read an article in the paper about Mayor Bloomberg of NYC saying that guns are flooding into wonderful N.Y. from states like Pennsylvania where guns are readily available.  Governor Corzine of New Jersey snivels the same clap trap.
Do they ever look at the crime rate in "shall-issue" states and conclude they are blaming the wrong people?  Nah!  Just mention the word "gun" to Bloomberg, Corzine, Daly and you immediatly notice the smell of a runny tummy.  Can you imagine those guys in charge if - when - the next terror attack hits.
Sorry for the rant, but our thinking of our good fortune in living in enlightened states makes me feel really bad for those who don't.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 05:44:15 PM »
This all gives me hope that the trend will continue thru other states.  

IMO it is necessary - and for sure the one thing that really yanks my chain is the thought of some scumbag or his family, feeling they can sue me in civil court!  If a BG is killed or injured and it is deemed a good SD shoot then all bets are off re litigation - the perp has (should have) his rights cancelled on that score - and so too by default his family.

I just cringe at the cases where ''loving lil' Billy'' - the son who was so wonderful, decided to go rob a five and dime, shoot the clerk but then get a bullet from another employee.  After which he and or his family, file suit against the legitimate defender, possibly ruining his life.

Sorry - rant getting better of me!

[size=13] but our thinking of our good fortune in living in enlightened states makes me feel really bad for those who don't.[/size]

Steve - 10:4 on that - I am constantly almost in despair for some of our fellow Americans in some areas.  Where is the level playing field I wonder. :(
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 08:30:11 PM »
TX will hopefully get a protection from civil suits eventually, otherwise we're pretty pro-gun...Shudder's in horror of the idea of an election between and anti-gun RINO and the Creature known as Billary...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 08:42:42 PM »
I've heard it said that the experienced street punks and convicted criminals really don't fear the law or prison all that much.  They know the ropes and what they can do to deal with the "knowns".  What is feared more is a CCW citizen with a little training. We don't have the training and the repetition of "testing circumstances" that LEOs have...thus, less restraint.  IMO, if a "stand your ground" statute existed here in Ohio, a significant drop in attacks outdide of the home might well occur.  I'd sure like to find out.....even down here in good. old backward Ohio...Mr.SSlater.  I know....we deserve it.  Brian

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Curtains for Criminals...
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 09:04:13 PM »
TX will hopefully get a protection from civil suits eventually, otherwise we're pretty pro-gun...Shudder's in horror of the idea of an election between and anti-gun RINO and the Creature known as Billary...

You mean the Hildebeast? Hillarious Clinton?

I think that the bad guys better get in all their badness now while they can. Once Uncle Sonny signs the law into effect it's curtains for the criminals...

Jim and Jane Curtain

"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 10:42:48 PM »
IMO,

The "Castle Doctrine" will sweep the country.as the "shall issue" laws have!! 8)

As they are passed,some will be "better" than others-main thing is that they get PASSED..

Over time,bit by bit,we will gain.. ;D

MI has the "Castle Doctrine" law being thrown about at this time,with any luck.we will be # 4!!

After our shall issue law passed,dire predictions were stated-NONE occured,and over time a few things have improved in the law!! :)

We will prevail,if we pay attention to who we elect!! :o

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 09:08:45 AM »
The south rises again with common sense laws that protect their citizens, I hope it spreads northward! :-/
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 09:15:48 AM »
Many of us would certainly welcome that, Newt.  By the way, I really like that holster.  Thanks again.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 11:19:22 AM »
While I will admit that I am not qualified to speak on this matter, It has never hindered me in the past.   :D

The surviving BG would not likely *sue*, if The BG was required to pay a filing fee of some type, or pay up front to the Attorney to start the suit.   In UK the loser of a suit pays all court costs, this would help as well.
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 01:29:01 PM »
Congratulations to the Georgia legislature!

Tennessee's "Stand Your Ground" Bill was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee last week and now goes to the Senate Calendar Committee.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 12:52:45 PM »
Thanks Hedrok, glad it worked for you! 8)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline ken

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 03:55:25 AM »
If not posted previously, just to let you know, Florida passed the castle law last year. Oh the press predicted all kinds of killings and mayhem. One group even printed up posters for the tourist telling them to be careful or they could get shot in Florida.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 10:12:01 AM »
yah, the Bradies :P
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 09:06:18 PM »
Georgia has passed it-Awaiting Govs signature..

Way to go!! ;D

http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=2106
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe