Author Topic: Update on Rohrbaugh -- New Information  (Read 43982 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Update on Rohrbaugh -- New Information
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:48:33 AM »
Exciting new information relating to the recent changes discussed on this forum.

Rohrbaugh Firearms has been acquired by an existing (large) firearms company.  As a condition of the transaction, Karl and Eric are limited on what they can say or do right now, during this transition period.  The name of the acquiring company is not public information yet.

The best news is that both Karl and Eric are remaining with the new company and will be an integral part of the Rohrbaugh brand going forward.  They are very excited about the opportunities in front of them.

We also now know that the Rohrbaugh maufacturing facilities are being moved to Pineville, North Carolina.

I will keep you all up to date as new information becomes publicly available.  I think you all will agree that this would appear to be great news for the Rohrbaugh brand.  Exciting times are ahead!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:01:55 AM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Update on Rohrbaugh -- New Information
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »
Para Ordnance was purchased by Freedom Group and moved to Pineville N.C., a small suburb of Charlotte, pop. ~7800.

January 30, 2012
Freedom Group Buys Para USA
Share This!
Facebook21
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
More
by CTD Mike
Related Topics: Industry News   
Freedom Group continues to acquire major firearms manufacturers at an astonishing pace. Earlier today they announced the acquisition of Para USA. Para Ordnance was located in Canada when they became the first successful manufacturer of high-capacity pistols based on John Browning’s 1911 design. In 2009 they moved their manufacturing facility to Pineville, North Carolina and changed their name to Para USA. No details were given on the specifics of today’s buyout in the official press release by Freedom Group.

CTD Mike's shooting buddy Josh loves his 18 shot Para
According to today’s press release, Para will continue building guns in Pineville. However, Freedom Group has a reputation for consolidating manufacturing in two areas, Ilion, New York and Mayfield, KY. Freedom Group closed down the Bushmaster plant in Windham, Maine and moved production of Bushmaster rifles to Ilion. Former Bushmaster employees let go by Freedom Group later started their own rifle production at the old Bushmaster plant under the name Windham Weaponry.
More recently, Freedom Group fired the top three people at Advanced Armament Corp, giving rise to rumors that AAC will also be moving to New York to consolidate with Remington. Freedom Group’s Chief Sales and Marketing Officer, E. Scott Blackwell denies those rumors.
Freedom Group’s press release states that Para will supply handguns “for consumers and our channel partners,” so expect to see Para built pistols sold under other brand names also owned by the company. Remington currently builds R1 handguns at their Ilion plant, so it appears that Remington 1911s will compete directly with single stack Para 1911s for the time being. Will we see a double stack, high capacity 1911 with the Remington name on it? Will Para stay in North Carolina or will they be relocated? What will Freedom Group buy next? Only they know for sure.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:13:46 AM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »
Wow! What types of changes have been made to products that are now made under the freedom  brand rather than the original makers?

Can we expect an improvement or decline in service/quality etc?

Marketing will probably increased and price and production will likely also be affected.

What will happen to our pre-freedom R9's warranty and values? Values seem like they would surely go up. Buy one now if ya can : )

INTRIGUING!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:08:23 PM »

I can only speculate, but the R-brothers are pleased with the move and excited about the future, so I don't think that would mean decreased anything if I know these guys.  It would certainly seem to mean a lot more money and resources at their disposal for customer servcie, manufacturing and R&D.

As far as warranty goes, the buyer purchased the company.  When you purchase the company, the warranty obligations come along with the ownership.  If they wanted to abandon the existing customers, they would have purchased only the assets and stripped the company bare.  Then again, why buy a high-end trademark just to trash the existing customer base?  That would not make sense.  I think this is good news for those who like the guns.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
I hope you are correct.  I have one that seems to be totally defective which I purchased NEW recently.  I talked to them and tried a few of it's preferred ammo they suggested.  Noting functions reliably.  It seems like a really strange move to disappear for weeks leaving everyone in the dark on what's going on.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »

Hard to say what is strange because things like this don't happen very often.  The entire company was purchased.  Karl and Eric are under contactual obligations about what they can say or do right now.  They aren't in control of this transition.  I suspect all will of these issues will be addressed before long. 

Large companies don't buy well-known brands just to ignore them.  Large companies buy well known brands to take advantage of their reputation and realize the full value of the brand's potential.  The fact that they are keeping Karl and Eric going forward should speak volumes.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »
DDGator said

"Large companies don't buy well-known brands just to ignore them.  Large companies buy well known brands to take advantage of their reputation and realize the full value of the brand's potential.  The fact that they are keeping Karl and Eric going forward should speak volumes."

This is all true and it happens every day in Corporate America.

It happened to the company I worked at for 30 years.  One thing I do know that after Karl and Eric have been their own bosses for 10+ years or more, they will not be happy in the new environment.  I put in my 2 years to satisfy the contract I signed and left.  Best move I ever made.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:22:59 PM »
One thing I do know that after Karl and Eric have been their own bosses for 10+ years or more, they will not be happy in the new environment.  I put in my 2 years to satisfy the contract I signed and left.  Best move I ever made.

I think they realize that things are going to be different, and they accept that.  However, the grind of running a small company on small margins and fighting to get every gun out the door (even though demand exceeded supply) was really draining on them.  They are hopeful that joining a large company with an established infrastructure that is dedicated to their products will allow them to do some of the projects and high level design work that has been beyond their reach.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 03:26:52 PM »
Agreed.

Bob: PM me if you would like to sell your R9

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline jetboater

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »
Freedom Group just changed their name a couple months ago to Remington Outdoor Company -- they're one of the largest firearms manufacturers in the world.

In addition to Para, they own at least 15 firearms related companies including Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, Barnes, and Marlin.

They are expanding rapidly-- for example, just last week they announced a new firearms   manufacturing plant in Alabama that will employ more than 2000 people.

Buying Rohrbaugh would be a good move for them.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:22:04 PM by jetboater »

Offline Magrred

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »
Freedom Group just changed their name a couple months ago to Remington Outdoor Company -- they're one of the largest firearms manufacturers in the world.

In addition to Para, they own at least 15 firearms related companies including Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, Barnes, and Marlin.

They are expanding rapidly-- for example, just last week they announced a new firearms   manufacturing plant in Alabama that will employ more than 2000 people.

Buying Rohrbaugh would be a good move for them.

I certainly hope the new Marlin's are not an example of the quality that the new owners will produce with the Rohrbaugh's. There is one nationally advertised gunsmith that charges a premium just to make the new Marlin's function. JMHO

Offline rcm11

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 10:40:36 PM »
I must say that the transition is already NOT a smooth one.  I sent a R9 in to them for repairs  after speaking with Maria a couple weeks ago.  Rohrbaugh refused the shipment twice and it was returned to me.  I had also ordered extra recoil springs and black grip screws. 

I feel left out in the rain, as I'm sure others on this forum do, too. 

You can't just up and move and cease ALL forms of communication, especially when you warrant your product and are the only outlet for parts.

I'm not happy with how my specific case was handled AT ALL....
Rohrbaugh R9 Special Forces
Kimber Super Carry Ultra
Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry Compact

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 11:10:28 PM »
Exactly.  I'm in the same situation as you.  Zero response in 2 weeks while in the middle of a repair/replacement. 

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 11:24:29 PM »
I must say that the transition is already NOT a smooth one.  I sent a R9 in to them for repairs  after speaking with Maria a couple weeks ago.  Rohrbaugh refused the shipment twice and it was returned to me.  I had also ordered extra recoil springs and black grip screws. 

I feel left out in the rain, as I'm sure others on this forum do, too. 

You can't just up and move and cease ALL forms of communication, especially when you warrant your product and are the only outlet for parts.

I'm not happy with how my specific case was handled AT ALL....

Eric mentioned your situation.  Given the timeframe of the deal, their FFL had to be moved.  He had no choice, legally, but to refuse delivery at an unlicensed location.   I am sure that your situation will be made right -- it is just very bad timing.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »
According to the FFL checker it's still valid at that address.  If you have contact with them I would suggest you encourage a formal announcement with some dates we can expect them to start supporting customers.  If they're closed for good I won't waste more time and will suck it up to see if a gunsmith locally can figure things out on mine.  First it was a move, then it was a sale.  It's looking like closed down more with every passing day.  If someone had actually purchased the company they would be taking calls and saving face.  Doing PR damage control and the standard business 101 stuff. 

Federal Firearms License Results

Warning: No one may use this screen, in lieu of the required certified copy of a Federal Firearms License, to acquire a firearm.

License Number:

6-11-XXX-XX-XX-00248

Expiration Date:

03/01/2015

License Name:

ROHRBAUGH FIREARMS CORP

Trade Name:

Premise Address:

71-73 EAST JEFRYN BLVD
DEER PARK
NY - 11729

Mailing Address: