Author Topic: Update on Rohrbaugh -- New Information  (Read 43854 times)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
Re: Update on Rohrbaugh -- New Information
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 09:49:10 PM »
All we can do is laugh and wait at this point.  Nobody to even yell at on the phone these days. 

Offline heyjoe

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »
the factory wasnt near any flooded areas during hurricane sandy

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »

I don't believe the factory had damage from Sandy.  However, Eric's house had a lot of damage, and Karl's house was virtually destroyed.  Sandy had a devastating effect on the Rohrbaugh brothers.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 10:52:44 PM »
I think it was near flooded areas but in any case Karl lost his home and I seriously doubt that any one close to that part of Long Island could navigate to work. Any place that was near sea level on that part of the South Shore was severely affected. My daughter lives on the upper east side in Manhattan and was relatively untouched and did not even lose power because of the high elevation. I used to live in Long Beach, N.Y. and that town still hasn't recovered from the devastation. Are you saying that the Rohrbaugh factory was fully functional without a loss of electrical power during Sandy? Even if that were the case, so what? 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:54:36 PM by tracker »

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 10:56:17 PM »
From an inside source:

Unfortunately due to damages incurred by hurricane Sandy we will not be able to attend this year’s Shot Show. At the 2012 Shot Show we introduced two NEW Custom R9 Models. The NEW Tribute is modeled after our R9 that was featured in NRA’s Shooting Illustrated magazine. The article went on to say that there were many great pistols and revolvers introduced that year, but the Rohrbaughs technical innovations and practicality are what garnered it a Golden Bullseye Award as the NRA “Shooting Illustrated 2005 Handgun of the Year”.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 11:03:09 PM »

I didn't read in your inside source that the factory sustained damage.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 10:12:27 AM »
Factory=Family operation (including local employees).
Family damaged by Sandy=Factory damaged by Sandy regardless of physical effect on the buidling
Just sayin'
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline jetboater

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 12:27:23 PM »
As someone who has been involved in a number of mergers and/or acquisitions, if either party is a publicly traded company, there are very strict rules, laws, and regulations about the timing of the disclosure of the transaction---violation of any of them bring the potential of severe penalties including jail time.  (IIRC, I believe Martha Stewart went to jail for using information about a transaction before it was publicly announced)

Communication may seem to have been handled poorly especially considering the amazingly high level of customer service we have received from Karl, Eric, and Maria in the past but I think the "communications plan" is beyond their control at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:46:03 PM by jetboater »

Offline heyjoe

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »
i was responding to the post that  stated that they thought the factory had been damaged. what i was saying is that there was no major long term damage to the factory . the factory was not near any flooded area. it is basically almost in the north/south center of long island, far from the ocean and far from the sound  obviously it was very difficult to get around. i had no electricity for 11 days. some people never lost electricity. i have no idea if or for how long the factory had no power.  the house next to mine got electricity back 4 days before i did, so there is no way for me to know.
im sure they like many suffered a severe financial hit that they have had a hard time recovering from.  i have no idea how much that influenced the sale or even if it did.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »
Thanks for keeping us all posted DDGator.

As we consider this a saying of my father in law comes to mind ...

"if if's and but's were candies and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas"

It's just life. I'm just glad that they will remain in business and that I do have a decently functioning original now that you guys schooled me.

Wish it didn't have so many "test" rounds through it, but mine has some character I can tell ya.

Hopefully they will be up and running before long : )
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Drumbum

• NRA Member
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »
 It occurs to me that the new owners may choose to ramp up production in order to recoup their purchase cost. Maybe we'll see the magic 10,000 # that Crimson Trace wants in order to make a laser in 2 years instead of 4. Then we all get to buy new holsters! Also, you gotta suspect Deer Park guns will see an increase in value as collector items. Not that anyone here would sell...

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »

I absolutely believe that a new owner with lots of resources would crank up production numbers.  Demand has always out-paced supply, so the brothers have always been leaving money on the table.

Another interesting thought it what this means for the price.  Larger volumes of production should mean lower prices. 

And I do agree that the "original" hand-fitted guns made in New York will have more desirability and collectability (and value).

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
I must say that the transition is already NOT a smooth one.  I sent a R9 in to them for repairs  after speaking with Maria a couple weeks ago.  Rohrbaugh refused the shipment twice and it was returned to me.  I had also ordered extra recoil springs and black grip screws. 

I feel left out in the rain, as I'm sure others on this forum do, too. 

You can't just up and move and cease ALL forms of communication, especially when you warrant your product and are the only outlet for parts.

I'm not happy with how my specific case was handled AT ALL....

I have to ask, is the gun you attempted to return to the factory the gun you are currently trying to sell on gunbroker?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:00:54 PM by wildmanwill »

Offline rcm11

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2014, 11:12:41 AM »
Nope.  I currently have 4 Pups in my dog pound.  My faulty one is a new Stealth with a trigger that only pulls the hammer all the way back about once in every three attempts.  Maria thought it was burrs on the trigger bar that needed to be replaced.  I overnighted the gun to them, only to have it refused twice and then returned to me.  I'm out the overnight shipping costs and the insurance totaling about $122.00

Several voicemails and emails have been left unanswered, which as a self-employed business owner baffles and infuriates me.  I have a Covet, a Stealth, and a two tone that all work fine, but I'm in desperate need of recoil springs, which another forum member was kind enough to take care of for me as he had one to spare.

I'm going to stick with only black Pups as they are meaner looking and are less visible if I bend over or have a looser fitting pair of pants with a larger front pocket opening.

I will also add that I have found the Federal Premium 124gr HST to be flawless in ALL four of my R9s.  Out of short barrel guns, they also tested better ballistically than the 124gr standard pressure Speer Gold Dots per a very thorough and informative YouTube ammo test conducted using a different short barrel semi auto 9mm.

I think the least the company could have done was to set an email auto responder stating that for the time being, nothing would be happening sales or service-wise with Rohrbaugh.  Or, put up a banner on their website stating the same.  Seems like basic common sense and courtesy, and should not negatively affect the sale or moving of the company.....just my two cents.
Rohrbaugh R9 Special Forces
Kimber Super Carry Ultra
Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry Compact

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 11:27:25 AM »
Nope.  I currently have 4 Pups in my dog pound.  My faulty one is a new Stealth with a trigger that only pulls the hammer all the way back about once in every three attempts.  Maria thought it was burrs on the trigger bar that needed to be replaced.  I overnighted the gun to them, only to have it refused twice and then returned to me.  I'm out the overnight shipping costs and the insurance totaling about $122.00

Several voicemails and emails have been left unanswered, which as a self-employed business owner baffles and infuriates me.  I have a Covet, a Stealth, and a two tone that all work fine, but I'm in desperate need of recoil springs, which another forum member was kind enough to take care of for me as he had one to spare.

I'm going to stick with only black Pups as they are meaner looking and are less visible if I bend over or have a looser fitting pair of pants with a larger front pocket opening.

I will also add that I have found the Federal Premium 124gr HST to be flawless in ALL four of my R9s.  Out of short barrel guns, they also tested better ballistically than the 124gr standard pressure Speer Gold Dots per a very thorough and informative YouTube ammo test conducted using a different short barrel semi auto 9mm.

I think the least the company could have done was to set an email auto responder stating that for the time being, nothing would be happening sales or service-wise with Rohrbaugh.  Or, put up a banner on their website stating the same.  Seems like basic common sense and courtesy, and should not negatively affect the sale or moving of the company.....just my two cents.

Thank Robert - I will encourage my friend to continue bidding! Regards, Will