Author Topic: Considering the Beginning…and the End  (Read 28020 times)

Offline thewalk

• Sharpshooter
Re: Considering the Beginning…and the End
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »
Thank you for such a great site. As an 8 year R9 owner and 6 1/2 year member of this site, I appreciate your hard work and the wealth of information we have available because of it. Nowhere else on the web has the solid info, so well organized, as we do here.

So thank you again. Please consider continuing this site and wait for the good things to come. I predict this site becomes more valuable, the further we get from the sale of Rohrbaugh. I can't find an official announcement on that sale online anywhere.

Marc

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 11:23:12 PM »

You are right, Marc--there isn't any official announcement and that is a troubling aspect of this odyssey to nowhere at the present time.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 06:22:16 PM »
Just my opinion…announcements from a large company that has bought a smaller prestigious company is good pr. No announcement…they just bought Rohrbaugh for the technology.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »

Following the R-51 9mm pistol and 700 Rifle X-Mark Pro 1 trigger debacles it looks like they need some help in the technology area. I heard a rumor that there are some openings in their legal department.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »
Just my opinion…announcements from a large company that has bought a smaller prestigious company is good pr. No announcement…they just bought Rohrbaugh for the technology.

I really doubt that they bought Rohrbaugh just for the technology.  JMO

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 10:28:15 PM »
Me too, but I also think that Remington had a confluence of negative events that occurred about the same time of the alleged Rohrbaugh buyout and that may be the reason for the stonewalling.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:40:23 PM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »
Me too, but I also think that Remington had a confluence of negative events that occurred about the same time of the alleged Rohrbaugh buyout and that may be the reason for the stonewalling.

I agree.  With the failure of the much heralded R51 failing in production version, and  working for Stock Holders/Investors who probably know nothing about guns and do not want to, it puts everyone in a bad place.

The Remington 700 has been the best, low priced rifle for years.  In the last 5 to 10 years Savage has surpassed them in my opinion and with the trigger problems now, they take another blow.

Some people in the upper Management level will probably lose their jobs over these problems.

Makes a 12 gun per week pistol operation seem pretty unimportant.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 10:06:45 AM »

What technology?   I don't thinks so...  Assuming Rohrbuagh had some patent or trade secret of value to Remington, they could have bought that from the company without buying the stock of the company.  By buying the entire company, Remington assumed all of the warranty obligations and potential liabilities going way into the future.  If you just want technology, you can strip that out and avoid the rest of the hassle.

The only logical reason to buy the company is to produce Rohrbaugh guns (with some modifications perhaps) under the Rohrbaugh name.  Rohrbaugh needed an influx of capital to build guns and an economy of scale in producing guns.  Remington, in theory, could provide both things. 

However, plans change.  Remington has a lot of bigger problems right now and this likely got back-burnered.  Maybe they changed their minds entirely.  It is hard to say.  I don't think Remington spent so much money on this deal that they feel they have to move forward with it.

All indications in the begining were that Big Green planned to make Rohbaugh pistols.  Now, I wouldn't put too much money on that.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 11:06:25 PM »
Some people in the upper Management level will probably lose their jobs over these problems.

I've seldom seen upper management wonks get shit-canned.

Usually when they "leave", they deploy their golden parachute a glide gracefully to their next position.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »

Not always the case; reference the latest ignominious departure of Bill Gross from the founder of Pimco, one of the largest bond funds. Of course, he is only leaving his ego in Newport CA but the fortune, as you say, is still intact but not at his speed.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
The only ones capable of debugging the R9 are the 'Brothers Rohrbaugh'. I can see 'Cylinder and Slide', and the bill $$ involved. I see no point of Remington buying the company, and the liabilities, when Remington could just buy the production rights. That's what Colt did with John Browning and his 1911

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 05:59:13 PM »

I tend to agree with you, but whatever their intentions the deal with Rohrbaugh is already done. They just haven't disclosed the details to many interested parties yet.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
Gun owners get irate over jam-a-matics. My seecamp was down for 2 months, my Browning HP was 5 months, and my Sig 232 was 45 days. I hit a stage where I won't tolerate a jammer. And what's worse is I only buy the supposed best (Kimbers, Sigs, S&W, and brownings. And everyone has seen a trip to the factory.

And now I see why everyone eventually gravitates to a 1911. The Glocks and Khars maybe dependable, but 'striker fired' with no safety isn't a pocket gun.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
About the only thing more frustrating than a malfunctioning weapon is a vehicle that won't run. What was the problem with the HP? I think one key with guns like Glocks and 1911s is that the parts are drop-in and available to a gunsmith without sending the gun back to the factory. Others will not provide parts outside of their shop.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:24:12 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
Gun owners get irate over jam-a-matics. My seecamp was down for 2 months, my Browning HP was 5 months, and my Sig 232 was 45 days. I hit a stage where I won't tolerate a jammer. And what's worse is I only buy the supposed best (Kimbers, Sigs, S&W, and brownings. And everyone has seen a trip to the factory.

And now I see why everyone eventually gravitates to a 1911. The Glocks and Khars maybe dependable, but 'striker fired' with no safety isn't a pocket gun.

I had great turnaround time out of my Kimber solo recently. It is a nice pocket gun, and has the safety you prefer if you choose to use it.

Also, I am not really keen on placing a 1911 style pistol in my pocket cocked and locked. Makes me feel funny. Not a good pocket gun either IMO. Anybody else have this aversion?

The Kahr has a long double action trigger thereby making it very similar to a revolver or a Rohrbaugh. It seems to be a good pocket pistol option. Just haven't seen quite the reliability out of mine yet to feel 100% like a Glock or my solo.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:21:15 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)