Author Topic: Black Box  (Read 10290 times)

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
Black Box
« on: December 27, 2018, 10:05:21 PM »
I stumbled across the patent for the elusive black box used to assist in disassembly of our beloved R9's so I'm attaching it for those who may also find it interesting.  Wish they were still available because I would definitely purchase one or two.
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Black Box
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:48:04 AM »
Thanks for posting!  I have one and it has made a world of difference in takedown and cleaning...wish I had more!  Another trick to make reassembly easy is to buy a blue buss puller at Lowe’s; Dremel a semicircular cut in one side and use it to compress the recoil spring while placing it back in the slide.  These 2 items have made cleaning the Pup a joy, even with my arthritic hands.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
Ah yes, I recall correctly DavidS called it the “SlideBlok” disassembly device here on the forum.  I am fortunate enough to have one and feel that it does help. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:34:07 PM by wildmanwill »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
David Shober was a good chap and one of our shareholders at the time.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 11:12:00 PM »
So, what is the story on them?

Is David S. still around and making them?  If no, why not?

Patent still in effect?

Does not look like it would be much of an issue with a drill press and a few other basic wood working tools to make some.

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »
Quote from: DavidS in 2013
Sales have been temporarily suspended due to the escalation in cost and challenge in acquiring liability insurance renewal for any firearms related sales. I am working to resolve this issue and I will advise when sales will resume. I appreciate your support and thank you for your interest.

And yes, I believe the patent is still in effect as the patent term is 20 years if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:46:32 PM by wildmanwill »

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »
Check out the link below - I believe he was asked to take this page down by the patent holder back in the day, but since his is no longer selling his patented device I thought perhaps this info might be helpful for someone looking to make their own tool.  The page was taken down but it still on the internet wayback machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070202151031/http://bedair.org/Rohr/Rohrbaugh.html

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:02:30 PM by wildmanwill »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »
That is a tool made by Steve Bedair from Gladewater TX and one that I have used for years. To Steve's credit he shows Rohrbaughers how to make it. Unfortunately, Steve passed away in 2015 from complications of lung cancer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:34:45 PM by tracker »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
So, what is the story on them?

Is David S. still around and making them?  If no, why not?

Patent still in effect?

Does not look like it would be much of an issue with a drill press and a few other basic wood working tools to make some.

David was a doctor. I haven't seen nor spoken to him in well over 12 years so I have no idea what he is doing.
He lived in Pittsburgh, PA at the time and is a very nice man.
He showed Karl and I the item and, frankly, we gave him our well wishes. . . . . but we never felt the need for it as we can put the R9 together very easily without it.

That's all I have on the topic guys.

Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 08:22:24 PM »
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the responses.

Obviously making the tool out of PVC is pretty easy and inexpensive.  I'll probably make one or two to see how it works.

However, making the other one out of a good piece of an exotic wood with a nice finish on it might be in the works soon as well.

bamboobob

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 08:47:55 PM »
Pvc.  Band saw. File

Wedge, ring(slide block) and fork(compression tool)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 08:52:46 PM by bamboobob »

bamboobob

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
Bump