Author Topic: Kimber SOLO Alert!  Important!  (Read 7309 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Kimber SOLO Alert!  Important!
« on: April 01, 2011, 11:44:57 PM »
First full day of carrying the SOLO.  I had it in an IWB holster.  Wore it for probably 7 hours.  Just took the holster out, with weapon still inside, and the magazine was released.  It could/would have fallen out if drawn in an emergency.  I still like the weapon, and will probably carry it again being aware of the potential issue, but my confidence is diminished to say the least.  I attribute the unintentional mag release to the ambidextrous release and simply sitting and pushing the button.  Rohrbaugh got it right with the mag release European style.  If you ever wondered why, now you know.  Ol’ Trusty Pup….won’t leave home without her tomorrow or subsequent days…  Not baggin’ on the SOLO too much, as another holster may be fine.  But, I’ve carried a number of other makes IWB and not once had that happened.  Just be aware my Friends…  In the Pup the Toad Trusts…
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Kimber SOLO Alert!  Important!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »
Just wondering how that would transfer over to a pocket holster.....

Also, as you mentioned - Euro mag release benefit of R9, some guys just don't get it!   PRIME EXAMPLE

Shot little, carried a lot -- problably won't be doing mag changes anyway.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:10:12 AM »
Right On!  Not a lot of mag changes.  Can't speak for all...but if others shoot like several of us on here....I'll take my 7 rounds against the punks 15+ any day.  Most cannot hit a paper plate at 15 yards.  A well aimed (or trained) shot will always prevail over spray.  I do realize it is easier said than done.  But for those of us who have been shot at ( and in some cases shot) and returned fire, we know the need to stay cool.  To all of us, train, shoot, train....and think often about what you would do in any given situation.  Again, I don't downplay the fog of battle, nor do I profess to know it all as each situation is different.  But I do know, even for those who have been there, that the time on the range will pay off....picture the situations in your mind, and plan for all contingencies.  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 12:10:42 AM »
Toad, Sad to hear that, and look forward to future updates.
   But also I'm not much into IWB carry, it will be interesting to hear about other carry methods.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:12:30 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:18:30 AM »
Yes, Yank, I was disappointed to say the least.  I pulled the holster out and saw that released mag and my typically poker face revealed my inner thoughts.  Dang it...I was starting to think the SOLO would find a home on my side....good gun, works well, but IWB may not work.  I'll try it again, but my confidence is damaged.  Thing is, the release buttons aren't easily pushed, but it did release and the mag would have fell.  That I know...  Can't count on the first shot...takes two or more to get composure enough to put lead on target...  I have a couple other holsters on order and will try them when they get here and will report appropriately.  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 06:22:11 AM »
Hi Toad,

Thanks for your report as I am one watching reports on this model, if you would, was the holster designed for the Solo?
Care to say what brand or model? even in a PM?
It may be good to report this problem to the holster maker?

Again thanks for your reporting.

J.W.
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:25:56 AM »
Good question J.W.  The holster is rather generic.  It was not made specific to anything.  It was an inexpensive IWB shirt tuck style I found on line.  The tag says Ace Case.  The gun fits it very well but now looking at it, the seam ridge (thickest part of the holster) rides right on the mag release button, on both sides.  The side with the holster retention clip is extra thick.  So, it is very possible the problem was caused by the holster.  I’ll have to see what the purpose made holsters from Galco look like when they come in.  

American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »

yep, a holster design problem. its not a kimber problem.

any mag release that's mounted next to the grips can be popped accidentally when carried in a soft holster.  

probably will need to find a hard holster that has a relieved area around the mag button.

if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
I do agree, it is a holster problem.  The button does not release easy.  I'm taking the gun to the range tomorrow and put another 200 through it and see how it does.  So far so good...
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »
Thanks Toad,

I appreciate you keeping us informed :)
You learning about these things teachs us all.
J.W.
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DiamondD

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 05:48:16 PM »
This is one of the reasons I really like the mag release on the R9. I think that for a pocket pistol the heel release is much better than a conventional release.  

For IWB carry I would prefer kydex or molded leather, but these pistols (IMO) shine in the pocket.

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 01:26:39 AM »
I've been carrying the SOLO for a while now, same holster, and haven't had another problem...that being said....I'm not ready to replace the R9....
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »
We all call the heel type magazine release European style, and some how we all know what that means, the truth of the matter the thumb style magazine release was also invented in Europe.

With that said, I trust the heel style release as on the Seecamp and the R9, and as stated above, they are pistols made for defense
and shot little so you may not see anyone changing magazines in a shoot out.