Author Topic: How to remove screws  (Read 33799 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: How to remove screws
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2011, 10:08:19 PM »
I don't know if you've thought about it, but the Hogue extreme grips would really set it off even more, at least, to me; $69.95 from the Rohrbaugh store.  Excellent grips!  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
There was a member offering after market black screws at one time, before Rohrbaugh had them, and that is were I got mine. They look better with the black CF grips than the silver screws did.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2011, 10:34:23 PM »
I liked your term, John; more Stealthy!    ;)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline dano

• Expert
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2011, 07:33:40 PM »

I think so too. Sometimes you think something is going to be good but when you actually try it you find you don't like it. In this case the black grip screws look even better in person than they do in the picture (to my eye anyway).

JR;

The black screws look "Stealthy"! Now the search for black Torx "Stealthy" screws begins.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:34:16 PM by dano »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 07:51:07 PM »
If they were pink and went easy in and easy out and stayed firmly intact at the range I would jump on them. Stealthy is as stealthy does.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:54:56 PM by tracker »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
 "Now the search for black Torx "Stealthy" screws begins".

Save your time, I have looked and no one stocks them in that size with a Torx head . I found a company that would make the Torx screws that would fit the R9, but the minimum order was 5000 pieces @ $ .69 each :o :o  The size of the grip screw is an odd one and many places don't even carry it.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline dano

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »
John;

Thanks for the info. That my friend, saves me a lot of wasted time.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »
Some additional information - you all may recall my comments about black grip screws.

Well today I got to the range with the pup for the first time since installing the black screws. While I didn't shoot quite as many rounds as I did the first range session, I checked the grip screws just now. While the first range session managed to loosen up 3 out of 4 screws, after the second range session, all 4 screws are tight. While I know I could remove them (because I removed two night before last and while they were tight I could easily break them free with no visible damage to the hex sockets) I see no need to - the lube is still fresh and the area is clean so there's no need to.

I consider it an improvement that the screws stayed tight - as they should.

I am also working on what might be a better hex key for pup screws; I just received an order this morning and want to figure out a way to quantify and verify the manufacturer's claims for the tool - they claim that it can supply 20% more torque without rounding out the screw socket than standard hex key designs. If true (and it sounds a little bit hard for me to believe) then it could represent not only a cheap but a better solution - regardless of whether stainless or black grip screws are used.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2011, 06:44:44 AM »
JR:

That all sounds good. Please let us know the results of that hex key venture.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Mort

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »
Tracker,

Glad to hear you got the Hudy.  That's the same place I got mine.

You have probably allready tried it.  If not, make sure the set screw on the handle is tight and engaging the flat spot on the blade. Mine was not and did not.

Great little tool!

Mort

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2011, 09:21:06 PM »

Thanks, Mort. I haven't used it yet because I just received the screws from John this week. That is very timely advice and I appreciate it.

Offline silvertaby

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 01:24:16 AM »
I have a set of VZ grips on the way for my pup. Is there anything I should know about before removing the factory grips? Anything gonna pop out at me? Any tricks I should know about while the grips are off? Thanx much for any help! P.S. I'm glad I went with the Rohrbaugh. I've put around 100 rounds at the range and never had a single mishap. It's good to know this WILL go bang if I need it to!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2011, 08:54:30 AM »
silvertaby.  Welcome to the Forum.  Glad you like your R9 and thanks for sharing your range results.  I'll let others describe grip removal as I've never removed mine.  Best to hear it from the relm of experience.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:57:40 AM by kjtrains »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »
silvertaby:

Welcome to the Forum!

When you remove the grips, nothing is going to go flying across the room but the trigger spring and transfer bar may be dislodged. The photographs at this link to Chris's FAQ Site show how they should be positioned:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/r9-detail-pics.htm
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline silvertaby

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2011, 10:16:28 AM »
Wow, Thanx for the Welcome and those pics! Outstanding. Looks like I might put a touch of Gun Butter in a few places on the trigger mechanism... Talk about simple innards. Maybe that's why this bad boy is so reliable! I really like this forum. Gives newbies like me some valuable info!  Larry  P.S. I am waiting on the Black Cherry grips for my standard R9s (R4675)