Author Topic: Needing opinions on 1911's  (Read 9212 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
Needing opinions on 1911's
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:52:44 AM »
Tonight I liquidated several firearms to a dealer friend of mine.  I sold him 11 guns in total that have been taking up room in my safe, all were guns that I have not used in a long time and no longer shoot, Glocks, 2 shotguns, etc... None of them individually were anything spectacular, however with the sale of 11 firearms, I got a nice little chunk of change and have my eye fixed on something I have never had.  I will be in the market for an 'investment grade' high end 1911.  The 5 manufacturers I'm researching are Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, Les Bear, and Christensen Arms.  I am looking for the highest levels of craftsmanship, fit, finish, etc.  I have experience with the Ed Brown Executive Series and the Wilson Combat CQB Elite firearms.  Having fired both of them, honestly I'd be sold on either.  After watching the several sour reviews of Ed Brown's customer service, and hearing nothing but praise about Wilson's, I think I must factor that in.   I know that Wilson firearms have transferable lifetime warranties, which is comforting to know.   I will be looking at full size 1911 models.  Nothing against the compact models, but I couldn't bring myself to carry something I paid that much for.  However, if I can afford 2 of them, then perhaps!! 

I'd like to know our member's opinions on any of the above mentioned makers, models, experiences, and so forth.  This is going to be a major purchase and I'm really doing a lot of research.  However, the opinion of fellow guns nuts like myself, who's judgement and knowledge I have come to respect means a great deal and I really appreciate any thoughts you can provide.  I know that I can easily buy a good 1911, but in your opinion, with any of these makers, do you feel that the extra cost was justifiable with the final product that you received?  I am really looking forward to adding a superbly manufactured 1911 to the collection and look forward to reading your thoughts.

-Adam

Links to each manufacturer.  Please let me know what models you like or dislike.

Wilson:   http://www.wilsoncombat.com/new/default.asp

Les Baer:  http://www.lesbaer.com/

Ed Brown:  http://www.edbrown.com/

Nighthawk:  http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/index.php/

Christensen Arms: http://christensenarms.com/handgun-pistol

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:59:42 AM by thor447 »
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Needing opinions on 1911's
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
I might suggest that you add STI to that formidable list you have compiled, giving particular attention to the Sentinel Premier:

http://www.stiguns.com/products/guns/pistols/1911-pistols/

Another approach might be to purchase a "Plain Jane" Colt Government model and then turn it over to one of the master gunsmiths for modification to your choice. Of course, that option requires a year or more to complete. You might also expect to have a minimum of $3,000 invested in the piece when it is completed.

Good luck! You have an enjoyable project lined up for yourself.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »

Also, I would add Volkmann Precision to that high end custom list.

http://www.volkmannprecision.com/main/gallery.html#12

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »
Personally, I'd lean toward the Ed Brown, followed closely by the Wilson... only because I've shot examples of both (Brown Executive Carry; don't remember which model WC) owned by friends of mine.  Both were very accurate and had impeccable workmanship. 

The Christensen seems tricky from the standpoint of having a titanium frame, but they haven't been making 1911s very long, so I wouldn't personally consider their version until they have more mileage.
Ted

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:28:12 PM »
Two others that are worth consideration would be Stan Chen Customs and GunCrafter Industries.

Gun crafter makes a great gun and I have read a lot of good post about them, you may also want to jump up to the 50 cal they make it's pretty impressive.

http://store.chencustom.com/Stan_Chen_Custom_Pistols_s/76.htm

http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/product_line.shtml

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:31:45 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sludwinjr

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »
ive owned all 5 that you have listed at 1 point.....all are great guns, but heres my opinioin....

wilson combat-  excellant guns,  ive owned 3, still have 2, both are a dream to shoot, excellant fit and finish, customer service is phenominal, none is better, the best of the best from my experience

christensen arms- these are really nice, actually my second favorite. i have the officers model and it shoots like a dream as my wilson sentinell does. the fitting on these is great, i dont see them around to much, but they are very nice guns.....you should be able to get a wilson for the same price if not cheaper.....

ed brown- nothing bad about these, ive had no issues, for the money to me its not as good as a wilson combat.......wilson hands down

les baer-  read a lot of ranting andraving on these, to me not worth it, ive handles a few and owned 2, sold them all.  they are way to tight fitted, the finish looks par at best to me, i was not hapy with these and wouldnt buy another. not worth the money

nighthawk custom-  had a couple of these as well, no real issues functioning wise, the finish did not hold up on any nighthawk i have had, and had a issue with 1 of them ( trigger bar/barrel lugs not fitted) and customer service was a joke.  took over a week to get a call back, and i had to pay return shipping....on a $3000+ gun..your crazy......so after that sold them all.....i know all mfgr's have issues at some point, but the cust service killed it

*****wilon combat all the way......christensen arms 2nd.....
****** have a few STI"s, and i am very happy with them, i will reccomend STI's all day.....if you cant/dont want to spend the $$$ on a wilson, STI has some very very nice options.....

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
Welcome and thanks for your considerably experienced comments. A few years ago I was talking to a range mate and he had a Wilson with the "ARMOR-TUFF" finish that was flaking off and unacceptable. It is refreshing to hear that they have recovered well and are performing admirably.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:42:57 PM by tracker »

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:56:02 PM »
Adam,

Check out www.p3llc.com I own a very special "Black" model that I will take pictures of and post when I can. Christopher is a gentleman and extremely knowledgeable about 1911's.

Good luck building back up your inventory!

Robar233

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 12:57:54 AM »
Thank you all for the very informative replies.  Good to know about finish issues with the Nighthawks.  That is something I haven't heard of yet, but very good to know.   At the moment I'm leaning towards a few of the Wilson models and will have the opportunity to view them this weekend at the Tulsa Arms Show.   I am very impressed with the Volkmann Precision and Chen Custom pistols that were referenced.  Right now I think I'm leaning more towards Wilson's favor.  I think that another factor that must be considered when I purchase a new custom 1911, is it's ability to somewhat holds it's value.  With Wilson's name being more recognizable in the 1911 community, I think that it will hold it's value somewhat better than smaller manufacturers if I find myself later needing to sell the firearm.  (hopefully this will never happen).   

Again I will keep my eye's open and thank you all for the excellent info.

And John, I'm not rebuilding the inventory.  There's plenty of stock left!!  Just getting rid of some dead weight and making room for nicer, more shiny stuff!!

-Adam
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
Thank you all for the very informative replies.  Good to know about finish issues with the Nighthawks.  That is something I haven't heard of yet, but very good to know.   At the moment I'm leaning towards a few of the Wilson models and will have the opportunity to view them this weekend at the Tulsa Arms Show.   I am very impressed with the Volkmann Precision and Chen Custom pistols that were referenced.  Right now I think I'm leaning more towards Wilson's favor.  I think that another factor that must be considered when I purchase a new custom 1911, is it's ability to somewhat holds it's value.  With Wilson's name being more recognizable in the 1911 community, I think that it will hold it's value somewhat better than smaller manufacturers if I find myself later needing to sell the firearm.  (hopefully this will never happen).   

Again I will keep my eye's open and thank you all for the excellent info.

And John, I'm not rebuilding the inventory.  There's plenty of stock left!!  Just getting rid of some dead weight and making room for nicer, more shiny stuff!!

-Adam

I have a Wilson CQB full size and a Wilson CQB Bill Wilson carry model both are outstanding. I also have two Wilson rifles and a shotgun which are outstanding. The pistols have perfect balance and feel like an extension of your hand.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »

-Adam

"Shiny stuff"?  Did someone mention "shiny stuff?"   ;)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »

-Adam

"Shiny stuff"?  Did someone mention "shiny stuff?"   ;)

haha
- George Washington