Author Topic: Accuracy In Different Environments  (Read 5348 times)

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
Accuracy In Different Environments
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:45:12 AM »
I have to admit that I have been getting discouraged with my accuracy with the pup lately. I run two or three magazines through it whenever I hit my local indoor range. I try to spend 1 or 2 hours there every other week because it helps me relax and relieve stress from work. I wouldn't say I'm a great shot with my R9, but sometimes I was totally missing a 5" ring at 7 yards. I know it takes practice because I primarily shoot single action pistols but some of my shots were down right embarrassing!

So this past weekend, I go shooting on a friends property and decided to bring the R9. It's been a few weeks since I have been able to hit the range so I figured it needed a little exercise. This is the first time I've fired it outdoors. We were shooting clay pigeons about 25 yards out with various rifles and pistols. Surprisingly, I was able to break an average of 4 out of 6 with every magazine. Needless to say my appreciation for the R9 was renewed but does anyone have any idea why there would be such a difference in my accuracy? Better lighting, fresh air, birds chirping? I can't figure it out. I hope I wasn't just having a lucky day.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Accuracy In Different Environments
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:31:05 AM »
As in golf, the harder you try, the worse you get.  I'll bet you were loose, having fun, reacting to the target with no real expectations and thus you didn't let your brain get in the way of your body's natural abilities.  Happens to me too...I'm not a good target shooter, but do better on "perp" targets where the shots are more reflexive.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:48:32 PM »
As in golf, the harder you try, the worse you get.  I'll bet you were loose, having fun, reacting to the target with no real expectations and thus you didn't let your brain get in the way of your body's natural abilities.  Happens to me too...I'm not a good target shooter, but do better on "perp" targets where the shots are more reflexive.

G:

I second the remarks of the Honorable Physician from East Tennessee.

If you have been  accustomed to shooting single-action handguns, the DAOs can be a different experience altogether. It would appear that you and your R9 are "getting to know each other." Just remember that a 13-ounce pistol chambered for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge is already at the far edge of the envelope and intended for up-close-and-personal use.  Any 10-rings obtained beyond seven yards are getting into the area of bragging rights.

Good shooting, and stay safe.

[Edited typo.]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:22:52 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:53:36 PM »
Thank you gentlemen, all very good points that I did not occur to me. The more I think about it, I guess I was much more relaxed since I was just out having fun with some friends. I usually go to the indoor range alone so I can concentrate on my technique and it seems I've been concentrating too much... I think I'll try the more relaxed mindset the next time I hit the range. Although I'm not sure I want to shoot indoors anymore. Watching the clay pigeons explode instead of looking for little holes in paper is addicting!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »

It could be as simple as improving with practice.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:57:58 PM »
Thank you gentlemen, all very good points that I did not occur to me. The more I think about it, I guess I was much more relaxed since I was just out having fun with some friends. I usually go to the indoor range alone so I can concentrate on my technique and it seems I've been concentrating too much... I think I'll try the more relaxed mindset the next time I hit the range. Although I'm not sure I want to shoot indoors anymore. Watching the clay pigeons explode instead of looking for little holes in paper is addicting!

John.  Just continue to have fun shooting, as you've done in the last outing, and you will continue to do good.    :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:01:45 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln