Author Topic: Chrome Silicon Spring update kit  (Read 10771 times)

Offline marvin

Chrome Silicon Spring update kit
« on: June 16, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
Hello all
S_f phantom has been working on getting a manufacturer to produce an upgrade spring kit for our pups.I think that this topic  needs its own thread rather then where it started.
I've sent Marc an email expressing my interest and I want to express my thanks to S_F for his work on getting us an upgrade that could save our lives.
Below is a copy of his posting.

jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well guys, I have been doing some research on our spring issue and Marc at ISMI is willing to put a spring package together and use Chrome Silicon steel.  In the past, I have used this material if different weapons with great sucess.  I spoke to him again this morning and he would like to hear from other Pup owners as to their interest in a spring kit update.  He believes that we would be able get 5-10 thousand rounds out of his springs using Chrome Silicon. Let's see, replacing our spring every 100 rounds vs 5,000 rounds....hmm.  Need I say more?  

For additioinal info e-mail ISMI at: sale@ismi-gunsprings.com

Our Pups have been compared to thorougbred race horses.  I'm not going to feed my horse rice, I going to put Chrome Silicon oats in his belly instead...

Hope this helps.

Offline marvin

Re: Chrome Silicon Spring update kit
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 06:42:44 PM »
S.F. also posted the message below.

jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For additional info on material issues, this is a must read.

http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/speedlock/cs_springs.pdf

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:52:20 PM »
Hey guys, just checking in to see how many has expressed an interest in the upgraded spring kit.  If we can't let everyone that we know that owns a pup to contact Marc, it probably won't happen.  It won't be cost effective for him to set up his tooling.

Pass the word to call him, e-mail him or hell, do both.  I wish us all luck as we need it...
We Are The Pilgrims, Master;We Shall Go Always A Little Further

One45

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 05:00:29 PM »
Sending e-mail today and thanks for the heads-up.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:40:19 AM »
Marvin:

Thanks for posting the link to David Tubb's article.  I have printed a copy for my reference files and sent my own e-mail message to Marc at ISMI.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 06:40:31 PM »
Well guys, I just spoke with Marc again and he ask me to call him back at the end of this month or the beginning of August and he should be able to give us an update.  He's been doing a lot of work for our Spec Ops Units and he is putting them at the top of the list as I am sure you would agree with.  I think this wait is more than worth it and lets face it, our hero's over in the sand box need all the help they can get.  
So, lets all of us have some good thoughts for them and let them decide when they believe their job is done.  
I may be getting soft in my old age, but I still believe that we need to support our troops, their families and the Companies that make equipment that make our troops a little safer.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 02:38:26 AM »
I'm willing to wait and I'll want one set for each of my two R9s, as long as they are the extra power springs like the new ones Rohrbaugh is shipping.

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 11:16:49 AM »
jarcher,

Sorry, but I'm not sure what extra power springs are however I can say that Marc's springs have always worked well in my weapons.  

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 02:22:11 PM »
jarcher,

Sorry, but I'm not sure what extra power springs are however I can say that Marc's springs have always worked well in my weapons.  

What I meant was that the springs be equilivent in force to the new mag springs Rohrbaugh recently released.

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 07:02:09 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has had any of the new mag springs under a compressed/loaded mag for any period of time?  

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 12:36:59 AM »
WS6,
Have you pulled the new/compressed spring and compared the length with a new spring that has not been compressed yet?  

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »
Thats good news, if it stays that way all we have to worry about is the recoil springs.  Please keep me updated as to any change in the length.  

Thanks

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 10:42:56 PM »
Will do! I am sure you will do the same. I was thinking today everytime I have shot mine since May. I have had FTE every outing with it. It seems as the recoil spring gets some wear on it, I have less FTE problems. Worst 5 out of 72rds. I don't think I have made 50 yet with no jams. Going to experiment with springs.

I have also noticed that older springs seem to perform better, although I have not done any testing.  That's why I hate to change my recoil spring.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 03:15:12 PM »
Jarcher, I wish you would do some testing. It would make my life a whole lot easier. LOL. I am so close to getting my gun to give me at least 50rds. straight with no FTE. This seems to be a problem with many owners FTE more now than FTF. Even if you use your gun for self defense, you'll never shoot 50++ rds. unless you just want to shoot everything that moves. I would just feel more comfortable knowing I am getting at least 50 with no failures at all.

What?  You can't get 50 consecutive rounds without any failures?  How old is it, which springs are you using and how many rounds have you put through it altogether?  

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 03:49:20 PM »
It was produced in April 2007. All the latest updates came with it. Springs! I have put about 200rds thru it in 4 shooting sessions. If it doesn't clear up, I will call Rohrbaugh. I just ordered a Stealth too!

Send it back.  200 rounds is plenty enough time for it to settle down and behave.  Don't let anyone tell you its the ammo or its you.  A quality gun should be able to eat any ammo that is in spec and should not be sensitive to "limp wristing."  You hinted that you are having problems with ejection.  Well, that could be a small defect in the extractor or ejector, an ejector spring issue or any of many other things.

You paid good money for the pistol and you probably plan to bet your life on it.  Rohrbaugh has good service.  They will welcome an opportunity to fix this for you.