Author Topic: Rohrbaugh 380 versus Seecamp 380  (Read 52100 times)

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
Re: Rohrbaugh 380 versus Seecamp 380
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
OK, I'm gonna jump this thread back to its title: LWS380 v. Rohrbaugh 380.

I acquired a Seecamp 380 when it was a new item.  After shooting it, I sold it because of the painful recoil.  I immediately got seller's remorse and ordered another one.  After a year, it came in and I took it to the range.  The recoil was still hot, but manageable.  My point?  I was not mentally prepared for the LWS380's recoil the first time around.  But then my brain had a year to percolate on the subject (in the background), and when I took my second one to the range, I found the recoil to be manageable.  My first experience shooting my R9s was similar.  I didn't shoot it again for several months, and the second time around, the recoil was manageable.  So, perhaps the best thing to do, if you are lucky enough to have an LWS380, is to keep it for several months after your first range session, then try it again and re-evaluate the recoil intensity.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2010, 08:51:27 PM »
musician.  You make a good point.  I haven't shot the Rohrbaugh .380 as of yet, however, the Seecamp .380 is one cool little dude.  Due to the fact that I shoot large calibers often, the recoil of the .380 seems minimal.

Someone not used to recoil, a different story.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2010, 11:53:18 AM »
My friend and I took my LWS 380 and R-Nine for a walk through the range some time back. We shot the LWS 380 for quite a few rounds. Then I pulled out the R9 and we didn't even notice any recoil on that R9. We both commented on the snappy recoil of the LWS, but knew what a great little package it is. He never bought either, and opted for a KelTec nine.
Reciol was not any reason why he chose what he did, and I know he has the financial means to buy both the R9 and the LWS 380, it is just what he wanted.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2010, 12:16:05 PM »

Did he buy a Kel-Tec P11 or a PF-9?

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »
Did he buy a Kel-Tec P11 or a PF-9?

If I could have remembered, I would have written the model number, and I was right there next to him when he bought it.
I am sorry I do not know.
I am thinking it was the higher capacity model though.
He bought it for less then three hundred dollars.
I will e-mail him now, he lives less then a half a mile from me, if I have to, I'll see him in person, that is if he's not off on a tour somewhere. He likes going to Canada snowmobiling.
A link to his Book.
http://www.amazon.com/Survive-Fight-Life-High-Sierras/dp/0743270061#reader_0743270061

Here he is after shooting the R-Nine

Here is his Snowmobile

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:31:22 PM by chameleon »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2010, 12:47:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing that amazing story about Peter. I flew out of NAS Lemoore and we had many flights over the High Sierras in the same area of his incredible survival experience. One of our pilots was the only one who wore a winter survival flight suit. He had previously bailed out over the Sierras in mid winter in a summer flight suit and crawled a few hundred yards through the deep snow to the only road within 50 miles and hitched a ride home.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:00:28 PM by tracker »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2010, 01:05:32 PM »
If any one could have survived it is Peter.
Your pilot did learn a valuable lesson, as Peter did.He'll always have a few extras with him while flying from now on, and I think a pistol may be on his list.
He told me that the rescue planes were so close to him three different times he could look into the cockpit and see the pilot's face and headphones.
Peter is an adventurous person and needs that thrill almost daily. He took that motorcycle trip and I am waiting for that book to come out.

Thanks for checking the story about Peter out.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »
He is one of the rare exceptions to the law of old pilots and bold pilots but no old, bold pilots; better to leave the bold part on the ground.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:00:44 PM by tracker »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2010, 04:40:57 PM »
Yeah, it is the P-11, he reminded me that it will hold twelve rounds in total. He now has a pocket holster for it. I asked if MECO made one for it, and he didn't.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2010, 06:09:18 PM »

It is probably heresy to say this here but that is a lot of value in a gun.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »
It is probably heresy to say this here but that is a lot of value in a gun.

Peter looked at all the options, as he would and he studied every aspect of each pistol he had on his list. He didn't shoot from the hip as he knew all about the P-11 when we went to the dealer.Ironically the dealer had a slightly used R-9 in stock for a reasonable price of $850. I remember that price because I worked on getting a buyer for it, however that particular deal fell through, it did sell shortly after.
So did you commit and act of blasphemy? I say you did not, to people like us we look toward the quality of devices we choose to purchase, and pistols like the Rohrbaugh and Seecamp have such great qualities. I could not convince Peter to spend that amount of money on a pistol of the same caliber to do the same job as his P-11.He got a 9mm pistol that as he says, holds 12 rounds.
Peter has a very small frame, looks like he wears clothes sized for middle school students, and the pockets in his pants can not fit my LWS 380 in a pocket holster.He can fit the P-11 in a jacket pocket, and that is where he totes it.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »

I notice he has his snowmobile saddle bags packed, just in case of engine failure, I presume. Your description of him explains a lot.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »
His exploits are really writable and should be published. I am hoping he writes another book on his almost two year motorcycle trip to South America.

The saddle bags on a racing type snowmobile is typical for him, he wants to go as fast as he can as long as he can, he is a full throttle guy all the time.

He has left here at 11pm, after his wife falls asleep( she does know he is leaving) and then he gets in his truck, no particular plans in some cases, and heads to Canada. He'll get there, sleep in his truck, then get up, find a couple few guys interested in taking a week long trip through the trails. That is the saddle bags purpose in life.He also has an attachable bladder for extra fuel.Then he goes for it, living life at full throttle, those of us that know him, know he'll survive any encounters.He has his misfortunes, like the guys he has traveled with had their engines blow up on the trail, and last year, his motor blew.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »

Amazing; what is that unit between his snowmobile and motorcycle in his garage? Sorry for the severe thread drift here but this is quite interesting, at least to me.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2010, 10:21:23 PM »
I don't think it is anything, you may be looking at the top of the snowmobile.
He has a racing street bike, and two different dirt bikes. He competes in the older classes now.

Neither dirt bike is in the picture, that street bike has been replaced with a new one.