Author Topic: New Remington R-51 in 9mm  (Read 6261 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
New Remington R-51 in 9mm
« on: January 02, 2014, 02:39:31 PM »
Pretty amazing that it is based on the 1917 Pederson design.  I think it looks really neat.  It's the size of the Ruger LCP and I already have an HK P7M8 and a Rohrbaugh R9, but this gun sure does look neato (IMO):

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/

http://www.gunblast.com/Remington-R51.htm

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: New Remington R-51 in 9mm
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:33:44 PM »
Very nice at first glance; the one being shown at Gunsite appears to have a Galloway trigger compared to the stock trigger on the first clip.

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »
At quick glance for me it almost looked like my old Walther PPK

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »
I'm not a fan of the grip safety.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »
Nice looking pistol!  Still, it's all about how if shoots, how it fits your hand and your eye.
I would like to see one up closer...I do like the design although I don't foresee it replacing my R9 ever.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »

As the Brits say, it's like chalk and cheese.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »
I don't know how Remington failed to get the R-51 to Media Range Day at SHOT Show... but the gun isn't there.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/robert-farago/remington-r51-not-shown-missing-in-action/

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »
Arne Boberg attended the Bill Hicks (a large Minnesota firearms distributor ) open house and got to see and hold the Remington 51.  He said it looked good and felt good in your hand. The single action trigger pull was very light as he expected  The distributor told him that that they had a firing demonstration the weekend before and a lot of shooters had trouble with the gun not firing because they did not get the grip safety depressed far enough.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:32:34 AM by MRC »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
I would predict that the first aftermarket accessory developed for that Remington R-51 will be a good beaver-tail grip safety.  To say that the current grip safety as pictured appears to represent a "minimalist" design would be an understatement.  If an owner were under attack, rolling around the ground, and trying to employ the pistol with an awkward grip . . . well . . . "Rotsa ruck, GI."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 04:43:38 PM »

I just saw an R-51 in my lgs and asked to see it. The young clerk was chuckling as he reached on the shelf to pull it out. He activated the grip safety, smiled again, and racked the slide. The grip safety makes quite an audible clatter and the slide action is quite rough and uneven as it travels backwards to the locked position. He then said that Remington should have never let this horse out of the barn. I gave it back to him and agreed with his statement. Visually, it is a very attractive design but appears to be a disaster in the making, even at $399. "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten." Bottom line is don't waste your time or money.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »
I am wondering if this is a poor implementation of a basically good design.

I think the shine is off the apple for the R51.  In the information age it happens rather quickly.  A few YouTube videos demonstrating how rough the slide cycles along with examples of it malfunctioning gets the word out quickly.

If it is a good design hampered by poor QC, I think Remington has to re-think how they're manufacturing the gun. 

The HK P7 was a very complex design but because it was manufactured to very exacting levels of precision and quality, the gun worked.

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 07:56:49 PM »
Tracker, I had the opportunity to hold a R-51 with the standard grips last week and my experience was the same as you.  The back strap safety made a really loud clicking noise but also it was less than smooth.  I had consider one but after hold one in my hand it made me question how well it would work for me.  I'm sure there are people who would love it.... just not for me.
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 08:11:38 PM »

IMO , it should be recalled. I was so shocked that I think, but don't quite recall accurately, that the slide would stop in an an intermediate position going back. These things were non-starters for me and I wouldn't take it for free.