Author Topic: Any reviews on the sig 224?  (Read 9962 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Any reviews on the sig 224?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:45 PM »
Ever get a chance to fire that 224 Duane?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »

i am going to the range this weekend, but may or may not get to it.  I am working on a review of the Glock 42 and the Ruger Alaskan...   That is a lot for one range trip already.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »
Sure. Ok, well I look forward to seeing your thoughts Duane. Happy shooting. Perhaps you can post your thoughts on that G42 as well 😬
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 06:13:47 PM »
YES I have been considering a 42 as well. Would like to know your range experience.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 09:59:09 PM »

I can definitely give you some feedback on the 42 after this weekend.  I am writing a cover story on the 42 for Shooting Illustrated.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 10:15:44 PM »

I didn't have much extra time at the range today, but I brought the P224.  I put two magazines (20 rounds) throughout it with no issues.  In fact, I was shooting a plate rack at about 7 yards and it was tough to miss.

Typical Sig.  Boring to a fault.   ;)   This will be a great gun.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »
Well I fed the sig extreme 224 da/sa another 200 rounds today and have pretty much decided that it is not the every day cc weapon of choice FOR ME.

I want to Like this gun enough to carry it cc because of the following

1) similar design of my current favorite cc gun the G27
2) but the improved high quality of the sig design
3) the potentially safer DA/SA
4) the gun is absolutely gorgeous IMO

BUT

1) it's too heavy
2) the DA/SA is a real training issue FOR ME. I thought I made some real headway with it a couple of weeks ago when I had it out, but I couldn't hit a plate at 7 yards unles I was basically doing target practice. No ability to quick pull and site and hit my mark. I know Hickock 45 (for you guys that enjoy you tube) really can't get used to the da/SA and he's pretty good with a pistol.
3) that's it. It's just hard to compare with a Glock when it comes to weight, firepower, reliability balance IMO

So to the safe it goes and I can't imagine a good reason to pull it out again. Rats. Too bad. Such a nice handgun.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:14:12 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 09:21:45 PM »

Another one bites the dust.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 09:34:15 PM »
So it is true.

It's hard to displace the venerable Glock bro, but I'm having fun trying : )

I should have seen it coming to be honest with you. It's just so heavy for a IWB holster which is what I run if not in the front pocket. I got the fever and I burned myself.

Wanna buy a real nice 224 Tracker?

It really is a fine piece all joking aside.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:11:58 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »
No thanks, Josh; I only own German made Sigs and am staying away from the recent models. One day I was in Academy and started a conversation with a Houston Police arms instructor and asked him about his carry weapon. He invited me to the parking lot and showed me his grip reduced Glock 27 in his IWB holster.
It was very impressive and there was no doubt that it was a very formidable carry weapon. He used gripreductions.com but I cannot recommend them because I have no first hand experience. I think that he also had a NY 7 1/2# trigger on it. If you could make it work for you I think that you already own one of the best carry guns.   

Robar seems to have a good following on Glock work:

http://robarguns.com/custom-weapons/handguns/custom-glocks/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:17:07 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:38 PM »
I went to grip reductions.com. Do they make the grip thinner or just shape it for the individual shooter's hand Tracker?looks pretty cool.

I really do like the G27 for IWB. It's awesome. You are probably correct. I keep trying to best it, but for MY likes/dislikes I can't seem to dethrone it. It's not for lack of trying.

I need a good option for pocket carry, but I feel like I have that with the CW 380 (so it won't lock back, I'll address that when I get the R9 working)

Why the heavier trigger on the other guys G27 Tracker?

I know you are right. I just need to stop buying all this cool new stuff and just be content with what I've got. I've got plenty of firepower in two-3 guns to probably handle all of my handgun needs.

Thanks Tracker.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 11:19:23 PM »

They can make it thinner or shape it to your hands/grip. I am not an authority on this subject because I haven't done it to one of mine yet. The reason for the NY trigger is to make for a smooth but heavier pull for safety concerns. Several police departments have had accidental discharges and have opted for a heavier trigger pull. The alleged wisdom of a heavier trigger pull is that you wouldn't even feel it if you needed it in self defense.