Author Topic: [Really LONG] First Range Report  (Read 11554 times)

Offline SandMan

[Really LONG] First Range Report
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:09:26 PM »
Bottom Line:  This is an awesome little machine! – By my definition, it is very accurate and so far has been very reliable.  I am looking forward to many happy years to come!! ;D

Background:  I bought the R9S from ‘wired’ on the Forum who reported putting 250 rounds through it.  It is new production with April 2010 date on the original paperwork.  ‘Wired’ had changed the spring [and cleaned it] before sending to me, but otherwise the gun is stock; I touched-up the lube a little – personal preference, but I like Miltec grease on a gun going to the range in the summer in Florida.  I also put some sight paint on the front blade.  

I was able to get my hands on four types of ammo from local sources; they were the typical 115gr WWB; 115gr Gold Dots; 135gr HydraShok and 124gr Golden Sabers – no Silvertips around.  

All shots were fired as aimed slow-fire [very deliberate trigger pull and sight picture] from a two-hand, unsupported grip, standing, at 10 yards, onto bulls-eye target w/2-inch center bull.  For comparison, I have shot literally 10s of thousands of rounds through 1911s, thousands thru a 92-style Beretta and several hundred thru my K-T P-32, but I have never fired a ‘pup’ before.  I fully understand the role of this gun and will likely never print a bulls-eye target again – BUT, it is always nice to know for the future what the gun is capable of and what is the shooter’s contribution to the final result – plus to rephrase the old saying “…accurate guns are more interesting!”

I initially shot two magazines of WWB for familiarization.  No issues, except to note that those first 2-3 unknown shots WILL get your attention! – by the second mag I felt settled and although recoil was indeed stout, I never felt the gun was out of control nor did it surprise me again.  I then shot one magazine of each of the HPs for ‘record’ in the order shown - GD, GS, HS.  In each case I did the old trick of intentionally throwing the first round off the target so that the next 5 on the target were all the result of the same mechanical lock-up.  

Accuracy Results:   The target is shown.  

I would say that the Gold Dots were the most successful overall, both in shooting closer to POA and with very good grouping.  However, the Hydra-Shoks were pretty close – a little lower on POA, but you can see darn near a three shot cloverleaf! – The Sabers were less successful in both POA and grouping, but hardly “bad” as far as results.  The two flyers out to lower right were both the last shots in the last two strings – I was clearly getting hand-weary and in fact I actually backed off trigger pulls a few times at that point because the sight picture was deteriorating.  [You will just have to take my word for this – the one shot way outside the ring with the “x” thru it is not a flyer – it is actually one of the lock-up shots I had intended to throw away – “tried to miss the paper, but the pup wouldn’t let me!!”] ;D

Following this target, I reloaded three mags worth of all 4 types of ammo in random, mixed order and shot a fresh target – a less deliberate sight picture, but still not just ‘instinctive pointing.’   I easily held all nineteen rounds within the 7-ring with nine within the 9-ring.  There were no FTF or FTE even with the mixed types/brands.  On two occasions, both with the Golden Sabers, the slide ‘dragged’ closed as it went into battery – it did close, but slowly.  I looked more carefully at these rounds and noticed that where the pre-cuts/splits in the bullet noses end, the resulting surface is rough – certainly more so than the other brands.  I did not experience any slide bite or other ‘bleeding wounds,’ but by the end I had worn a hole into the inside of the third finger on my strong hand where the protruding edge of the magazine hit me – I’ll put a wrap of tape there ‘next time.’  

Final Thoughts:  This gun was pretty well broken-in when I got it, but in ~50 more rounds I had no failures or any other mechanical problems.  The trigger is long and by no means light, but it IS very smooth, consistent and has that solid/machine-feel to it --  it is clearly a completely different animal than my K-T, which a friend once described as “horsing back on a green twig!”  I was very impressed by the overall accuracy and consistency.  Next trip will be for some doubles & triples on silhouettes – I already got the Extreme grips to switch out.  After another session, or maybe two, I’ll be ready to carry it - I have carried the P-32 in my pocket w/o a holster for almost 10 years – personal preference… but I’m probably going to at least try a holster for the pup.  I’m very pleased with my purchase and appreciate all the information and encouragement from folks here on the Forum.  

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
Re: [Really LONG] First Range Report
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
    SandMan, Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore has 115gr Silvertips at $29.99 per 50 rd box.     Gene
birdman

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »
SandMan, yes it's very long, but also very good.  Hope all you outings are as good.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »
Sandman, sounds like you're off to a good start.

Definitely get a holster for the pup, regardless of your dress.

There are just too many cases out there of holes blown in pockets, legs, and even MR Weasel! :o
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »
Sandman, Good detailed range report. It seems you have everything in hand.  ;D Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline SandMan

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 02:19:38 PM »
 ;D  "Watch out what you ask for....!!" ;D
LOL!!!  

[BTW I see I marked the target as 115gr Sabers; they are in fact 124gr]

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 04:22:14 PM »
That is an excellent report, SandMan. Thank you. (And by the way, am I correct that the shot closest to "dead center" was one of the 124-grain Golden Sabers? In the interest of full disclosure, I ask the question since that is the load I'm currently carrying in my R9 and my P7.  8) )
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:22:40 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
Sandman.  As I mentioned in the other thread; one excellent report.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 08:02:42 PM »
Sandman, sounds like you're off to a good start.

Definitely get a holster for the pup, regardless of your dress.

There are just too many cases out there of holes blown in pockets, legs, and even MR Weasel! :o

OH - NOOO !! NOT MR WEASEL !!

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SandMan

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
That is an excellent report, SandMan. Thank you. (And by the way, am I correct that the shot closest to "dead center" was one of the 124-grain Golden Sabers? In the interest of full disclosure, I ask the question since that is the load I'm currently carrying in my R9 and my P7.  8) )

You are correct - the "10x" shot is a Saber.  I found nothing really wrong with them, certainly as far as accuracy

These are all small variations at 10 yds - different day; different style of shooting the strings; different individual gun, springs, etc. - all could produce different relative results.  My point in the exercise was to see the capability of the gun and 13/15 shots into 4 inches at 10 yds is a PLENTY capable little machine in MHO! :D  

I did have the dragging on the feedramp couple times as reported, but my limited experience is hardly conclusive.

[... and I DO appreciate eveyone's concern about MR. Weasel!! "We" are fine!  ;D ;D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »
Thank's for the verification on the Remington Golden Sabers, SandMan. And let me also state that I also value Winchester Silver Tips and Speer Gold Dots for my R9 and my P7, purchasing any of the three whenever I can find them in 115/124-grain standard-pressure loads.

I don't reload ammunition, due to an agreement with my little wife ("Buy any gun you want whenever you want it but please don't get into reloading!" -- "Deal!"), but I pay a lot of attention to the ammunition in my carry pieces. I ritually and routinely inspect the rounds, even polishing them with a brass polishing cloth, taking care (of course) not to contaminate the primers. Sometimes Joyce will kid me -- "Polishing your bullets again?" -- to which I usually reply something along the lines of, "Honey, I saw a great looking Dillon press advertised recently."   ;)  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:30:15 PM »
Richard.  Amazing.  I do the same thing.  I polish the Silvertips, brass and all, everytime I get a box or boxes.  Really,  all the other ammo as well.  Have been doing that from way back when.  I like it to shine.    :)  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »

Do you seal your primers?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »
tracker.  No can't say that I do.  I just use the polishing cloth and for these many years everything has fired.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:11:34 PM by kjtrains »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 09:56:57 PM »
Perhaps I should explain that the routine inspection and polishing of the carry ammunition is not to aesthetic reasons but to make certain that there are no defornations, burrs, irregularities, or corrosion on any of the rounds. If such are found, the round in question goes into a box set aside for range practice.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"