Author Topic: [Really LONG] First Range Report  (Read 11551 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: [Really LONG] First Range Report
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »
I run all mine through the tumbler for 6hrs every other week.

John ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 10:21:57 PM »
 ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 07:59:28 AM »
Tumbler. Now there's an idea -- "Honey, I already have a tumbler, I might as well get a press."  ;)

Back to the subject of inspecting carry ammunition, it may be my imagination or I may just be paying more attention to such matters in my so-called "golden years," but I seem to find more questionable rounds per box of new ammunition (even premium brands) than I used to do. Quality control just doesn't seem to be what it once was in modern-day ammo manufacturing. Also, when a round is carried for a prolonged period of time in humid conditions (here read "pocket") or cycled through a weapon more than once (such as when a carry piece is cleaned between firings to eliminate pocket dreck, etc.), some bullets and casings can become visibly corroded or scored. Silver Tips, which are quite soft, can  become noticeably deformed from repeated recycling.  

I got into that habit I described of giving regular and detailed attention to each round of carry ammunition back in the 80's when an old LEO I knew described for me the horror story of a fellow officer who had experienced a misfire in a backup revolver at exactly the wrong time. The after-action (and post-mortem) report pointed to a round which had become degraded from apparently being carried over a prolonged time in the cylinder.  

Thus endeth the obsessive-compulsive recitation for the day.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 08:33:26 AM »
I must say, Richard, that was a good recitation.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline SandMan

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
I run all mine through the tumbler for 6hrs every other week.

John ;D

As the saying goes, funny, BUT.... -- there was a discussion on Beretta Forum some time ago about people who did indeed tumble their just-loaded rounds to remove excess case lube, minor burrs, etc.  IIRC, 6 hours was a good bit longer than typical  ;D.  - more like 10-15 min.  Nobody [left alive] reported blowing themselves up... I could never bring myself to try it, but your mileage may vary...  ;)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »

As the saying goes, funny, BUT.... -- there was a discussion on Beretta Forum some time ago about people who did indeed tumble their just-loaded rounds to remove excess case lube, minor burrs, etc.  IIRC, 6 hours was a good bit longer than typical  ;D.  - more like 10-15 min.  Nobody [left alive] reported blowing themselves up... I could never bring myself to try it, but your mileage may vary...  ;)

As Larry the Cable Guy would say, "I don't care who you are -- that's funny!"  

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D[size=10] (This is only the second time I've awarded four.)[/size]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:30:47 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 12:06:46 PM »
That sounds like a good syllabus candidate for Army OCS. In the Navy OCS we practiced polishing large shell casings but it was with Brasso.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:20:54 PM by tracker »

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »
   I polish my ammo so much that my 9mm ammo is now .32 acp.         Gene ;) :D
birdman

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 06:31:18 AM »

Gene:

Fire that batch and start again.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »

With the .32's being so scarce........ ;D

Offline SandMan

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 02:31:42 PM »
WOW - can't beleive the date & how long it took me to get back to the range! - I must be doing something wrong! ::)

Anyway - another ~50 rounds - used primarily WWB, but randomly loaded in some Gold Dots, Golden Saber & the HyraShoks.

As discussed in original, this effort was not for 'aimed slow fire,' but more typical shooting scenario - target was standard USPSA silhouette.  I shot pairs to center of mass and three rounds - two center and one to upper; all at ~8+ to 9 yds (just short of the 10 yd line, but that is right where the lights are better!!!  ;D ;D ;) )  I was still pretty deliberate in the shots - definitely 'pairs' and NOT 'double taps!'  About half were from low-ready and half from front pocket slow draw.

I had no problem at all keeping all the rounds in the standard lower A-zone - as others have reported - it does point very well.  I will say, however, that consistently all my shots were 6-8 inches low - on target & grouped - but low.  

I had ONE FTF in 50 rounds - again with a Golden Saber - otherwise flawless with other types/brands, even mixed.  When it locked-up with the Golden Saber nosed into the feed ramp, man did it ever lock-up!! The little bugger is so tightly sprung and hard to grab I had a heck of a time clearing it - holding slide back, holding mag release & trying to pull mag all at once - a third hand would have been most helpful! ::)  Eventually I had to wedge a leatherman tool in it  :o  Cussing helped too!! :P

I'm still very pleased with it overall and will try 2 or 3 more 50 round outings before I switch out my Kel-Tec for carry.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:07:21 PM by SandMan »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
Sandman.  Thanks for the 50 rd range report.  Since the R9 is a defense weapon, try shooting it less in a range session as the tolerances are very low in the Rohrbaugh; don't know which rd was the FTF, but just a thought.  

Glad you are pleased overall!    :)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
  Sounds like a good range report overall. If I had 1 FTF with a Golden Saber on this trip and a feed issue on the last trip they would be on my practice ammo list untill I used them up.  
Are you saying you randomly load the Gold Dots, Golden Saber & the HydraShocks mixed in the mag with the WWBs ?  I ask only because I wonder what your thinking is behind that method, if that's what you are doing.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SandMan

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 08:20:15 PM »
 Since the R9 is a defense weapon, try shooting it less in a range session....snip
So, what are you saying? - you don't think I'll run into 50 zombies all at the same time!? ???  ;D  ;D
Yeah, maybe I should cut back - but, aw maaan... 50 was already low - heck, I put another 200 thru my Beretta after those 50 - I LIKE to shoot!! :D  [The FTF was right around the middle of the session].

Are you saying you randomly load the Gold Dots, Golden Saber & the HydraShocks mixed in the mag with the WWBs ?  I ask only because I wonder what your thinking is behind that method, if that's what you are doing.
Yes - exactly.  I have always done that with carry and competition guns, any that must run flawlessly, under the belief that it is the most severe 'test' of feeding and will most likely flesh out a problem if there is one...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:23:39 PM by SandMan »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 09:09:13 PM »
Yep!  I like to shoot, too!    :D  The Rohrbaugh R9, though, is designed to carry a lot, shoot little.  I shoot more than I should also.    :)