Author Topic: Charter Bulldog anyone?  (Read 4173 times)

BobJ

Charter Bulldog anyone?
« on: October 27, 2004, 08:18:49 AM »
In the discussions about convenient and reliable carry guns, I haven't seen mention of the Charter.  I don't have one, but have thought about it.  Size is reasonable, .44 Spec is certainly adequate, and I think I have read that it is reliable.  Are there reasons to not consider it - - other than personal preference?  And, maybe esthetics - - it isn't a particularly good looking critter.        ???

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Charter Bulldog anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 10:49:11 AM »
Charter has been in and out of business at least twice.  I know that the original Charters had a pretty good reputation.  The second iteration of the company -- not so much.  I am not sure exactly what the take is on this third iteration -- Charter 2000 -- but I have heard some reasonably good things.

There is nothing wrong with a .44 Special snub nose for defense!  The Charter .44 is also reasonably light weight.  If you get one that works well for you, it should serve you well.  You should be at least a little suspicious of whether you will be able to get warranty work or repair work for the lifetime of the gun.

You can get a similar gun from Taurus or S&W as well.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 02:01:49 AM »
I know I'm draggin' a dead dog post here to the front but when I saw it was about one of my all time favorites I had to stir the pot a little  bit. I've been carryin my Charter Arms Bulldog Pistol for the past 15 years. It is accurate, 100% reliable, and has amazing ability as a roun. Sight target, raise gun, pll trigger  B-B-B--- ---OOOOOM!!! Bad guy down.
Sincerely, it is a great gun with that I've shot well over 1500 rounds of various configs and all reponded well. I carry with JHP's and haven't had any problems at all. Great, reliable, firearm, makes a fantastic pocket gun  in its own right in the right pair of pants, and they are serviceable. - I really like mine carried in either pocket ot ankle. Ankle holsters are a favorite b ecause they can be access while traveling in a car.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 02:14:43 AM by FireBreather01 »
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 01:43:42 PM »
I just saw a recent Charter example.   It was very functional, but the edges were noticeably sharp and all the details of the gun lacked the details of a nice finish.  It seems like the Kel-Tec of revolvers -- functionally sound, but somewhat unfinished and not much to look at.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 12:54:47 AM »
Can't disagree entirely with your observations - it sure isn't a Cadillac, more like an old reliable pick-up! Mine has been slightly de-horned, spurless hammer, rounded grip, etc and the finish has held up extraordinarily well considering all of my travels with it at the ready.
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 12:16:45 AM »
The older versions, like my mid-80's stainless Bulldog has a finer fit and finish than the Charco or Charter 2000 offerings.

I rarely carry it now, but will never part with it.  Definitely makes a good truck gun.

I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...