Author Topic: Someone stop me...  (Read 5758 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Someone stop me...
« on: January 24, 2005, 12:58:34 PM »
I seem to have an obssession with small, expensive, slightly quirky guns...

At the Gun Show this weekend I picked up a Kimber Ultra RCP (Refined Carry Pistol).  This is an Ultra-sized gun (officers grip with 3" barrel) with some "refinements" -- all black finish, abbreviated grip safety and hammer, low profile thumb safety, extra thin grips, completely dehorned, and a no-snag "trench" sight.  This was new in the box, but old stock as these were only made in 2003.

This is the only 1911 I would consider appropriate for pocket carry, and I have my pocket holster order in to Kevin already.

This should do me until the R-45...

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline rtw

• Expert
Re: Someone stop me...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 05:30:13 PM »
DDGator, I'll be interested in your review of the Kimber and the perspective it gives you about a "pocket" .45.

Can we see a comparison photo of it next to a R9?

Thanks.

Dick
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 05:31:10 PM by rWt »
Welcome home

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 06:00:47 PM »
I will let you know.  It will be a little bit before I have the holster in hand.  If there is such thing as a 1911 that is pocketable -- this is it.  

I have carried it around in a cobbled up pocket holster enough to know its possible in jeans -- but not in dress pants.

The more typical carry with be IWB, but I would still like a Pocket Holster just for kicks and the occasional trip to the store or whatever.

I will take a comparision photo later when I get a chance.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 06:02:01 PM »
Duane,

How do you plan to protect the safety from getting unintentionally wiped off while in your pocket?

Let us know how well the sight works.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 06:04:53 PM »
The thumb safety is pretty stiff.  Kevin is going to design the holster to come up high enough to protect the safety from inadvertant contact with the edges of the pocket.  Of course, there will be nothing else in the pocket...

Stuffing the gun into an improvised holster and wearing it around the house for a day (cocked and locked, but unloaded), even without any protection for the safety, I was able to do housework/yardwork and all kinds of movements without disengaging the safety.  I tend to think it won't be an issue, but I will test it thoroughly.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 10:43:25 PM »
Eagerly awaiting more feedback!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 06:47:55 PM »
Duane,
Ironically, until I got my R9S I considered the Ultra RCP II the ultimate carry gun and thought I'd never part with it.......................
Now months later, I haven't carried the RCP II and decided to get rid of it......dropped it off at FFL today to ship to its' new owner.  If I was a little more well off($$), I guess I'd have kept it (and every gun I've ever bought and sold ;D).  Seriously, I think it may well be the ultimate gun for IWB carry.
Now that I've taken to pocket carry I just don't feel the need to IWB carry as it is much more uncomfortable to me.  I wouldn't consider the RCP II a pocket gun except in the biggest of pockets and then I'd be a little scared to go cocked and locked!!  You're a braver soul than me!  Good luck with it.
Jeff

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 11:55:54 PM »
Thanks, Sharp.  The RCP will be mostly for IWB carry -- but I am toying with the idea of occasional pocket carry.  In fact, the gun is with Kevin at K&D right now for the holster work.

I don't see why pocket carry is any worse with a single action auto than IWB.  The safety and trigger are well protected -- its all a matter of proper handling.

I will post some reports when I get it back and can shoot it!

Duane (DDGator)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 11:19:36 AM »
With the right holster, I think Duane is right.  However, the number of holster makers who can offer such a holster is apparently small, and it is fortunate that one of them can make this holster.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 02:58:34 PM »
Duane, I've got a Colt Defender rigged the same way. It has an alloy frame blacked with polished slide,with night sights. The grips are black/grey carbon fiber. I carry it in a very small green fanny pouch. It looks to small to carry a pistol. It works for me. Look forward to your pocket holster report.  Tom         P.S. The R9S is the dress one!
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 09:18:19 AM »
Hey Gator, did you ever get to shoot that thing?  If you did, did you have any stovepipeing issues?  I have heard that those small Kimbers tend to jam up.  Anyone else that owns one have any problems like that?  We sell those at my part time job and have had to return several for that reason.  Just curious if it was a common problem or just a "bad batch".

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 09:41:33 AM »
I had one quick trip to the range and managed to shoot two mags only -- 14 rounds of Speer Gold Dot JHPs -- with no problems at all.  So far, so good!
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 02:18:22 PM »
Well, two mags with nary a hiccup sounds like a good start.