Author Topic: WSJ attacks "Tactical Knives"  (Read 2823 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
WSJ attacks "Tactical Knives"
« on: July 25, 2006, 06:34:27 PM »
I posted this today on combatcarry.com

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12305

I welcome your comments here or there.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: WSJ attacks "Tactical Knives"
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 07:24:35 PM »
This article is raising quite a stink in more than one forum.  Between the way the WSJ handled the Terri Schiavo reporting and this article, I no longer have any respect for them.  Anyway, I posted these comments in another forum and will re-post here.

My understanding was that "tactical" knives were originally developed for police and EMT use. If you have to cut a seat belt on a burning car or cut a kid's shoelace after it gets stuck in an escalator, you don't have much time.

Granted, a knife is your best weapon in many situations where a gun is inappropriate. However, given the increasing prevalence of legalized handgun carry, does the WSJ think that people are going to be inclined to bring a knife to a gunfight?

Would the WSJ be happier if the situation here was like it is in Canada, where folders that can be opened by inertia are illegal but fixed blades (other than push daggers), which can be even faster than the fastest folding knife, are perfectly legal?

I wonder why they find this to be an issue after these knives have been available for so long?
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 09:46:24 AM »
After they obtain passage of legislation requiring the registration of steak knives, I predict that the "sheeple" at the WSJ, NYT, WP, & NPR will soon awaken to the imminent danger posed by pebbles.  After all, look what David was able to do to Goliath.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »
After they obtain passage of legislation requiring the registration of steak knives, I predict that the "sheeple" at the WSJ, NYT, WP, & NPR will soon awaken to the imminent danger posed by pebbles.  After all, look what David was able to do to Goliath.

LOL!  I can hear it now.  Rocks are bad!  Pave the world!  Rock registration.  Geologists will be herded into holding camps for questioning.  And just where did you get this rock from?  Do you know how dangerous a piece of quartz can be?  Look out! He has a piece of obsidian!  AHHHHHHH!

Oh, sorry.  I got carried away.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 02:57:58 PM »
Roc:

Being a geologist, you'll be among the first on their list.  Don't worry, though.  I'll come down out of the mountains with my trusty slingshot and a pocket full of "pre-ban pebbles" to provide some cover for your escape.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 03:30:48 PM »
For Immediate Release
August 1, 2006
Gilbert, Arizona

Knife Owners Advocacy Group Formed

Knives are man's oldest tool. A diverse group of concerned knife and tool owners has formed the United States Knife & Tool Association (www.USKTA.org) to oppose efforts to restrict knife ownership and carry. Recent events have escalated concerns about efforts to implement irrational and needless restrictions on civilization's most fundamental tool.

The July 25, 2006, Wall Street Journal article titled, "How New, Deadly Pocketknives Became a $1 Billion Business," has served as a wake up call to knife and tool owners everywhere who see in this a desire by a vocal and well-financed minority to quite literally take away our knives. Portraying well-designed knives and tools that incorporate safety features such as locking blades, ergonomic and non-slip handles and one-hand opening as "deadly" is deliberately disingenuous.  

Regardless of the errors and obvious bias in this article, it appeared in one of the most respected and widely read newspapers in the nation. This venue lends it credibility that certainly will result in other media outlets copying the tone-implying the need for restrictions on ownership of pocket knives and related tools.

Virtually every threatened sport or product in this country has an advocacy group that represents the industry and also a separate and independent advocacy group that serves the end users. For firearms, the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) represents industry and the NRA represents individual gun owners. In general aviation, GAMA (General Aviation Manufacturers Association) represents the industry and AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) represents the owners and pilots. In recreational boating, NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association) represents the industry and BoatUS represents boat owners and operators.

Even though there is some overlap both in membership and financial support, these groups are complementary, not competitive. The two organizations work closely to be more successful than either alone could ever hope to be. The difference between an industry group and an end user group is a very critical distinction to politicians and bureaucrats. The end users more pointedly represent voters to elected officials who often respond only to whatever may aid them in the polls.

The knife industry has an organization that represents its interests, the American Knife and Tool Institute. Knife owners deserve an organization dedicated to serving them, to not only provide for advocacy against unreasonable restrictions on their enjoyment and use of knives, but which also can provide the services and advantages that other owner groups provide their members.

The United States Knife & Tool Association (USKTA) will serve knife and tool owners as their advocate against restrictions on knife and tool ownership and carry.

A web site has been established to solicit support for USKTA and where interested individuals can sign up to receive more information:  www.USKTA.org

The site includes additional information on USKTA and a link to the text of the WSJ article, as well as a Frequently Asked Questions page addressing the most common issues that have been raised.  www.USKTA.org/faq.htm

For additional information or for an interview contact:

Doug Ritter
dritter@USKTA.org
480-219-7271
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 07:30:50 PM »
Duane:

Thanks for posting that press release.  Even though I am of the school which holds that a hand-held rock was probably "man's first tool," I think I shall have to join USKTA.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 06:10:01 PM »
From what I hear cars have been used as weapons so if you see a car full of rocks you better start shooting or start running. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER