Author Topic: trigger sNew Range Report with AP&W Modified R  (Read 4942 times)

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
trigger sNew Range Report with AP&W Modified R
« on: May 09, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »
"went to the Range today, Oh, Boy..."
And, went with usual suspects -- my sister and brother-in law, to fire three pistols: My AP&W modified R9s, my brother-in-laws stock SIGP250 compact in 9mm ( only a Houge slip-on grip added), and my modified SIG P226, hard-chromed, matte finish, sighting and trigger work done by Bob Cogan at AP&W. Bob and crew also hard chrome-plated the R9S, milled the front and rear si.ghts and made them more colorful, and ported the gun.
The R9s:
[imghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LCe3yw4OdMw/S9c55vBpKEI/AAAAAAAAAfk/8Cz-sVBPP2Y/s1600/R9s_4_sm.jpg[/img]

24 rounds between 3 people, of 115 Gr. Speer Gold Dots.
Not one misfunction/misfeed.
Porting seems to make the gun aboiut 15-20% louder (I find this cool) and reduce recoil and musslze flip by an amount I cound only guess at: may 10-15 % -- it's pretty subjective.
One thing I see to see because of the 'robust' or 'snappy' recoil of this light, full-power 9mm weapon is that to me  it handles and shoots much better one-handed (a more lilely defense scenario anyway) than attempting to come up with a good two handred grip on such a small pistol. In addition, with the one-handed grip, the dominant-eye to hand coordination seems to be faster; in addition the preceived recoil semed to me be better handled one-handed, since a strong firing line/angle can easily be establshed from the (very firm) shooter's grip, and back in a straight line through the straight arm and into the shoulder. This spreads the recoil energy through the largest body mass; the two handed grip no matter how I work it seems a compromise with no great benefits. WIth the arms straightened out ahead of you, the direct-line force of the recoil is directed through two hands and arms -- both at a slight 'V' angle to the vector force of the recoil. This would undoubtedly result in greater impulse forces whose vectors would tend to place more stress on the thumbs, wrists, etc. area of the shooter: largely because they cannot maintain a straight and rigid line from the pistol's vectored recoil thorugh the bones and muscles of the single arm, coupled back to the body's center of mass.
Anyway, the little SOB shot terrifically -- for me, out of two magazines fired, would up with ALL shots in the black from 25 feet, and three downright, absolutely perfect, center bullseyes all though the same hole, shooting one handed, dominant hand and eye.
Damn, that was fun
Problems encountered: after one round chambered, no FFW or any other difficulties. Because off the needed stiff and strenghth of the slide pull, I found I had to chanber the first round for my sister to try they gun, as she simply did not have the arm/hand strength necessary to do this 'hard quick pull and snap process ' properly, all the time. So add another vote for always keeping a round in the chamber when carrying.

Also, shot a number of mags thru the P226, also custom-finished, trigger work done, and ported by Bob Cogan at AP&W.

What a sweet gun. The trigger pull is just perfect at about 3.5 pounds, the porting makes the gun a little louder, but singificantly decreses the muzzle flip and thus the time to get the front sight back onto target. Even the less-experienced shooters who tried this were quite suprised that their scores and patterns significantly improved. At 25 feet rapid-fire, all 16 rounds in the black with no flyers. D**n !

I love these guns, and I am truly greateful to Bob Cogan -- and Jason, his office manager -- for taking such could care of me and my property, and sometimes wasting an hour or so just chatting and arguing about arcane technical things...

Soon, I am going to buy an STI 1911 from him, and have a little work done on it....
And then life shall be complere.

So, if any of you guys are ever aroung Stillwater, MN (right on the border with that Cheesehead State) give me a call -- lunch and.or shooting: sounds OK to me :)
Bill Krog
6351 St.Croix Tr. N. #128
Oak Park Heights, MN 55082 (Stillwater)
651-342-0669

And if any of you just happened to have a white Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder Convertible, all the better :)
Of couse, best to get this out here before the ice comes in again...

ALL the best to all of you

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: trigger sNew Range Report with AP&W Modifi
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »
whkrog.  Excellent outing at the range.  Looks like the modifications on the R9 has paid dividends.  Again, an excellent day, and thanks for sharing the experience.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline spursguy10

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:41:44 PM »
"went to the Range today, Oh, Boy..."
And, went with usual suspects -- my sister and brother-in law, to fire three pistols: My AP&W modified R9s, my brother-in-laws stock SIGP250 compact in 9mm ( only a Houge slip-on grip added), and my modified SIG P226, hard-chromed, matte finish, sighting and trigger work done by Bob Cogan at AP&W. Bob and crew also hard chrome-plated the R9S, milled the front and rear si.ghts and made them more colorful, and ported the gun.
The R9s:
[imghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LCe3yw4OdMw/S9c55vBpKEI/AAAAAAAAAfk/8Cz-sVBPP2Y/s1600/R9s_4_sm.jpg[/img]

24 rounds between 3 people, of 115 Gr. Speer Gold Dots.
Not one misfunction/misfeed.
Porting seems to make the gun aboiut 15-20% louder (I find this cool) and reduce recoil and musslze flip by an amount I cound only guess at: may 10-15 % -- it's pretty subjective.
One thing I see to see because of the 'robust' or 'snappy' recoil of this light, full-power 9mm weapon is that to me  it handles and shoots much better one-handed (a more lilely defense scenario anyway) than attempting to come up with a good two handred grip on such a small pistol. In addition, with the one-handed grip, the dominant-eye to hand coordination seems to be faster; in addition the preceived recoil semed to me be better handled one-handed, since a strong firing line/angle can easily be establshed from the (very firm) shooter's grip, and back in a straight line through the straight arm and into the shoulder. This spreads the recoil energy through the largest body mass; the two handed grip no matter how I work it seems a compromise with no great benefits. WIth the arms straightened out ahead of you, the direct-line force of the recoil is directed through two hands and arms -- both at a slight 'V' angle to the vector force of the recoil. This would undoubtedly result in greater impulse forces whose vectors would tend to place more stress on the thumbs, wrists, etc. area of the shooter: largely because they cannot maintain a straight and rigid line from the pistol's vectored recoil thorugh the bones and muscles of the single arm, coupled back to the body's center of mass.
Anyway, the little SOB shot terrifically -- for me, out of two magazines fired, would up with ALL shots in the black from 25 feet, and three downright, absolutely perfect, center bullseyes all though the same hole, shooting one handed, dominant hand and eye.
Damn, that was fun
Problems encountered: after one round chambered, no FFW or any other difficulties. Because off the needed stiff and strenghth of the slide pull, I found I had to chanber the first round for my sister to try they gun, as she simply did not have the arm/hand strength necessary to do this 'hard quick pull and snap process ' properly, all the time. So add another vote for always keeping a round in the chamber when carrying.

Also, shot a number of mags thru the P226, also custom-finished, trigger work done, and ported by Bob Cogan at AP&W.

What a sweet gun. The trigger pull is just perfect at about 3.5 pounds, the porting makes the gun a little louder, but singificantly decreses the muzzle flip and thus the time to get the front sight back onto target. Even the less-experienced shooters who tried this were quite suprised that their scores and patterns significantly improved. At 25 feet rapid-fire, all 16 rounds in the black with no flyers. D**n !

I love these guns, and I am truly greateful to Bob Cogan -- and Jason, his office manager -- for taking such could care of me and my property, and sometimes wasting an hour or so just chatting and arguing about arcane technical things...

Soon, I am going to buy an STI 1911 from him, and have a little work done on it....
And then life shall be complere.

So, if any of you guys are ever aroung Stillwater, MN (right on the border with that Cheesehead State) give me a call -- lunch and.or shooting: sounds OK to me :)
Bill Krog
6351 St.Croix Tr. N. #128
Oak Park Heights, MN 55082 (Stillwater)
651-342-0669

And if any of you just happened to have a white Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder Convertible, all the better :)
Of couse, best to get this out here before the ice comes in again...

ALL the best to all of you

whkrog,

I love the work you have had done to the r9!! Its truly perfect! My question is how did you manage to get the trigger pull down to 3.5 lbs? I would love to have my trigger lowered! Please let me know!
Thanks!!
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
-Clint Eastwood

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:31 PM »
whkrog- thanks for the report, love to hear those successes!

That Coogan sounds like a master.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
Bill.  I like the sounds of the 3.5 lb trigger pull, for sure.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:20:08 PM »
Alas, the approx. 3.5 lb trigger pull referred to was for my SIG P226 which Bob also plated/ported/worked on for me.
The action for the R9s was disassembled, polished/deburred when needed (not needed, since they were basically perfect), lubricated and reassembled after the plating and porting process. I don't believe the trigger pull was affected for the R9s.
In any case, they're both a joy to shoot now -- even though they were great before.
PS: in another post I mention I've acquired an STI Trojan 5.0" barrel single-stack 1911 .45ACP which Bob has also worked on and plated for me. Terrific. No porting, since this one needs to remain 'in class' for USPSA/IDPa/IPSC ...

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:24:34 PM »
I understood the trigger pull reference.

Ah, the Trojan, a fine piece, as Brenden will atest.

Good luck with your competition.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:24:53 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 02:39:05 PM »
Bill.  Do let us know how that competition turns out.   :)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »
thanks for the good range report.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »
Last week, I shot a 'pretend' qualifying round (non-scored) in my class in IDPA. I am very proud to report that as a certified old fart, I did not:
1) get disqualified for any kind of range or safety-related stupidity
2) shoot anything other that what was intended (that includes not shooting myself, others, the ground, the sky, trees,  or indeed anything not downrange from the firing line or outside it's boundaries).  :)
And the STI worked perfectly, needless to say.
Basically, some of the best fun I've had in my life for a long time.
Well, not quite as much fun as when I was 12 years old and an uncle of of mine took me and my cousin out on one of the islands in the middle of the St. Croix River between MN and WI, and let us shoot at pint cans of marine gas with his WWII M1 Garand, loaded with tracer rounds. Now that was fun.