Author Topic: Can you answer this?  (Read 6348 times)

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Can you answer this?
« on: March 10, 2005, 11:08:04 PM »
Is it illegal to have a wallet holster where there is a hole cut out for the trigger so it can be drawn and shot while still in the holster? What is your opinion of the Ron Graham Scorpion wallet holster as a carry vehicle?
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Can you answer this?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 12:02:06 AM »
Its not illegal per se, but such a wallet holster -- that allows the gun to be fired from inside the holster -- is considered an "any other weapon" or AOW by the ATF.  You must register the AOW and pay certain fees, etc.  If you have one without going through those steps -- you are in some federal trouble.

I have never seen Ron's Scorpion holster in person, but I have seen the pics on his website.  It seems like a very slow way to carry a gun.  You have to remove the wallet from your pocet, unsnap, and then draw -- definitely a two handed manuever.  I am not sure I see the utility myself -- but there may be applications for it I guess.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 09:03:01 AM »
Thanks Duane, I am in Maryland where carrying a gun is viewed as a priveledge, only granted after a painstaking application process outlining good reason for carry ie: carry cash deposits, threats on your life, security job. So if my app. passess scrutiny I want to carry the R9S as descretly as possible so as not to inflame the rath of the gun scared massess. The RG Scorpion looked like a good total hide for the R9S although I agree with you on the slow draw aspect.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 09:13:54 AM »
Newt,

I understand -- but it may be a bit too concealed.  A "back pocket" type holster with an anti-print shield will be just as effective or concealment, so long as you don't have to take the rig out of your pocket.

RJ Hedley makes one, as does Kevin at K&D.  Kevin also makes one with a removable panel he calls a 2-in-1.  

Everyone's initial reaction is to hide the gun too much.  I have carried for years in a front pocket style holster with no anti-print shield -- and no one has every noticed it.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 09:22:28 AM »
Duane, I am looking hard at RJ's back pocket wallet holster as it looks like a much quicker draw option. Whats your slant on ankle carry and who makes the best R9 ankle holster in your opinion? Thanks Newt.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 10:38:36 AM »
I don't know much about ankle holsters because I don't have a lot of interest in them.  To be fair though, I have never tried it for any length of time.

I question whether its comfortable, although I suppose it would be with the right equipment and such.

My bigger problem is tactical.  First, ankle holsters are slow.  You don't need to be a quick draw to carry a gun, but the fact is that we carry defensive handguns to REACT to a situation that has alredy started, so there is some need to be able to act quickly.

Drawing from the ankle is also an awkward movement that requires going off balance to some degree or otherwise compromising your fighting platform -- again, by definition, after the fight has already started.  It would also be difficult to do in cramped quarters or bad footing.  Finally, access while running away from the threat is impossible.

Furthermore, there is no good way to draw discretely from an ankle holster or to get your hand on the grip in a firing position to be ready for a draw.  When you carry IWB, you still telegraph something when you reach back behind your jacket--but at least there is some deniability that you were going for a cell phone or something.  Pocket carry is great for this because you can have your hand on your gun in a firing grip ready to draw, yet look very casual and relaxed.

As you see -- I am not really a fan, especially for primary gun carry.

One advantage over pocket carry though is easier access to some degree while seated or in a car.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 10:40:01 AM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 12:55:59 PM »
In the car carry is tough  I carry mine wedged between the edge of the seat and the console when in or near a bad area.. A "traffic stop" may be uncomfotable if I couldn't get the weapon to a legal location..
RJ=

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 05:48:26 PM »
Newt, I agree with Duane on the holster with the hole for the trigger. As a former class 3 dealer for over 20 years, it is classified as,"any other weapon" and needs to be registered as such, fingers prints done, sign off by local law enforcement, pay a fee & etc.,and approved by the NFA Branch of ATF in DC. Its a lot of work to get a bad holster which gives you 1 shot. I also agree with Duane and RJ that the pocket holster is by far the best all around. In second place is the IWB or BWB style. The ankle holster is too slow and hard to get at, plus it makes you walk funny!!!!!    Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 08:53:39 PM »
Thanks all for the good advise, I ordered my backpocket holster today from RJ. Now if Md. will just approve my carry application, up to 90 days & still could be turned down, I will be set.

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 08:56:45 PM »
Newt,

How long is your carry license good for in Maryland, and is the renewal process just as painful (i.e. do you have to prove you still need it)?

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 10:17:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's anual and yes you have to have a good reason to have it, threats on your life proven by police reports, carry alot of cash, as in make cash deposits, which for this reason they can restrict carry to and from bank, security guard, private det.. We now have a Republican Gov. who promised to loosen things up a little but nothing has happend yet.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 12:37:19 PM »
And they think private business is a racket!!!!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 02:26:58 AM »
Car carry -- at least in TX -- which is VERY friendly to CHL guys, I just throw a ball cap to cover the butt of my gun sticking up between the seats in my truck
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 05:55:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's anual and yes you have to have a good reason to have it, threats on your life proven by police reports, carry alot of cash, as in make cash deposits, which for this reason they can restrict carry to and from bank, security guard, private det.. We now have a Republican Gov. who promised to loosen things up a little but nothing has happend yet.

Newt-Sorry..

When I first read this I thought you said anal.. :o
Then I realized which state you were in and I knew that it could easily have been that. ;) ;D

I wish you the best of luck!!
 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe