Author Topic: Milt Sparks PCH in elephant hide  (Read 10488 times)

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
Re: Milt Sparks PCH in elephant hide
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 03:36:25 AM »
And the nice thing about elephant for a pocket holster is that it has a roughish texture - making it want to stay home in your pocket while you smoothly draw and ... well you know...do what you have to do!!!
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 02:03:27 PM »
Both the elephant and shark are very tough leathers with great texture for a super look. I guess if you wear an elephant hair bracelet you need an elephant holster!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 11:12:44 PM »
Thanks for all the great feedback.  It has been extremely informative, but I have just one follow up question.

My current pocket holster is leather with the rough side out.  It grips my pocket really well and stays put during the draw.  I really like that the soft leather is against my R9.  It sounds like the elephant is very similar to the rough side leather (in terms of texture, anyway).  Is there a soft side of the skin like the soft side of leather, or are these holsters typically lined with some other material?

I guess if you wear an elephant hair bracelet you need an elephant holster!   Tom
Fortunately, I'm not a slave to fashion, I'm just happy to match two clean socks in the morning ;D

Offline Matt Del Fatti

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2005, 07:09:15 PM »
As with any exotic, elephant is not used as a structural leather but rather is bonded to cowhide or horsehide for use as a holster.  You'd still end up with the smooth side of the cowhide or horsehide next to your pistol.

Offline azrael

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2005, 07:23:51 PM »
What Matt Del Fatti said... ;D

Although Elephant hair bracelets would prolly go well with the pocket holster, I am pretty sure that Milt Sparks doesnt make those...hahehehahahahaahahahaaaaa!!!!!!

And no, even though I got long hair, I dont make them either....lol

Mr Del Fatti,
I had a customer bring over the new copy of a gun rag...I gotta say kudos to the revolver holster pictured on page 53...That is some sweet work!
Dave
Azrael's Custom Leather

"There is no love in your violence"
Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2005, 10:32:18 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I'm a little wiser now!  8)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 02:09:51 AM »
I know this is old news, but something that should be considered, especially w. shell cordovan and ostrich, is that they both will stretch considerably -- elephant is a good choice, but you should be able to find some, albeit probably much more expensive, that have considerably less grain -- just experience from cowboy boots

Brad Kohr, II
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
That is an incredible holster!  Thanks for the outstanding pictures.

I also ordered one, and enclosed the above pictures in an email, so there would be no mixup in the order.

Here is what Tony said:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill,
 The holster in the photo is one I made for a customer, hence the reason it is left hand. It is a duplicate of what I made for myself and also the way we make the PCH for Rohrbaughs. It will probably be made by Nick since he does all the pocket holsters,  but will look the same. Thanks.

Tony
------------------------------------------------------------------

This will join my Hedley holster.  Life is good!

Thanks to Milt Sparks and RJ Hedley for making these wonderful products.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 04:33:54 PM »
Justin,

Did you use a tripod to take those pictures?

And, did you have a close-up lens attached to the camera?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005, 06:41:56 PM »
Yes I used a tripod with a cheapo Kodak 2.1 mpixel camera with no manual settings.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 06:24:42 PM »
Well, I finally got my Milt Sparks PCH in elephant hide, after waiting 13 weeks.

It looks just like the first picture provided by Justine in this thread.  Many, many thanks to Justin for sharing his good fortune.

The holster is a stunning, good-looker.  What a shame it has to be hid in the pocket.

Milt Spark's  PCH is wide, has a large curve, and fits against the leg  perfectly.  It even seems like the R9S is curved!

It now joins my immortal RJ Hedley holster.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:49:33 PM by Michigunner »

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 06:35:33 PM »
Mine took 9 weeks and that seemed like forever.  Why does it only look like my first picture.  I'd love to see front and back pics of yours.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2005, 08:40:53 PM »
Justin,

I'm not set up with a camera right now.

To tell the truth, it looks exactly like yours.

The fit is remarkable.  Don't even know it's there.

Bill