Author Topic: Remington RM380 vs. Rohrbaugh R9 first impressions  (Read 8213 times)

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
Remington RM380 vs. Rohrbaugh R9 first impressions
« on: November 24, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »
So I purchased the new Remington RM380 and it was received by my FFL today. I am both impressed and disappointed with it in different ways. I knew what to expect, but I wasn't interested in buying one because of Remington's continued quality control issues for the past 15+ years. The $100 rebate pushed me over the edge and so I ordered one for $242 last week. (I've heard some shops are as low as $229). But $242 was the cheapest price I could find and with the rebate continuing through December might be the cheapest I'll find. I thought at worst even if I didn't get the rebate I'd have a cheap practice piece that I could use at the range instead of my Rohrbaugh R9, since I don't like to put miles on it.

I have to say out of the box my impressions of its fit and finish for the price range were pretty decent. I know on youtube Hickock45 had an issue with the slide on his first one sent to him by Bud's, but I don't see any such issue popping up with this one. Unfortunately there is a good ding mark on the front of the slide that I will be communicating with Remington about. I pulled this gun new out of the plastic from an online dealer less than 1 hr after it was delivered to my gunshop, so it obviously came that way from the factory.

I nearly ordered the laser version as I was wondering if I could put that laser on my R9, but they changed the design of the trigger guard so I decided to get the regular version. On review of both I probably made the right decision, but I'm interested in hearing about anyone who has been able to make a CT laser for the RM380 work on an R9.

The recoil spring is fairly light, but coupled with the heavy hammer spring I feel that it is about right for the .380 round. I'll see when I take it to the range. The magazine release is ambidextrous and has and overly light weight spring as well. I might have to remedy this in the future with a stronger spring if I can locate the right one out of Wolff's inventory. The mag release design is clever though, so I don't think it would be easy to accidentally release since it is curved to the shape of the grip. And the mag release is ambidextrous. So I can push it either way on either side of the frame to release the mag. The biggest bad news of the magazines is that you will not be able to use them in an R9. They have a rib welded into the back spine so that the .380 ammo sits forward and in about the same place 9x19 does in a normal R9 magazine. One of the mags has a small ding on it as well. But then again, it's not a huge issue for me.

The magazines are good quality. They are parkerized and the spring is decent quality as well. Rohrbaugh grips will not work on this gun as there are cut outs for both the slide stop and the magazine release. The checkered stippling on the front of the grip of the frame is really nice. There is a plastic insert where the trigger goes into that it very sharp and I feel like I will have to file down. I feel this is something that should have been done at the factory level, not the buyer level.

Last observation I noticed after receiving it is that the extractor does not seem to be near the quality of my R9. I can see that my R9's extractor is made of spring steel like my old Beretta's, and bends inward when no round is in the chamber, while the RM380's is flush with the slide regardless.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:35:26 PM by PsychoSword »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Remington RM380 vs. Rohrbaugh R9 first impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »
I am interested in your comments when you get some range time with it.

Thanks for the well written review.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »
I hope that Remington Outdoors survives the recent S&P bond downgrade by a full two notches to CCC-. It doesn't look good but could explain the deep discount prices on their firearms.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:53:32 PM by tracker »

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »
I hope that Remington Outdoors survives the recent S&P bond downgrade by a full two notches to CCC-. It doesn't look good but could explain the deep discount prices on their firearms.

CCC? Ouch! I agree. Though I am not a Remington fan I don't want to see any firearms company go to Chapter 13.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »
Wow! I hope they don't crash before my rebate check clears.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 05:52:27 PM »
Even in a worst case scenario nothing drastic should happen until next year.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 05:53:18 PM »
Wow! I hope they don't crash before my rebate check clears.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 09:00:54 PM »
It doesn't look good but could explain the deep discount prices on their firearms.

Multiple companies have been doing many discounts, or mail in rebates. HK & S&W are a couple. It's a buyer's market right now because of the political climate.

The only other Remington firearm I own is a full choke 30" barrel 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster built in 1979 which was a different era. It was purchase new by my dad and has very low miles. The quality is extremely high and for a shotgun it's a tack driver. I wouldn't even think about selling that gun, ever. Remington since the late 1990's has been kind of a joke.

I haven't had a chance to go to the range yet, but I hope to do so in the near future. Unfortunately right now my next 12 days are full during the few daylight hours we have this time of year. If that changes I'll post an update.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 09:12:15 PM by PsychoSword »

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »
I was hoping to get it out shooting today, but had too many things to do before the sun went down. Hopefully I'll have an indoor range report sometime this week since I won't be able to get to the outdoor range before it gets dark. I've decided not to call Remington about the nick on the front of the slide, not really worth the time for this price of gun. I'll just take a blueing pen to it.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
I was hoping to get it out shooting today, but had too many things to do before the sun went down. Hopefully I'll have an indoor range report sometime this week since I won't be able to get to the outdoor range before it gets dark. I've decided not to call Remington about the nick on the front of the slide, not really worth the time for this price of gun. I'll just take a blueing pen to it.

Best idea yet. ;) ;) A handgun is for SHOOTING not hanging on a wall. For that they have paintings. In my life I have owed, at one time or another, 300-400 different handguns and long guns. EVERY SINGLE one was test fired at least once. I am old school. Your word  that is a FACT, not something to be changed or 'revised.'

kevinqjhps 
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 02:04:25 AM »

Best idea yet. ;) ;) A handgun is for SHOOTING not hanging on a wall. For that they have paintings. In my life I have owed, at one time or another, 300-400 different handguns and long guns. EVERY SINGLE one was test fired at least once. I am old school. Your word  that is a FACT, not something to be changed or 'revised.'

kevinqjhps

Yea, I mean the older I get the less time I have for stupid bullshit. I just don't have the time to worry about a mark on a cheap gun anymore, it's not worth the time I have left in the world. I might just get to firing this thing this weekend finally.