Author Topic: German made Robrbraugh  (Read 7596 times)

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
German made Robrbraugh
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:43:35 AM »
Check this out on Gunbroker from Naples, FL.  "The last of the German-made Robrbraugh" with a buy-it-now for $575.  VZ grips.  I've gotten some crazy deals on a "Rorhbough" and a "Rourhbraugh"  It's like if you can't spell it, you don't know what it's worth. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/748855317

"Robraugh R9. Last of the German made Robrbaugh before Remington bought them out. Nice condition with 2 mags and factory grips.This item is on display in our showroom and auction may end at any time."

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
Re: German made Robrbraugh
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:49:08 AM »
Someone better pick this thing up quick at that price

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
Says:  Item has Ended

That went fast................  lol

Looked like R4235?

Rather well used and not a fan of the grips he had on it, but that can be changed. Also, his spelling of our name was all over the place in his ad!  lol

Cool buy for sure!
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
Item ended with no bids.  I'm assuming one of our Florida regulars stopped by the store and bargained him down to $500

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »

Price dropped when he figured out it was actually made in New York?   ::)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
I talked to the owner of the shop...not a very nice gun. Not for me. As my dad used to say," No matter how many times you wash a donkeys head, you still have a donkeys head!".
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoeGagmo

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »
You can put a Tuxedo on a pig, but it’s still a pig. (Mom’s old saying).

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 07:15:36 PM »
It looked rough.................. Bow Wow............
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:32:06 PM »
I'm the guy that bought it.

I talked to the guy down there on the phone and the spots in the picture is just kind of discolored, no nicks or gouges.

I have been looking for a R9 to send down to Cogan and fix up.  I don't know for sure how far I will go but I will have the front and back straps checkered and the sites dotted for sure.  Probably hard chromed and maybe porting, I'm not sure yet on anything.  I want to shoot it first no matter what.

On a similar subject, I have been wanting a "Vice Gun" for years.  I know some of you will remember Sonny Crockett, Don Johnson, on "Miami Vice".  He carried a hard chromed Bren Ten and I have wanted one too.  The beat up Brens bring big money, so maybe I am not the only one.  I have been looking for 5 years at least.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 09:28:37 PM »
Do not . . . . . I repeat. . . . . Do not have it ported. They do not run well ported. You'll end up looking for a new barrel and slide if you do.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 10:16:20 PM »

If Eric says no, I would believe him!   ;)

I don't love porting on a defensive gun anyway.  Firing from retention could get very interesting!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 11:10:25 PM »
I already have one that Cogan ported and it runs 100% with the three different brands of ammo I have tried.

I have only fired it outside and I did not notice any flash and with muffs I could not tell the difference in noise.  Velocities were good.

I was pleasantly surprised.  Scroll down here for the report.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=6850.msg91121#msg91121
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:20:39 PM by MRC »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 08:17:24 AM »
To do what you are planning to do to it, that gun makes perfect sense. Good luck with your project!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »
As far as porting goes on defense guns, this is not a 357 or a 44.  9mm's are very seldom seen ported because usually it's not needed.  I like ported guns but they are loud and do flash but we are talking large powder charges in most cases.  That is not so with a 9mm, small case, small powder charge.

The other difference is the R9 has a 2 3/4" barrel.  Porting has much less noise increase and flash difference with barrels that short.

I have one of these S&W "Pocket Rocket" 940's.  Shooting the 356 TSW rounds is not all that bad and they are loaded to 50,000 psi vs. 35,000 psi for the 9mm.  The reason is the small powder charge.  I am glad it is ported.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »
All I can say is we had a few that were ported and they didn't run well and were shipped back to us for "warranty repairs". On all cases, after trying all of "the tricks", the customer paid to have it put back to stock with a new slide/barrel setup on his dime. Cost was somewhere around $400 for the parts and the work. Just saying that's what WE experienced at the shop with these altered guns.
Your results may vary (as the saying goes).