Author Topic: The shine is off the apple for me with the P-32  (Read 7676 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
The shine is off the apple for me with the P-32
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »
I finally got to hold one, look down the sights and try the trigger on a Kel-Tec P-32

I really couldn't see the sights and I wasn't able to hold a steady sight picture pulling that trigger.  I didn't like the trigger and the gun jerked to the right a little bit when the trigger broke.

I suppose I could get better with practice but I was disappointed with the little P-32.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: The shine is off the apple for me with the P-32
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »
I once had a Kel-Tec PF9 that had similar tendencies....long long trigger pull,,,worked best fired rapidly in point and shoot mode, except that it continued to have FT feed issues even after a trip to the factory.  It also rattled when shaken due to loose tolerances I guess.  Traded it off quickly.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:55:42 AM »
I still have a P32 and it has always functioned fine.  It is at best a point and shoot firearm.

I bought it new at a gun show shortly after they came out for $175.  To be honest, I bought it just to see if it would actually work and it always has.

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:01:51 PM »
 I have one that I carried until I got my R9.
I trained with it a lot, until it broke on me at the range.
After it came from being repaired at the factory, I realized that it wasn't a range gun, and only shot a few carry mags through it on occasion to check it.
It is the smallest and lightest pocket pistol I know of, except for the NA mini revolvers, and is much easier to put multiple shots on target than the 380 version.
My biggest concern with it was the .32 round's effectiveness.  It is the gun to have, unless you aren't the only one with a gun.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:23:35 AM »
Griff, take a look at a Seecamp .32...a little heavier but has R9 quality...you will like it and it is built to be effective and beautiful as well.  At 2 to 4 yards the action in a combat situation would be pretty much rapid point and shoot which is why the Seecamp has no front sight.  At that range shot placement, which up close and personal may depend more on practice than sight placement, is likely to be as much or more important than caliber.  Having never been in that exact situation, I would certainly defer to the more experienced opinion of one of our LEO's or combat vets on that issue. Nevertheless, I personally carry a 9 or larger except where clothing or circumstance requires the smaller piece.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:40:37 AM »
What is the recoil like on the Seacamp 32 ?

I've heard the recoil on the P-32 is nothing much at all.

I agree that the small SD guns don't need target sights, but I can find the sights on the R9 when deploying it, I really felt lost looking down the P32

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »
Griff, take a look at a Seecamp .32...a little heavier but has R9 quality...you will like it and it is built to be effective and beautiful as well.  At 2 to 4 yards the action in a combat situation would be pretty much rapid point and shoot which is why the Seecamp has no front sight.  At that range shot placement, which up close and personal may depend more on practice than sight placement, is likely to be as much or more important than caliber.  Having never been in that exact situation, I would certainly defer to the more experienced opinion of one of our LEO's or combat vets on that issue. Nevertheless, I personally carry a 9 or larger except where clothing or circumstance requires the smaller piece.
John
Thank's John.  I have looked at the Seecamp.  It is a beauty, and remarkably similar to the Rohrbaugh.
I remember when the Seecamp came out, they were impossible to find except in gun magazines, and had a long waiting period.  I may just revisit the idea of one for those clothing situations.
I agree about the 9mm or larger issue.
Doesn't Seecamp make a .380 version as well?

Count
The p-32 recoil isn't too bad.  The same gun in .380 is a trigger finger mangler in my limited experience.
I have shot the Ruger LCP in .380 and found it quite manageable.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »
Prior to owning a R9, I owned 3, P-32s and two had to go in to be repaired. Then 2, P3ATs and one had to go in to be repaired. I am not a fan of their product.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:17:51 PM by Z »

Offline jetboater

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »
I've got both a Seecamp .32 and a .380.

The recoil on the .32 is comparable to  (or slightly less than) the R9s.   

The .380's recoil is best described as "stout".   I compare it to an M-80 going off in your hand (just joking--but it is very stout).  I can fire a couple of mags thru it at the range then I'm done.  But, as folks on the Seecamp forum correctly point out, you won't notice the recoil if you ever have to fire it in self defense.   

The build quality on the Seecamps is comparable to the R9s--- exceptional.    Just as the R9 is the smallest 9mm, the Seecamps are the smallest .32s and .380s made.   

Whenever the Rohrbaugh is a little bigger than I want to carry (I have 3),  the seecamp works.

There are magazine extensions available (very similar to the ones for the R9) and I highly recommend them.

They are now available with little or no wait---the .32 retails for about $425 and the .380 for about $795.   You can sometimes find them for slightly less. And Seecamp offers a unique service---for an additional $35 you can order one from the factory (shipped to your FFL) with a custom serial number using letters and/or numbers.   The waittime on that option is a couple months right now as i understand it. 

They have a great forum similar to this one worth checking out----

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:06:22 PM by jetboater »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 08:18:26 PM »
What Jetboater says!
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 08:48:17 PM »
I used to carry this LWS-32 as a BUG -- until my beloved little wife "requisitioned" it as her own.  At least I get to clean it after her range sessions.   :-\

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 09:06:52 PM »
Richard, that's a pretty little thing you have.  The pistol is pretty nice too!
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 11:18:27 PM »
I used to carry this LWS-32 as a BUG -- until my beloved little wife "requisitioned" it as her own.  At least I get to clean it after her range sessions.   :-\

[/quote

Looking good Richard :)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »

The Seecamp is all about 'Pocket carry' .... the 32 recoil is ok .... but you need speer gold dots

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:42:08 PM »
My .32 does very well with the Gold Dots, but also with the older Winchester Silvertips.  I've recently used PMC JHP without a single failure to feed or fire.  As with the R9, find out what works and feed it what it likes.  If it does't seem to like anything, have it checked out at the factory as sometimes closed toleranced machines need "tweaking."
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis