Author Topic: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.  (Read 64480 times)

Offline trident

Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo + Range Report on it
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
Hey imo my .380seecamp is a brick...for its size its a heavyweight !  ;)

If you really compare the solo and r9 , its easy to see. As stated earlier just look at trigger guards, r9 is really shaved down , solo is thick ! Solo is just a overweight gun that could be trimmed up a lot. R9 really has a lot of nice machine work in it...maybe its just the jewelers eye I look at items with. My father thinks the solo is smaller and swears its way better built so opinions vary.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »
If you want to shoot +P ammunition, one has to build a heavier pistol.  No matter what the Rohrbaugh wesite says, +P ammo in short barreled pistols is a BIG advantage if you want expansion.  Get your chronograph out and test them, I have.

Most of the extra length of the Solo is grip angle.  I do not know if that is the reason for it, but the Solo just seems to fit my hand and point naturally for me.

JMO

PS: I really like Seecamps but anyone who carries a LWS380  is kidding themselves when there are pistols like the CW380 available for under $350.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:42:31 PM by MRC »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 08:54:49 PM »
I kinda like my Seecamp too. Lol. I've had to replace the trigger bar (paper thin) and the followers in the clip and now the clips themselves are cracked.

Neat little gun, but pretty heavy for size. All stainless steel, so I guess that makes sense.

How do you like the  CW 380 anyway MRC? I've thought about picking one up. Any experience?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »
Also MRC, what do you load your your solo with?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 09:19:35 PM »
In the Solo, I follow ljutic's tests and am now using Remington GS Bonded 124 +P.

I do not have a CW380 but I have had a P380 for 4 years and it is a great 380.  Guys on the Seecamp forum have both and say the CW is just as good.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »
newtab:http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/kimber-solo-carry-stainless-pocket-carry-without-compromises/

Ok Lj I'm slow but I finally figured out that you wrote an article for gunsamerica and that you left the post's adderess. So, I checked it out and thought it was a well done piece.
Liked it and have had very similar experience thus far. Your experienced review put things very well.

Il find some golden saber +p 124's to load for carry. Thanks for the tip.

As for expansion, I think I've seen a video of someone shooting gold dots or something out of the R9 and getting good expansion. Am I wrong?

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 10:12:16 PM »
MRC: thanks for the info sir.

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
Great to hear.  Not to Hyjack your solo thread, but has anyone shot the Solo and Boberg xr9s? I'm curious how they compare back to back from a user.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »
Lol. I would like to add to that question :

How does the boberg compare in size and weight to the solo?

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
Lol. I would like to add to that question :

How does the boberg compare in size and weight to the solo?

I think they are about they same weight.  Both 17 oz.  Barrel on the Boberg is 5/8" longer due to unique design of the action while remaining about 4/10 shorter overall.  Don't quote me on this as I'm going off memory and Boberg marketing material. 

The Boberg action is a not typical and that concerns me a bit.  Only time will tell on this I think.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 03:57:33 PM »
Here is how I rate the four pocket 9mm's that I own.

Conceal ability (pocket carry) - R9(easily),  Solo & PM9(tie), XR9s

Accuracy and shoot ability -  XR9, Solo, PM9, R9

Over all  -  Solo, PM9, XR9s, R9

As far as weight and size, you can do the research off their webs.  The PM9 and Solo are very close overall as far as I am concerned.  The Boberg has the same length barrel as a Glock 26, but I do not get the big increase in velocity that Boberg advertises over the shorter barrel pistols.  He had some bad barrels and I might have one.  The Boberg is a fun gun to shoot and has minimum recoil and is very accurate.  The "reverse feed action" has not been a problem so far for me.

The CM9 comes at a very attractive price and I have not heard anything bad about them.

Overall the Solo just seems to do everything I want and I like it the best.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:59:16 PM by MRC »

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »
Here is how I rate the four pocket 9mm's that I own.

Conceal ability (pocket carry) - R9(easily),  Solo & PM9(tie), XR9s

Accuracy and shoot ability -  XR9, Solo, PM9, R9

Over all  -  Solo, PM9, XR9s, R9

As far as weight and size, you can do the research off their webs.  The PM9 and Solo are very close overall as far as I am concerned.  The Boberg has the same length barrel as a Glock 26, but I do not get the big increase in velocity that Boberg advertises over the shorter barrel pistols.  He had some bad barrels and I might have one.  The Boberg is a fun gun to shoot and has minimum recoil and is very accurate.  The "reverse feed action" has not been a problem so far for me.

The CM9 comes at a very attractive price and I have not heard anything bad about them.

Overall the Solo just seems to do everything I want and I like it the best.

Great info.  Thank you. 

Do you think +P ammo makes any sense in these smaller platforms like the Boberg and Solo?  Have you done any real  life testing of the +p versus standard pressure in any of these guns.   

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »
bobsmith asked

"Do you think +P ammo makes any sense in these smaller platforms like the Boberg and Solo?  Have you done any real  life testing of the +p versus standard pressure in any of these guns."

Velocity is what gives you penetration and expansion.  With short barreled guns, velocity is a problem so +P makes a lot of sense.  The +P ammo gives you about 40 fps more velocity and every bit helps.  I only carry +P ammunition now and practice with whatever is around.  If I know the ammo is compatible with the pistol, I do not shoot a lot of rounds through it.  This means shooting rounds from every box to test them or at least every lot.

Added later:

By the way, I just put my order in for a Boberg XR45-S.  Delivery in about 12 weeks. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:13:07 PM by MRC »

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »
bobsmith asked

"Do you think +P ammo makes any sense in these smaller platforms like the Boberg and Solo?  Have you done any real  life testing of the +p versus standard pressure in any of these guns."

Velocity is what gives you penetration and expansion.  With short barreled guns, velocity is a problem so +P makes a lot of sense.  The +P ammo gives you about 40 fps more velocity and every bit helps.  I only carry +P ammunition now and practice with whatever is around.  If I know the ammo is compatible with the pistol, I do not shoot a lot of rounds through it.  This means shooting rounds from every box to test them or at least every lot.

Added later:

By the way, I just put my order in for a Boberg XR45-S.  Delivery in about 12 weeks.

Got it.  I was curious if you had chrono'd them yourself since it sounds like you might chrono a bit.   Since stated claims on the box seem to vary a lot when compared to real like situations.  I'm sure I could google and find the answer as well.  A bigger muzzle blast is worth something too.

Congrats on the Boberg 45.  That should be a fun one. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:52:28 PM by bobsmith »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 06:54:13 PM »
More updates and additions to the range report.

Went to the range today and ran:

50, 124 gr lawman -perfect

25- 115 gr Winchester silver tip -perfect

That makes for 312 flawless premium ammo (if you consider lawman premium)

I also shot 115 gr American eagle and did get 1 failure to eject out of the 25 rounds I ran through it.

I will probably stay away from the 115 for the most part. I like having a gun I can say (think) has worked 100% reliably.

So the 115 gr American Eagle let me down, but I don't think that disappoints me too much. I will just keep firing primo ammo and if she keeps going bang il be SOLD.

You should also note that I have cleaned the weapon 2 times so far. So this makes 157 rounds since its been cleaned. Alot different than cleaning every 50 max. Very solid weapon IMHO.

So a grand total of 337 rounds fired and 1 failure to eject out of 115 gr cheap ammo : ) lol. FYI my glock 19 Failed to cough a American eagle 115 gr the other day too : ))

Thanks for the awesome tip on the solo MRC. Lovin it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:13:03 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill