Author Topic: Newest Addition - Early Farmingdale  (Read 2527 times)

Offline bayto30a

Newest Addition - Early Farmingdale
« on: November 08, 2020, 01:31:02 PM »
Hello all!! First post for me here but I've been reading and lurking as much as possible trying to learn from the wealth of knowledge about these guns here. :)

I've wanted one of these for a long time and today... this one was liberated from Illinois!

It appears to be new and unfired but I plan on shooting and carrying it pretty exclusively. Winchester Silvertips on the way, couple of different holsters on the way as well. Any additional tips, advice, or anything else I should know? Think it's really cool that the founders of the company are active participants here and if there's any history on this particular firearm, I'd love to hear it! SN R114.

Looking forward to learning from y'all!

~ Chris
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 04:30:45 PM by bayto30a »

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: Newest Addition
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 01:51:46 PM »
That’s a nice early Farmingdale. Hooked mag extension is a plus too.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Newest Addition - Early Farmingdale
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 05:22:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum Chris.

If I were you, I'd order a set of springs from Wolff for it.  Not saying you will have an issue getting them in the future, but you never know.  The dems. have plans to stop all mail order gun parts.

You will need to change the recoil spring about 200 rounds.

Offline bayto30a

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 05:32:34 PM »
Thanks Mike! There’s actually a bunch of extra parts in that bag along with those blue carbon fiber grips  ;D

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »
Nice catch Bayto!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
Hello Chris and Welcome to The Forum!

What you have there is from the first batch of updated framed R9 pistols. The first S.N. in that batch was R101, which Karl has in his safe.  So your R114 was actually in the second row in the second spot of that tray when we were putting them together. Those were assembled sometime in the 2004 year I believe. Just a fun thing to know I guess. Ha haa . . . . . Each batch was in a tray of 48 frames, which I had glass beaded personally at that time after our jeweler deburred the part. Also, note that you have one of those famous "Early Purple Frames". That is something that happened then to the 7075-T6 Aluminum frame upon anodizing by the first anodize company we used, located in Brooklyn, NY. They said that they were also doing work for Kahr Arms at that time. With the "R" preceding the serial number, that was our indication that these are the newer frames that gave full bearing surface to both sides of the frame where the barrel pin was located, making for a stronger frame. This eliminated the slight cracking of the frames in that area of the first 48 R9s. Those had no prefix to the serial number, just numbers. Also, any of those none prefix numbered frames that developed that slight crack were replaced free of charge, of course, to the owner, regardless if they were the original owner or not.

Well, again . . . . . Welcome aboard and we hope you learn much about these little pistols that so many other companies copied back in those days. Our Rohrbaugh Family Crest is on each R9 or R380 pistol we ever made. We are quite proud of them.

Best Regards and Stay Safe out there good Sir!

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline bayto30a

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 11:34:33 AM »
Hello Chris and Welcome to The Forum!

What you have there is from the first batch of updated framed R9 pistols. The first S.N. in that batch was R101, which Karl has in his safe.  So your R114 was actually in the second row in the second spot of that tray when we were putting them together. Those were assembled sometime in the 2004 year I believe. Just a fun thing to know I guess. Ha haa . . . . . Each batch was in a tray of 48 frames, which I had glass beaded personally at that time after our jeweler deburred the part. Also, note that you have one of those famous "Early Purple Frames". That is something that happened then to the 7075-T6 Aluminum frame upon anodizing by the first anodize company we used, located in Brooklyn, NY. They said that they were also doing work for Kahr Arms at that time. With the "R" preceding the serial number, that was our indication that these are the newer frames that gave full bearing surface to both sides of the frame where the barrel pin was located, making for a stronger frame. This eliminated the slight cracking of the frames in that area of the first 48 R9s. Those had no prefix to the serial number, just numbers. Also, any of those none prefix numbered frames that developed that slight crack were replaced free of charge, of course, to the owner, regardless if they were the original owner or not.

Well, again . . . . . Welcome aboard and we hope you learn much about these little pistols that so many other companies copied back in those days. Our Rohrbaugh Family Crest is on each R9 or R380 pistol we ever made. We are quite proud of them.

Best Regards and Stay Safe out there good Sir!

Eric C. Rohrbaugh

Thank you Eric for the education on my particular gun! Love having inside info and history directly from the maker :)

The one thing it did not come with was a manual, anyone have ideas on where I might be able to locate one?

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 04:18:04 PM »

Offline bayto30a

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 04:49:36 PM »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 06:03:08 PM »