Author Topic: Approved members only?  (Read 11073 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Approved members only?
« on: March 24, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »

Under the circumstances, our growth in legitimate members is slow.  Maybe I should make it so that posting requires my approval and for someone to write a sentence about their interest in Rohrbaugh pistols?  Would that be too burdensome for someone who wants to post for the first time?

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline johnny

• Master
Re: Approved members only?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 04:23:01 PM »
   If someone has a real interest in Rohrbaugh,I don't think it's burdensome at all.I do see stuff coming on the forum.(waiting approval.) Do you have to go thru each one and judge what's what?
        Not to patronize, but I think you have done an excellent job in keeping this forum going,and legitimate. I remember a couple years ago when it was going to maybe shut down,but money was sent in and we kept it going.
         I think if somebody has to put a little skin in the game,they may think twice before just typing a few things and getting on.
       I belong to a local outdoor gun club.The cost is $60.00 a year.There are trap leagues,adult and youth,pistol league and ranges for a member to just come and shoot their pistol,shotgun,or rifle.Members must have a key to the gate to get in.
      A problem we have is some members come out,shoot,leave a mess and go home.They never show up on cleaning weekends,which is very seldom.And unauthorized targets are sometimes used.My feeling is each member should be required to contribute some time during the year to help out with the upkeep.
       You are a  major reason this forum is still going.You bring things to the members to get input,and I don't see anyone questioning your request here.
      My vote,yes!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 05:39:56 PM »
For the members in good status that we all know are not scammers. . . . . If they can be given free reign great. . . . but any new member must be cleared by you first so those Russian Sex Videos and Devices don't show up any more.   lol.

I'm in on that count........ Duane needs to authorize new members.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 05:55:57 PM »
I agree but how do you weed out the scammers in a way that they wont catch onto?

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:56:29 PM »
Duane this sounds like a good, fair plan. :)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 07:21:00 AM »
I say leave it the way it is.  This board has very few contributors as it is. 

I think that registering is really kind of a spur of the moment thing usually and making it more difficult will just discourage viewers from doing it.

The spammers are somewhat of a distraction, but I just eliminate them and go on.

I guess the biggest consideration is, "What is easiest for you Duane?"

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
     Yes,I see MRC's point of view.What ever is easiest for you Duane.
         No matter what and where,they is going to be an element of the populace that makes it a bit harder for other people.We could go on and on with that!
       How is our forum doing Duane?
     We are solvent?yes,no?

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 10:27:51 AM »
I agree in principle with MRC, but Duane may be spending an inordinate amount of time blocking Russian attempts to influence our erections   ;)  ;D.  IMO whatever works best for Duane is the way to go.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
I agree, whatever is easiest for Duane.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
I also agree. . . easiest is best for Duane. He has other real commitments elsewhere.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
I agree in principle with MRC, but Duane may be spending an inordinate amount of time blocking Russian attempts to influence our erections   ;)  ;D.  IMO whatever works best for Duane is the way to go.

O.k.  That is funny.   ;D
Duane (DDGator)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
     Yes,I see MRC's point of view.What ever is easiest for you Duane.
         No matter what and where,they is going to be an element of the populace that makes it a bit harder for other people.We could go on and on with that!
       How is our forum doing Duane?
     We are solvent?yes,no?

We have moderate hosting costs now, and I with some of the software upgrades I have needed less outside tech help.  I get the occasional contribution from time to time, and it is enough to keep us going in the current manner.  I may be asking TechGuy for some more guidance on spam-related warfare.  Thanks for asking!
Duane (DDGator)

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »
I want to see the forum continue. So, what works for Duane works for me.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »

I'm going to try it for a while and see what happens.  Maybe it will be more work than the alternative.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »
Or how about giving mod privileges to multiple users so that there is at least someone here to approve new registrations at all times. This will lessen the wait time and not turn people away.