Author Topic: New Frame Color  (Read 2778 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
New Frame Color
« on: October 09, 2004, 11:43:03 PM »
The Rohrbaughs are still experimenting with getting the annodization process at its best.  Once they exhaust the current stock of grey annodized frames, there will be a new darker color -- almost black.

Here is a picture showing the new frame color.  This is just a frame with a slide put on, a trigger dropped in, and the grips laying on top.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Re: New Frame Color
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 03:54:04 PM »
I think the new frame color looks good, and will probably match the proposed new black grips well. I can't help wondering if a black (teflon coated?) slide wouldn't look good with a black anodized frame.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 05:29:14 PM »
I like the black frame as well.

I'd also like to see a black slide, but please not teflon-coated.  Teflon wears off very quickly, far quicker than standard blueing.

A better alternative would be to apply a parkerized base, and then apply a spray & bake polymer finish over the parkerizing.  The polymer will provide the rust resistance while the parkerizing will cause the polymer to adhere to the slide.

Parkerizing on its own adheres well but provides very little corrosion protection.  Polymer on its own provides great corrosion protection while it adheres, but has terrible adhesion.  Put the two together, and it is a near-perfect finish.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 07:13:44 PM »
Bill,  thanks for the comments about black slide bases. What do you think would be a good black base for a stainless steel slide? (Like the Rohrbaugh.)

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 09:56:44 PM »
From what I understand, the Tungsten DLC that's sometimes used on knife blades and recently on Kahrs is one of the toughest black coatings available.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 10:05:57 PM »
Hi 9mil.mouse,

Unfortunately I can't claim any special knowledge of finishes except that which I have read and personally experienced.

The finish Harrydog suggested might be a good choice.  Some of the better finishes applied to stain-resistant (not stainless in this case) knife blades like ATS-34, for example, TiCN, might be a good option.

Black oxide might also work.  Glocks use a Tenifer base with a black oxide top coat, which works out well.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 01:00:32 AM »
I think the black frame looks great!!  Thanks for the pic. Jim, (in the thumb of Mi.)
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!