Author Topic: R-9 Retail Price Change --- REDUCTION!  (Read 5433 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
R-9 Retail Price Change --- REDUCTION!
« on: October 17, 2004, 06:51:27 PM »
Yes, you read that right.  The R-9 was scheduled for a price change on the 15th of this month--well, it got one!

The previous suggested retail of $945 has been reduced to $899, with a corresponding change in the dealer price.

When I met with Eric earlier this month, it was clear that they were agonizing over a price increase and trying to figure out what they could do to avoid one.  With some careful study and refinement, they believe they have become more efficient in production at the factory.

Lets face it -- the number one complaint about the R-9 is its price.  That has apparently not fallen on deaf ears.  Here are some guys that want to make their customers happy.  

Personally, I think they are nuts to lower the price on a new product when the demand outstrips the supply -- but its their company...

And...with thoughts of a second R-9 or R-380 on my mind...I hope to benefit as well!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline TW

• Grand Master
R-9 Retail Price Change --- REDUCTION!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 12:18:09 AM »
>>Wait a minute, Gator...  I could have sworn Eric told me the change would be for a more expensive R9...?...mostly due to price increases of raw materials to them...?...!  Where am I off here???  Tell me things, please...?...TW<<  

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: R-9 Retail Price Change --- REDUCTION!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 09:17:55 AM »

That was the plan -- now its not.  As for where you stand -- you should call Eric.  This is unexpected good news.  
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 10:30:37 AM »
Amazing!!  I am sure they have done some serious thinking and calc's ... and it probably would be a useful marketing point.  I still wish they hadn't got to fork out for that Fed tax tho - that must hurt.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 12:31:53 AM »
I think that it had something to do with the Supply & Demand curve ...

... that I presented here
.  ;)

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 02:15:31 PM »
So I'm hearing from sources that they actually lowered the MSRP, but raised the dealer price...
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline TCat

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 02:17:39 PM »
Lets face it -- the number one complaint about the R-9 is its price.
I thought the number one complaint was lack of availability.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 04:46:49 PM »
FJC,

Eric tells me today that there is no definitive answer on the dealer price yet -- and what is out there now is just rumors and speculation.  They are stilling working everything out on the pricing and will have an official answer in a few days.

TCat,

I assume you are jerking my chain a bit.  :P  Obviously the two are pretty closely related.  The criticism I hear most is that the price is too high...  Such complaints are made mostly by people who are not really interested in buying one and thus don't know or don't care about the availability.  ::)
Duane (DDGator)

Offline TCat

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 02:35:29 PM »
I assume you are jerking my chain a bit.  :P  Obviously the two are pretty closely related.  The criticism I hear most is that the price is too high...  Such complaints are made mostly by people who are not really interested in buying one and thus don't know or don't care about the availability.  ::)
Not at all.  (Meaning no chain jerking.)  What I've seen while researching the R9s is that the availability is so low (or demand is so high; they mean the same thing relative to supply) that the typical purchaser cannot go to the local gunstore and hold one, nor can they buy one and have it delivered in two weeks.  

Yeah, other guns cost less but they're also more available.  You know I've done a lot of hard reading on the R9 and have come up with other concerns, but price really isn't one I've seen popping up much.  The Seecamp cost a lot more than near-competitors when it came out too, but that didn't prevent sales.  

On the other hand, I'm not against a price drop.  It does raise the question of whether the scarce availability is lack of capacity or lack of pull-demand due to lack of visibility.  Because of the backlog of orders, I had assumed that they simply couldn't build guns fast enough to meet the orders.  Is that no longer a problem?

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 04:11:49 PM »
I talked with both Eric and Maria this morning and the price change has not happened yet. There is some talk about this but nothing has been done yet and will not effect the orders in house at this point. The price seems high but when you look at and handle the R9,you can see the high quality in this pistol. After all it seems that the real reason to have one is to save your life if it comes to that, you would want all the quality and a gun that runs and goes bang when the trigger is pulled! The Seecamp .32acp sold retail for about $450 but the lack of them drove the price up to $850-$995. The retail price of the Seecamp .380 is $850. I hope this puts a little perspective of the worth of a high quality 9mm pocket pistol.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 04:22:30 PM »
Tom ... useful comparitive data there re Seecamp ...... welcome to you here ... hope you enjoy. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 05:16:54 PM »
It doesn't make much sense to buy a Seecamp 380 over the 32 considering Seecamps only shoot hollowpoints.  Therefore no savings on target ammo, and I'm not convinced that the 380 is better than a 32 out of a short barrel.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 10:35:45 AM »
First of all it is a pleasure being here! The price is not going to change at this time. I talked with Eric yesterday about 6:00 PM eastern. He said they are going absorb the costs and talk about the price next year, most likely at the SHOT SHOW in Vegas at the end of January. I think we all believe in the quality of the R9S and it is worth the money if we ever need to use it to defend ourselves. The Seecamps will run on ball ammo, if you remove the spacing plate on the inside of the back edge of the mag. Then put it back in to use the hollow point defense round. One has decide for themselves if the .380 cal is better than the .32acp. The Seecamp .380 is still very hard to get, just like the old days of trying to get a .32acp. The .32acp is not hard to get at this time.  I am both a dealer for Seecamp and Rohrbaugh. Both companies have good customer service to their dealers. Both address any gun problems in a timely matter. However the folks at Rohrbaugh are in a league by themselves when it comes to support of the dealer and the end user/customer.  If there is a problem for anyone ordering and getting a R9S, let me know. I'm in Dallas, Texas and can ship to your local dealer of choice. I have deposits on guns for the rest of this year. I am taking deposits on R9S pistols for delivery in January of 2005. Even tho I need to take care of my local customers I will try to help anyone's needs from this forum.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline ken

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 06:15:20 PM »
I guess I am a little confused after reading the posts on price. Is the price going to go up or down as stated earlier?
Ken

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 06:17:07 PM »
Keep watching here.   When this is finalized, the answer will be posted here.  
Duane (DDGator)