Author Topic: Lubrication of the R9  (Read 17960 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Lubrication of the R9
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2004, 03:55:30 PM »
So-oo,It doesn't matter much which "style" of Superlube is used?? As on the AAA sight I see several but all appear "different"  ::)

Thanks for any clarification on this from any in the know..

I have used Rig as this is what I have on hand but would like to use the "proper" lube..

Thanks again..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2004, 02:48:46 PM »
I guess no one else knows for sure either.. :o

Thanks...
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Lubrication of the R9
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2004, 03:21:23 PM »
>>Hi Brenden...

If you look at AAA Industrial Supply website http://www.aaaindustrialsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25 ...Tel. 888.508.0585
you will see several offerings of Superlube (with free shipping!!!).  Of these...at the bottom of the screen you will see a 3oz syringe of "high temp, extreme" superlube on offer...and according to the description it contains the most PTFE of all products on offer.  This is what I ended up buying - figuring more might be better, or certainly can't be worse.  That said...I don't know that the other Superlube products won't work.  For answer to that question - my advise would be to call Eric...TW<<

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2004, 03:27:36 PM »
TW,
     Thanks-that is the site that I have looked at and it just gave me too many choices.. :D

Does your's seem to work ok? I will get this to try it out..

Thanks for your response..Much appreciated..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2004, 06:45:19 PM »
I know this thread is about lube, but I thought I'd share my method for taking down and reassembling theR9s.  You need only reasonable grip strength for this.

Hold the pistol in your left hand with fingers over the top of the barrel and thumb through the trigger guard (muzzle will be pointing left).  Pull the slide back until the pin hole lines up with the pin.  Squeeze with your left hand, which holds the slide aligned with the pin.  Tap the pin out enough to lock the slide.  Then retract and hold the slide enough to free the pin, which should be able to be removed with your right hand's fingers.  Reassembe in reverse.

Musician

Offline Ratzo

• Forum Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2004, 08:39:02 PM »
Eric stated that you should use compressed air to blow off your gun when cleaning, my question: I use Dust Off compressed-Gas Duster to blow of things on my computer, it says Blasts Dust and Dirt from your computer and everything else. Is it OK to use on Guns, has anyone ever used it for that purpose, Would Eric approve this method?

Sells at Cosco's, (3) 12oz Cans for approx 5.00 Dollars. ???

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2004, 08:57:58 PM »
Musician .. yeah that way works ... I have tried it and it does prove tenable.  I think tho much depends on hand size and strength so - maybe not for everyone.  One method to keep in the ''armory'' for sure.

Ratzo - AFAIK that aerosol is compressed nitrogen ... which is inert and fine to use IMO as a ''blast of air'' method.  I have a compressor in shop and use that to charge a portable 7 gallon receiver, which I then keep in the other side of my office where take downs and cleaning are done.  They are quite cheap (IIRC about $17 from Harbor Freight) ... may even be in WalMart.  Add a bit for some fittings, hose and regulator and it does good.  Mine still has useable pressure in it after many weeks.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2004, 01:23:03 AM »
Have to concur with R9SCarry (and I like the system he has set up - pretty cool, I might give that one a try myself). A blast of compressed air can work wonders to rid debris from a system. Someone even has a system to use a barrel solvent on a plug and then blast it out with a wicked high pressure shot. I'm not going to try that one as it seems a bit dubious but for general cleaning then GREAT!!!!
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Lubrication of the R9
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2004, 06:25:11 AM »
>>Brenden... My R9 seems to be doing fine with the "High Temp, Extreme" SuperLube...but then I haven't used it alot yet.  I've heard of others here on the forums using other types of SuperLube from off this site and so far no problems mentioned.  Again...I would rather have too much, then not enough (PTFE, whatever) so unless someone can show me differently - I'll stick to what I've got.

Offline Ratzo

• Forum Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2004, 02:40:02 PM »
Hey R9SCarry:

I like your idea of the 7 Gallon Air receiver, small and can be placed away,  use it when needed.

Thanks for a response

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2004, 03:00:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info..
I will buy and try the "high temp" style..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe