Author Topic: SOLD  (Read 10140 times)

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: Need some Help
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2019, 10:32:31 PM »
Thanks but was trying to raise some funds due to surgery, if it sells all the better, Thanks for the Advise:) Dan

The problem with used Rohrbaugh sales is that they’re not a very liquid asset.  Glock sells over a million guns per year, so they sell the total number of Rohrbaughs ever produced every two or three days.  If you had a used Glock 19, you might have 1000 potential buyers.  If you dropped the price $25 less than market, you would have an instant sale.  If you price your Rohrbaugh just right, it might take a week or a month for a potential buyer to appear.  In a desperate situation, if you lower the price way below the market value, you lure otherwise non-buyers into potential buyers.  The problem is there are so few buyers, a desperate sale is way below market value.  ECR has the right idea; hang tight at a price, and it will eventual sell. 

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2019, 01:31:56 PM »

The market for Rohrbaugh guns is changing.  When the guns were new and hot, the average CCW buyer (or at least one with a few more dollars in their pocket) was interested in purchasing the R9 as a carry gun because of the size and function, while others were attracted to the gun (and particularly the special editions) as a collector piece.

As time goes on, the practicality of buying an R9 to carry for self-defense for the next decade is decreasing rapidly.  The folks left in the market are going to mostly be the collectors, and the ones who like finely manufactured products for their intrinsic value.  The average Joe isn't deciding between an R-9 and Glock 43 for everyday concealed carry anymore.

Now, I don't have to tell you that the average age of the folks on this forum is...well...older. ;)   In part because older folks have more disposable income, of course.  We also tend to value quality over the newest "tactical" gear.  But I do wonder what that means even for the collectable market a decade or two from now.

Rick on Pawn Stars always says -- "just because something is rare doesn't make it valuable." People have to want it.  I wonder how many folks who are 30 years old today are going to be collecting Rohrbaugh pistols in 20-30 years?  I think there will be a peak in prices at some point, and then they will start going down.  The question is -- when will that peak be, or has it occurred?

I know there are folks in this forum who watch this market much closer than I do anymore.   What do we think?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2019, 05:03:05 PM »

The market for Rohrbaugh guns is changing.  When the guns were new and hot, the average CCW buyer (or at least one with a few more dollars in their pocket) was interested in purchasing the R9 as a carry gun because of the size and function, while others were attracted to the gun (and particularly the special editions) as a collector piece.

As time goes on, the practicality of buying an R9 to carry for self-defense for the next decade is decreasing rapidly.  The folks left in the market are going to mostly be the collectors, and the ones who like finely manufactured products for their intrinsic value.  The average Joe isn't deciding between an R-9 and Glock 43 for everyday concealed carry anymore.

Now, I don't have to tell you that the average age of the folks on this forum is...well...older. ;)   In part because older folks have more disposable income, of course.  We also tend to value quality over the newest "tactical" gear.  But I do wonder what that means even for the collectable market a decade or two from now.

Rick on Pawn Stars always says -- "just because something is rare doesn't make it valuable." People have to want it.  I wonder how many folks who are 30 years old today are going to be collecting Rohrbaugh pistols in 20-30 years?  I think there will be a peak in prices at some point, and then they will start going down.  The question is -- when will that peak be, or has it occurred?

I know there are folks in this forum who watch this market much closer than I do anymore.   What do we think?

I agree 100%. I am down to one R9 Stealth, new in the box perfect & complete...one of the last 6000's. I will keep that always & it'll probably always be worth what I paid for it. The rest have been sold off. I now carry a Glock 43X or a Sig P938 Legion. I like the word "older".
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2019, 10:11:43 PM »
Thanks for all the advice but bottom line is I have to sell it, so I guess I will wait it out and maybe put on another sight?? Dan
GeminiDan

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 07:25:39 PM »
 To me what you said Duane makes a lot of sense.I'v experienced the slow market.That's just the way things are.I have my R9,Knighthawk 1911,Ruger LCR,and possibly one of my Glocks ready to ride along with me when I head down to Milwaukee next week to do some sitting for grand kids. I plan on stopping at Cabela's and Midwest Shooting Supply in Lomira,which I go right past and see what they offer.
     Times change and so do we.However.I have said this many times on this forum,my R9 has been by far the most comfortable firearm I have ever carried.And it just smells of extremely high craftsmanship. 

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »
I do agree its is a great gun, and I know that for many years it was and still is an ELITE gun, but times change and the younger crowd has shifted towards "TACTICAL" guns, I still enjoy carrying a 5 shoot 10.5 oz J Frame coated in ROBAR coating, which they dont make anymore it is a classic, lightweight great pocket gun which I will never sell, or My Colt Pony Pocketlite that is a full custom job, Old school and is good as any 380 out there.
GeminiDan

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »
  That little gun does grow on you.My Glocks,Knighthawk,and my little revolver basically mean nothing to me.But the Rohrbaugh,I guess I'll just have to see what happens.I'm not giving it away.I have a Warn multimount winch that I have had for probably the same amount of time as my R9.Pretty much everything has a price,or near everything.I have bought and sold quite a few guns over the years.Not as many as many of you on this forum,but quite a few.July 8th.I had some surgery on my heart,that was most likely due to Agent Orange from my time in Vietnam in 1967.Until October 8th I have been limited to what I can do.3 months is a long time for me to not do much.I have had quite a bit of time on my hands.My wife lost her best friend from childhood,65 years of friendship,our middle daughter's husband's nephew was killed in Madison,Wi at the age of 17,like a week before,and back in June we had to put our 15 year old dog down.So,between June and now,in a way a lot of things have gone on.My point.Some of us look back at things and think about what's important and what isn't so much.Of all the guns I have had there has only been one I have always regretted selling.And that was a Browning BLR.And ironically I only shot one deer with it,a very nice 12 pointer,like 1980,or somewhere there abouts. Well,I purchased a new BLR about a month and a half ago.And I went thru all the paperwork and hoops,and in a lottery was given a permit this year to gun hunt at Fort McCoy,Wi. Out of nostalgia,I'm going back to that same stand.Some of us can part with things easier than others.When I do take those 3 or 4 guns in for a price,I will certainty think twice before I let the R9 go.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »
You may qualifiy for VA disability. Have you looked into that possibility?

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2019, 08:55:31 AM »
 Actually as of about two years ago,I do.Finally got pressured to get involved with the VA.by one of our kids.Glad I did.They have been very beneficial.

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 06:45:08 PM »
JUST BRINGING IT OIUT AGAIN SEE IF ANYONE TAKES SOME INTEREST?? OR OPEN TO OFFERS? TX DAN
GeminiDan

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2019, 10:28:03 AM »
Why don't you place on GunBroker. Your gun is nice, the price is reasonable, it will sell there. I always place what I have for sale here 1st at a reduced price. I wait about 1-2 weeks. If it doesn't sell, I place on GB and off it goes. This forum is a great place to sell a Rohrbaugh. GB will usually do more money. Good luck!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »
Agreed
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2019, 11:45:49 PM »
GENTLEMEN THIS R9 IS NOW SOLD , THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU WORK IN THE INDUSTRY.. SOMEBODY IN FLORIDA CAME TO MY RESCUE. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE..GMAN
GeminiDan

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: SOLD
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »
Good to hear. Thanks for letting us all know.

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.