Miscellaneous > The Water Cooler -- General Discussions

California Trip

<< < (2/4) > >>

cargaritaville:

--- Quote from: DDGator on October 27, 2023, 10:41:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: cargaritaville on October 26, 2023, 04:10:36 PM ---Teslas everywhere! Tesla charging stations backed up forever.

--- End quote ---

So...  Fun fact.  I recently bought a Tesla.  I love technology, and the cars are basically a rolling computer that use tech that no other cars do.  It's also crazy fast.  Teslas are truly amazing machines.

Now listen -- I know people who don't like EVs are afraid the government is going to make them give up their F-350 Diesel for a SmartCar.   I'm not in favor of government getting bigger or making more restrictive laws on much of anything, no less car ownership.

But don't blame the poor Teslas!   ;D

--- End quote ---
[/color]

Not blaming Teslas. Not enough charging stations if you go on a trip. Charging stations at the National Parks backed up for hours. Hotel charging stations reserved for hours.

tracker:
I see many more Teslas in Houston than I do on I-45 between here and Dallas. A prolonged traffic jam could be a problem. Also, Hertz is experiencing high repair cost on Teslas. One repair shop showed me eight Teslas with front end damage. His explanation was that drivers became so focused on the large dashboard screen that they forgot to look out the front window.

DDGator:

--- Quote from: tracker on October 27, 2023, 11:08:27 AM ---Do you still have your BMW that you bought in Germany?

--- End quote ---

No -- that was a leased car and I turned it in back in 2018.  Maybe my favorite car experience though!

DDGator:

--- Quote from: cargaritaville on October 27, 2023, 11:32:07 AM ---
Not blaming Teslas. Not enough charging stations if you go on a trip. Charging stations at the National Parks backed up for hours. Hotel charging stations reserved for hours.

--- End quote ---

I have only charged at home, and it's not really an issue here.  Charging demand is a temporary problem though, I think.  The network keeps expanding.  By 2025 all EVs are going to use the Tesla style charger, so charging stations will be more plentiful.  In fact, BP is now starting a campaign to put Superchargers in all its gas stations.

These are growing pains that will sort themselves out -- but agree it can be a problem right now!

DDGator:

--- Quote from: tracker on October 27, 2023, 11:38:02 AM ---I see many more Teslas in Houston than I do on I-45 between here and Dallas. A prolonged traffic jam could be a problem. Also, Hertz is experiencing high repair cost on Teslas. One repair shop showed me eight Teslas with front end damage. His explanation was that drivers became so focused on the large dashboard screen that they forgot to look out the front window.

--- End quote ---

Tesla has a huge factory in Austin, so I would think you would see a lot -- despite the love for oil in Texas!  ;)

A traffic jam isn't really a huge problem, for the most part -- unless you are really pushing the range of the car when it happens.  Low speed stop and go is pretty efficient with the regenerative braking.  Sitting in traffic isn't that bad either.  The best way to road trip an EV is to stay between 20% and 80% all the time -- meaning only very short charging stops are required.  The car will go well below 0% if needed, so it would be super bad luck to run out of juice in traffic.

I saw the Hertz story too.  The losses seem to be caused in large part by the fact that Tesla cut prices and Hertz had to reflect that "loss" in their inventory values.  Repair costs can be an issue compared to legacy automakers, but I think that is probably growing pains too that will sort themselves out.  Generally speaking there is much less maintenance cost on an EV -- tires and wiper blades mostly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version