Author Topic: Question about Model Updates  (Read 3610 times)

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
Question about Model Updates
« on: November 18, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
Hi.  I've been in possession of my R9 for about 11 years.  It doesn't get out much now for practice since I'm pretty much forced to shoot at an outdoor range due to how loud an indoor range can get.  Anyway, I just looked at the Buy-sell and was reading about updates.  My model is in the 2500-2600 range and I'm wonder what updates I am missing and if I need to address anything.   If I do need to address is, who is now working on these little guys? 

It only sees a diet of 124g Gold Dot or HSTs now, but it's been a pleasure to own.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: Question about Model Updates
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »
At indoor ranges, I usually use foam ear plugs with earmuffs over those. This really decreases the noise to the point where now I use electronic earmuffs to amplify ambient sounds like talking while decreasing gunshots. 

As far as your serial number, if nothing is wrong, you don't need to change anything.  The slide material was changed and the firing pin was moved more on-center in two separate updates. 

William's Gunsight in Michigan does the Rohrbaugh warranty work. 

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:44:22 PM »
Good afternoon BytorJr,

Your serial number range is all good, especially if you have the dots in-between the U.S.A. and not USA on the left hand side of the slide.
Also, check to see if the left hand side of the slide is block lettering or Old English type.
Block lettering, you're good to go.
Old English, let me know.

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 10:36:42 PM »
Wow, thanks Eric!!!

Well, on the left hand side the USA is USA (no periods) in block lettering and on the right the Rohrbaugh is in Old English.

The only thing I've ever noticed is there seems to be wear on slide rails.   I bought it "pre-owned" in 2007 or early 2008; but I bet the guy I bought it from didn't fire more than 20 rounds through it.  I was about to send it back to get it "re-certified" but then ended up moving (and that usually causes complete chaos).   There still isn't anything out there that is as small in 9mm.  Mine has eaten everything I've fed; primarily Gold Dot or HST 124g.    Only malfunction I ever had was when the grip screws loosened.   It sports new grips now and somewhere I have new mag springs and recoil springs (again...here we go with figuring out where stuff is...yet another move).

Oh, and I always double up so to speak.  Unfortunately the guy I was shooting with at CMP brought out his 338 Lapua, set up beside me with angled break, and never really gave me a heads up.  Then he fired off several in rapid succession.  If you've never been around a 338, the overpressure is significant.  Granted, years of duck hunting pre-electronic protection took their toll too.  As far as doubling up, one is not doubling the protection because that's a logarithmic effect - it's actually shocking if one does the math how little that adds up.   Besides, shooting steel is much more fun and provides instant feedback. :)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »
Wow, thanks Eric!!!

Well, on the left hand side the USA is USA (no periods) in block lettering and on the right the Rohrbaugh is in Old English.

The only thing I've ever noticed is there seems to be wear on slide rails.   I bought it "pre-owned" in 2007 or early 2008; but I bet the guy I bought it from didn't fire more than 20 rounds through it.  I was about to send it back to get it "re-certified" but then ended up moving (and that usually causes complete chaos).   There still isn't anything out there that is as small in 9mm.  Mine has eaten everything I've fed; primarily Gold Dot or HST 124g.    Only malfunction I ever had was when the grip screws loosened.   It sports new grips now and somewhere I have new mag springs and recoil springs (again...here we go with figuring out where stuff is...yet another move).

Oh, and I always double up so to speak.  Unfortunately the guy I was shooting with at CMP brought out his 338 Lapua, set up beside me with angled break, and never really gave me a heads up.  Then he fired off several in rapid succession.  If you've never been around a 338, the overpressure is significant.  Granted, years of duck hunting pre-electronic protection took their toll too.  As far as doubling up, one is not doubling the protection because that's a logarithmic effect - it's actually shocking if one does the math how little that adds up.   Besides, shooting steel is much more fun and provides instant feedback. :)

Hello BytorJr,

Excellent! With the block lettering on the slide, you have a more desirable "Shooter". The barrel and the slide are of the same material, that being 416 stainless steel. Similar metals. The slides that are marked "Made in USA" in Old English Text are, while earlier units, made of the "better quality" 17-4ph stainless steel, but produced some galling of the lockup surfaces. The 416 units held up a little bit better once they mated. The only difference you have is you are missing the very last update, which would be indicated by the dots in between the U.S.A. That update simply signifies that we moved the firing pin hole about .002" to one side to fully center it on the 9mm rounds. It really was more of us making the pistol as perfect as we could. With the firing pin being ever so slightly "off center", it was "bugging" Karl, so that "update" was instituted to correct that. It bothered Karl that it was off by a couple of thousandths, so, being of German decent and a stubborn s.o.b., it had to be fixed "properly" for our own heads. lol. So be it. . . . . it is done.

Hope you enjoy the R9, you should be good to go now.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 10:19:59 AM »
Thank you Eric, and a belated Happy Thanksgiving to you.  I took the "internet" off yesterday :).

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »
It is good to take off from The Internet BytorJr.

ECR