Author Topic: Rohrbaugh revolver...  (Read 13361 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Rohrbaugh revolver...
« on: September 26, 2005, 02:23:24 AM »
After playing w. my grandfather's colt the other day, what I want it a well-built double action revolver...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Rohrbaugh revolver...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 12:13:48 PM »
Seems like there should be a pic???
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline alternate

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 03:50:17 AM »
I bet they could make a nice little 9MM or even 357MAG.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 05:39:17 PM »
Supposedly Taurus tried to make a 9mm revolver on an "I" frame last year which is a hair smaller than a "J" frame, but I guess things didn't work out so well and I think they decided to re-release it next year or at the next shot show if they work out the bugs.

Offline HiCap

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 10:48:35 PM »
I have a Taurus 905 for sale at the local gun shop.  It was as neat as any J frame, but a tad heavier.  Very smooth trigger and shot like a champ.  Five shot moon clips.  The only reason I got rid of it was that I was paring down and wanted the Rohrbaugh.  Still have my Bodyguard and Centennial Airweights.  Tradition has its price.

Now for a Devel.....

HiCap

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 04:59:47 AM »
I have a Taurus 905 for sale at the local gun shop.  It was as neat as any J frame, but a tad heavier.  Very smooth trigger and shot like a champ.  Five shot moon clips.  The only reason I got rid of it was that I was paring down and wanted the Rohrbaugh.  Still have my Bodyguard and Centennial Airweights.  Tradition has its price.

Now for a Devel.....

HiCap

That's actually the first positive review I heard of one. And believe me I WANTED to read positive reviews.

They were going to release a titanium version, but that never panned out because of the problems with the stainless. I assume yours is a stainless.

I had a problematic titanium .41 mag (415T) and I really WANTED to like that revolver as well, but it developed timing problems after only a couple hundred rounds.

I've seen alot of Taurus firearms with problems or outright break while shooting. I really hope they are getting their act together because they are one of the most innovative companies.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 05:02:40 AM by PsychoSword »

Offline Carter

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 08:07:19 AM »
Now for a Devel.....

HiCap

I remember in the early 80's that I wanted a Devel S&W really bad but couldn't afford it at the time. Now I've bought an R9S, so things are going better now...   ;D

Most of the improvements and tricks that were introduced by the Devel conversions have already shown up on production pistols by now. Devel went belly-up in 1984, so even the newest Devel designs are just collectable curios and not serious shooters for the intended purpose (respectable calibers in small packages).
The Rohrbaugh itself blows away anything that was even dreamed of in the Devel skunkworks, and production pistols today that have stolen his design improvements can be had as over-the-counter pistols from S&W and Browning, for example.

Anyway, a short but accurate read on the Devel company tells a bit of a depressing story of a guy who did everything right but could never get any significant rewards for his efforts. It seems he couldn't keep his mouth shut, and his ideas kept getting stolen before he could sell them.  :'(

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_172_28/ai_n6204163
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:09:43 AM by Carter »

Offline scaatylobo

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 11:26:37 AM »

I remember in the early 80's that I wanted a Devel S&W really bad but couldn't afford it at the time. Now I've bought an R9S, so things are going better now...   ;D

Most of the improvements and tricks that were introduced by the Devel conversions have already shown up on production pistols by now. Devel went belly-up in 1984, so even the newest Devel designs are just collectable curios and not serious shooters for the intended purpose (respectable calibers in small packages).
The Rohrbaugh itself blows away anything that was even dreamed of in the Devel skunkworks, and production pistols today that have stolen his design improvements can be had as over-the-counter pistols from S&W and Browning, for example.

Anyway, a short but accurate read on the Devel company tells a bit of a depressing story of a guy who did everything right but could never get any significant rewards for his efforts. It seems he couldn't keep his mouth shut, and his ideas kept getting stolen before he could sell them.  :'(

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_172_28/ai_n6204163
I came SO close to buying one when I got on the job,should have just for the collector value.But yes the R-9 blows the Devel away as to all features.

Offline Packard

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 04:51:55 PM »
What exactly do you want from the revolver?  Light weight?  Craftsmanship?  

Smith & Wesson makes really fine quality revolvers of the best craftsmanship.  Indeed revolvers require much closer tolerances than pistols to be functional.

Light weight?  I think they get down to 13 ounces nowadays.

Smaller:  NAA makes fine quality revolvers in very small sizes.  There .22 magnum is a real gem.

The gun you are wishing for is already available.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 06:48:01 PM »
What exactly do you want from the revolver?  Light weight?  Craftsmanship?  

Smith & Wesson makes really fine quality revolvers of the best craftsmanship.  Indeed revolvers require much closer tolerances than pistols to be functional.

Light weight?  I think they get down to 13 ounces nowadays.

Smaller:  NAA makes fine quality revolvers in very small sizes.  There .22 magnum is a real gem.

The gun you are wishing for is already available.

The gun were looking for would have the word Rohrbaugh stamped on it.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
Yep!  The name says it all!  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 09:17:50 PM »
After playing w. my grandfather's colt the other day, what I want it a well-built double action revolver...

Don't know what caliber you want, but the Ruger Redhawks sure are tanks.

That's why gunsmiths like to use them as base guns for their own hand cannons.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Packard

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 04:13:48 PM »
Loose fit can work to make semi-automatics very reliable (if not very accurate), but with revolvers, the fit needs to be very very exact if you want a functional weapon.

I think Smith & Wesson makes the best revolvers nowadays, and very good ones at that.  I have not fired the NAA revolvers but the fit and finish on these look to be very nice too.

The Rugers are solid and well-made, but not as pretty as the Smiths.  Dan Wesson used to make really nicely finished (but ugly) revolvers too.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »

I agree with Reinz on the Ruger quality being superior to the present day Smiths. The older Smiths are a different animal entirely and were unexcelled in the revolver world. The NAA is a quality weapon also and I can attest to the functionality of the NAA minis.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »
I've got the present day Smith & Wesson's and the Ruger's and like both brands.  Haven't had any problems.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln