Author Topic: Practical practice with the R9 (and ammo that seems to work)  (Read 5316 times)

Offline espy2022

Practical practice with the R9 (and ammo that seems to work)
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
First off, thanks to all of the forum members that post about their experiences.  I have learned a LOT from just lurking around in the background and reading your posts.

On to my range report, it has admittedly been a good 6 months since I've been to the range with my R9.  That said, it is carried daily with Gold Dots (either 124 or 147, standard loads) and I tend to just empty the current mag at around 5 yards.  I've honestly never attempted to shoot it past 7 yards, and my logic behind that is for defensive purposes, and given the pistols diminutive size, "practical practice" would not really extend much beyond 21 feet.  In an SD/SHTF situation, I'm going to be thinking about getting out of dodge first if I have more than 7 yards between myself and an assailant.  That and, honestly, I don't think I'd be able to place shots well beyond that distance. 

I've also found that the pup seems to like 147 grain range ammo.  I say that having tried Blazer Brass 115 grain ammo and experiencing FTFs which is obviously undesirable.  I also tried some 'questionable' 115 grain bulk ammo that it didn't like.  I've never had a hiccup with Gold Dots or any of the Federal hollow points I've put through it.  My theory is that since there is more powder in the 147 grain/high quality HPs to push the bullet out of the barrel, that same additional "boom" helps the little guy cycle more reliably vs. the 115 grain rounds with less powder. 

This brings me to two questions I'd love to get some feedback on:

- Should my definition of "practical practice" for self-defense situations be extended beyond 7 yards? 

- I've seen where others were able to practice with 115 grain ammo and didn't have any issues... I've always used Blazer Brass in my other guns, so what brand(s) of ammo do you practice with?  Fiocchi 147 grain is my go-to for practice these days.

Thanks all,
JD 

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
Re: Practical practice with the R9 (and ammo that seems to work)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:15:19 PM »
I use Speer lawman for practice in 147gr. It's cheaper than gold dots and I have not had any issues yet with it.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
This brings me to two questions I'd love to get some feedback on:

- Should my definition of "practical practice" for self-defense situations be extended beyond 7 yards? 

- I've seen where others were able to practice with 115 grain ammo and didn't have any issues... I've always used Blazer Brass in my other guns, so what brand(s) of ammo do you practice with?  Fiocchi 147 grain is my go-to for practice these days.

Thanks all,
JD

First of all, if I have not previously welcomed you to the Forum I do so now.

1.  I would recommend practicing at 7 yards and even beyond that distance.  You may be surprised.

2.  Since the R9 is not intended as a range gun, I limit my range sessions with it and simply use the carry ammunition of my choice.  Although some reasonable minds will differ, my first choice for "Farmingdale" No. 132 is 124-grain Remington Golden Sabers with the same load in Speer Gold Dots a close second. 

_____

I might add that while I formerly ran 147-grain loads in my R9 I changed to 124-grains for commonality with my HK P7, the gas-retarded recoil system of which was designed for 115/124-grain loads.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:27:05 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:10:06 PM »
Espy2022, Great question.
My Covert R9 seems to function with 115, 124, 147 ammo without any issues (as does my standard version backup R9) but I use only Federal HST or Gold Dot, and carry 124 exclusively.  Since they are close toleranced essentially handmade pistols, each individual handgun seems to have its own preference for ammunition.  Lubricate it well, grip it tightly, keep it clean and feed it what it likes best.  Once those parameters are worked out, carry with confidence.  I practice sometimes at 20 yards, but have trouble hitting a paper plate predictably with rapid fire off the front sight, which is all I would expect in the SHTF scenario.  I agree that I will expect to use it at 7 to max 10 yards, and at any other distance seek cover or retreat.  If ISIS (ISIL??? according to dumbass) shows up, I have larger high capacity handguns and an AR or two that should perhaps become my EDC.  Welcome to the forum...come back often.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »
I am hoping that the RM380 is similar to the R9 as far as sights and trigger goes so that I could benefit from practicing with the RM380.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
With the RM380 basically being a Rohrbaugh .380 with a few tweaks, you should do well with one of those. I am very happy they decided to keep the aluminum frame! The trigger pull being, as they mention, around the 7 1/2 pound mark, that is exactly what the R9 is. Sounds like a good one to me. 
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.