Author Topic: Check this out  (Read 10611 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Check this out
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
The Bond Bullpup doesn't require any grease because of a different metal finish than the Boberg.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »
The Bond Bullpup doesn't require any grease because of a different metal finish than the Boberg.

It is a NP3 type coating.  I took the gun apart to look it over and you really don't even see it on the barrel and unlock block.

The Boberg was an up and running pistol when Bond bought them out.  It took over a year and a half for Bond to get back into production but it looks to me like they are doing things right.

Arne Boberg rushed the XR45 into production so he could get away from his wife.  It needed another year of development work I think.

Arne was a helluva Engineer though.  He built the prototype XR45 by hand and even made the magazine for it with a vise and hand tools.  The first magazine ran without a stoppage.  Arne was even shocked.  If you have ever looked at a Boberg, they're not just a gun, they are a machine.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »
Specifically, they used electroless nickel and teflon coating on both the barrel and unlock block. This also allowed the use of a wider range of ammo than the Boberg.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 05:03:26 PM »
I only used good self defense ammo and Winchester White Box in both the 9's and the 45's and never found anything that the Bobergs would not shoot and that was five different guns.  Remington, Winchester, Speer, and Federal all ran good.

The big problem was with Blazer and Federal's cheap red box stuff.  Those are plated bullets not jacketed bullets.  There is no way to crimp them.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »
Hoosier Armory has a Bond version for I THINK $1900.

MSRP is $1099.00

Bond was selling them direct for $977.00 and at the first of the year went to using distributors so they raised the price.  Street price should settle down to $1000.00 I would think.

Bond just ran a special selling them for $977 and throwing in 2 extra mags.  That is what I paid.

Obviously my memory was not correct as to the price. they usually sell list or a bit below. I didn't really pay attention because my R9's take care of pocket gun, CZ P-01 is my belt gun, and my Star BM's are car and range toys, just put 10 mags through one today without a hiccup. Accuracy is pretty good, 1-2 inch at 50 feet, and at $229 they are a lot of fun for the money, plus at that price I don't worry about scratches.  :)
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »

It is a NP3 type coating.  I took the gun apart to look it over and you really don't even see it on the barrel and unlock block.

The Boberg was an up and running pistol when Bond bought them out.  It took over a year and a half for Bond to get back into production but it looks to me like they are doing things right.

Arne Boberg rushed the XR45 into production so he could get away from his wife.  It needed another year of development work I think.

Arne was a helluva Engineer though.  He built the prototype XR45 by hand and even made the magazine for it with a vise and hand tools.  The first magazine ran without a stoppage.  Arne was even shocked.  If you have ever looked at a Boberg, they're not just a gun, they are a machine.

Look at what Sam Colt did in the 1830's with his wheel guns, Henry with the lever action in 1860, John Moses in the 1880's, Security Industries in the 1970's and the Rohrbaugh boys recently. The really gifted don't come along often and it's sad that competing against the mega bucks companies force so many of the little guys to fail. Not because of a inferior product but because of the almighty $$$$$$$$$$$ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:57 PM »
I just checked Hoosier Armory site. They list the Bond Patriot Defender at $1089 and have one in stock.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »
I think you mean the Bullpup.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 07:19:36 PM »

Man, I should sell mine.  The 45's are really not very good guns in my opinion.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/737915274

I have a Platinum XR9s, XR9L, XR45s, and a Platinum Bond.  It would make some rich guy a nice set maybe.   ;)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 08:09:03 PM »
This sounds like the greater fool symptom is alive and well.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »
Thought you Bond guys would like these blog pictures from SHOT show.

Thanks to the guys at TFB for posting this, you can find the thread here: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/28/thompson-machine-suppressors/

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
Thought you Bond guys would like these blog pictures from SHOT show.

Thanks to the guys at TFB for posting this, you can find the thread here: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/28/thompson-machine-suppressors/

Not really a Bond fan BUT I am a suppressor fan. That combination looks real good.Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Really wish someone would make a threaded barrel for the R9.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 06:40:20 PM »
A few clients had asked us to do that Kevin. The issue with that is there was no clearance to get the barrel into the slide with it extended for the screw-on suppressors. Sorry...............
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »
I wonder how they are working the suppressor with the Bullpup rotating barrel?

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
A few clients had asked us to do that Kevin. The issue with that is there was no clearance to get the barrel into the slide with it extended for the screw-on suppressors. Sorry...............

I LOVE crazy projects. I had a .22 Short Astra/Colt. The plan was to get a extra barrel, that I found, have it cut, welded together and threaded. My gunsmith was a bit shy about the idea so I got rid of it.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident