Author Topic: So the wait begins............(again)  (Read 4908 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: So the wait begins............(again)
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 05:57:58 PM »
Approved!!

In less than a month!  I am surprised at the speed compared to my other wait times, 29 days is awesome.

Got the email this afternoon and thought wow.

I did open the Walmart package today the fuel filter is a bit heavy and clunky.  However if it works, it works.

Got to get it engraved before I drill the hole and test it out.  I'm probably going to wait until the other order gets here and compare the two before I make a decision.

Made an offer to the original vendor to keep the two filters, $25 and be done with the thing.  I should hear something tomorrow morning from them.

Happy Stamp Day  ;D

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 09:47:12 PM »
Something like this would engrave aluminum like butter. Not pro-level, but you wouldn’t have to wait.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Engraver-3-Piece-1-speed-Corded-Amp-Multipurpose-Rotary-Tool-with-No-Case/999991746

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 09:49:44 PM »
Is it legal to engrave the info on the baffle? That would hide the home made engraving.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »
No and Yes PhilZ, pretty sure it's got to be visible. Saw a home laser engraver at a gun show, I what I can do with a electro-pencil, so that isn't an option for me.

I am waiting on the second delivery to determine which one I'll use, so I got some time. 

There is some areas of the baffle that are outside the tube, would be a legal area (from my understanding) to put it.  However, the area is small, not flat and I don't think I could do it legibly. 

Got a friend who knows a guy who does engraving out of his house, I'm going to check that out first.  If that doesn't work out I may think of a story that does not scream 'gun part' and go get it done in the mall at the engraving store.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:54:56 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 07:17:34 PM »
Still waiting to hook up with the engraver and theading maybe later this week or early next week.  Haven't even drilled the hole.

Finally scored some .22 LR yesterday.  Was in wallyworld and noticed a box on the floor behind the sporting goods counter.  Looked about the size for .22, but feared it was also the size of .410.  Asked a passing employee to check it out and it was a case of Federal 325 count boxes.  Having been to a gun show Sunday, I knew what they are going for, about $35 for that size.  He checked and said $17 and change, asked the limit, no limit, bought the case.  Came out to just shy $200.  Unlike most of their customers, I'll shoot it and not try to profit off my fellow enthusiast by selling it at a stupid markup. (not that there is anything wrong with our free market system)

Lesson, check around the counter and don't be afraid to ask.  I got lucky, got enough for about 10 range trips now without having to get into the emergency stash.

If you haven't been looking, gun shows, local gun trader sites, etc.  Ammo is available but expensive.  You can buy all you want for:  .300 BLK-$2 each, 9mm-$0.85 each, 556 green tip $1.50+ each, .22LR $50 a brick of 500.

Reason I stopped at so many places is I am hoping to find a beat-to-hell 10-22 cheap.  One that is rusted, stock busted and has rolled around the back floorboard of a pickup for the past 20 years. Just want the receiver and maybe the trigger housing.  Used to be able to find them fairly easily in that condition.  No more, did not see a single 10-22 for sale, except a new one at Academy.  I did see one TC clone for over $500.  Shaking my head at what is going on.

Primers are like unicorns these days, heard rumors they exist but haven't seen any.

Drove to central Texas (Temple) and stopped by about 10 gun stores and pawn shops on the way.  If they have ammo, they have the same high prices.  So no luck thinking things are better in the country.  Most gun store employees are frustrated with this.  Gun inventory is wiped out.  Saw a Daisy VL in the wild today.  Store owner said he had only seen two in his lifetime and wanted $400 for it, had 500 rounds of ammo for sale at $12 a box.  Not interested in it as I have pair and plenty of ammo.  Just strange to see one.

Hunting rifles and shotguns are plentiful, and not being horded it seems.

Good luck everyone and have a peaceful Thanksgiving.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 09:16:31 PM »
One good thing about Academy is that they stick to their "guns" and don't jack up prices to gouge their customers. For example, I picked up a Lone Wolf Glock 19 compact frame from them as an FFL. While I was waiting a customer pointed out that they had some 5.56 green tip for $10 for a 20 round box. Needless to say, I bought a few boxes. It was probably gone the same day because ammo news travels fast.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:36:49 PM by tracker »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 06:21:25 PM »
Beautiful day at the range.  Light windbreaker was all I needed to deal with a bit of wind.

Got the tube engraved earlier this week, set me back $60.  May explore cheaper alternatives next time, a bit more than expected.

Drilled about a .35 caliber hole in the end and it was ready to go.

Got time this afternoon to hit an outdoor range in Cleveland TX and check it out.

Rifle and sound suppressor both performed great.  The can is bigger than the factory Gem-tech I normally use.  Weight did not bother me at all.  The extra size added volume inside and I think this was a major factor in keeping it cool.  Even after firing about 100 rounds through it pretty quickly it was still cool enough to handle.

In the video below I shot 5 Remington subsonic .22 LRs out of it followed by some supersonic Federal rounds.

Damage, $200 stamp + $25 for the fingerprints to Uncle Sam.
Parts came in at <$100 including the engraving.

I'm happy with it.  In fact I'll order another fuel filter soon.  No need for hearing protection with this set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef_eKArCJyk&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:23:12 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
And the wait begins again.

Submitted a new Form 1 today for a 9mm can to go on an AR pistol.

Hopefully this will go as fast as the previous one.

Got an request for an appointment for fingerprints set up.  Maybe next week, only got 10 working days to get that done.

Was about to start a new thread on an ugly duckling build I am finishing up.  However small strong springs and detents will foil your best laid plans.  Somewhere in my garage is a trigger detent for a Ruger 10-22.  >:(

Well a replacement will be in sometime next week or so and since I ordered two, maybe I can get this thing together finally.

This will probably be one of those things that gets me a scolding by the range officer at my favorite range.  Oh, well he should only hear the rapid ringing of the steel and nothing else.  I'll toss up a thread when I get some videos of it working.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »
And the wait ends.  Happy stamp day!.

Got the approval today, June 25.

That is 33 days from submitting the email with the paperwork attached approved.

Next step is getting the tube engraved, drilling the holes and then figuring out how to mount it on the pistol.

Issue with the pistol is that the barrel stops a couple of inches inside the handguard.  Unique charging handle is on the handguard, so I can't cut it down.  Got to disassemble it and figure out what length of barrel I need to buy to replace the short one, or come up with an adapter to make it work.  Leaning toward new barrel.