Author Topic: Re: fs rohrbaugh R9S  (Read 14206 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: fs rohrbaugh R9S
« on: June 17, 2005, 04:49:15 PM »
Welcome - which I don't think I have said yet :)

May one inquire the reason for sale - how late or early is the model (colors etc).?  I have 2 so not looking to buy (another!! ::) :P ) - but I think folks would appreciate some extra info - might help you better.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 07:40:56 PM »
Thx m_g - I reckon that should help a lot. :)

I should not have 2 really - but my #1 was a very early one and I want to preserve it - #2 being the carry pup!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 11:23:14 PM »
Moonlight,

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you will stick around and participate.

You may have trouble selling a "used" (unfired, I know) gun at more than new MSRP though...  Good luck with it.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline TW

• Grand Master
fs rohrbaugh R9S
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 02:12:54 PM »
Moonlight,

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you will stick around and participate.

You may have trouble selling a "used" (unfired, I know) gun at more than new MSRP though...  Good luck with it.

>>The $1175 price which Moonlight is asking for his R9 comes out to about a 17.5% increase over the old retail value (~$1000) on a new gun...which is not so out of line with the price increase Eric discussed with me a few months ago.  I am curious to know what Moonlight and others have paid for new guns in the last two months - perhaps $1175 IS the new price...??

Also...I would call Moonlight's gun "NIB"...or at least "LNIB"...given it has never been fired outside of the factory.  It certainly isn't "used" by my standards...unless it turns into a new car bought and taken off lot...which seems to devalue at least $1K on a $20K car these days.  My point here being - I would comfortably pay full retail price on an R9 (whatever that is these days) if I was confident it was in fact NIB...never fired...but then maybe that's just me.  But then I don't need a #2 R9 cause onna counta I already have one...!!  Of course neither of mine says "Deer Park" on the slide...hmmmm.  LOL...!...TW<<

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 04:59:25 PM »
Cars, houses, guns or horses....the answer to "what's it worth?" is always the same:   "Whatever somebody is willing AND able to pay for it"

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 08:21:34 PM »
moonlight: my local dealer is selling brand new R9 for $960 and I bought one from him before at that price (he's got 1 left as of today.) I am sure I could haggle him down for a few more bucks but he needs to bring home the bacon, too. Logical is right, supply and demand will dictate the market. Good luck.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 11:18:57 PM »
I think Moonlight's price is acceptable for someone who does not want to wait for over 6 months - and with the price increase there won't be much difference.  There is a old term from my college class in economics years ago  called  "opportunity cost".  It means what is your time worth to you in dollars.  

I just ordered a R9S from the Tom the IrishGuard last week.  Since he did this order a while ago before the increase the cost is the old price and I should receive the gun late August or early September.   I'm not in a hurry and think it is important to support a forum member when possible, so two to three months is very acceptable to me.  But I'll tell you that if I had to wait as long as some have waited I would pay a few hundred more to get the gun without thinking long about it, if I could afford to do so.  

It seems that Moonlight is just trying to break even.  I am even surprised it is still there.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline moonlight_graham

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 12:21:16 AM »
I thank all of you for your support, I tried to be honest and open about the gun. I am withdrawing it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 12:30:33 AM by moonlight_graham »

Offline TW

• Grand Master
fs rohrbaugh R9S
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 12:47:48 AM »
I thank all of you for your support, I tried to be honest and open about the gun. I am withdrawing it.

>>Moonlight...  Wait, wait...!!  Why on earth are you now withdrawing your R9 from the classifides...??  I don't think anyone here has said anything negative about the price...just raised a question or two...which we do a lot of around here - not to be mean...we just like to learn things, ya know...?...!!...TW<<

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 10:16:57 AM »
Moonlight,

Were you offended by my comments?

I welcomed you to the forum, and it was sincere.  I would point out that in many forums when your first post is an attempt to sell an item, it would be viewed as a breach of forum ettiquite.  A free place to sell items is generally considered a perk of active membership.  Under the circumstances, however, I assumed you were probably a lurker and didn't express any offense--just a hope that you would participate in the future.

I also pointed out that this was a high price in my opinion, based upon other sales here on the board and knowledge of recent dealer sales.  Others rushed to your defense and took issue with my comments -- perhaps my comments reflected my own warped perspective.  And frankly, I have never had much luck selling NIB guns at near dealer prices -- everyone wants a deal. But, I never insinuated that you were trying to make a profit or were not being honest.  

I also note that people are more likely to pay premium prices from dealers rather than from individuals -- for whatever piece of mind that provides them.

If you were offended, I apologize.  I will keep my comments about sale items to myself in the future.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 10:18:44 AM »
Since posting this, I see that the original post has been deleted, which makes this whole discussion pretty hard to follow.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
fs rohrbaugh R9S
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 11:30:31 AM »
Since posting this, I see that the original post has been deleted, which makes this whole discussion pretty hard to follow.

>>Duane is right...with the original post from Moonlight of a brand new R9 for sale at $1175 + $25 shipping having now been deleted - it is (or WAS) hard to follow.  However...I just changed all that because I believe it was a legit, appropriate post and there is a good chance someone here on the forum might be interested in that gun...!...price being a relative thing to be worked out between a seller and buyer...and something we have yet to learn about, as in - what is the current or new price retail, anyway...?...not that Moonlight couldn't ask whatever he wants for his gun.  So...now I'm stymied...  

Tom...  As an R9 dealer do you happen to know what, if anything, has changed on suggested retail prices for the R9?  I know your current order was placed some time ago...but I should think you might hear of such things...yes...?...no...??

Guns and prices all aside...and to Moonlight I say this...backing up what Duane has just said to you...  I'm sure we would all like a chance to get to know you, and hear your inputs about R9s and life in general...as we tend to value that sort of thing around here.  So I hope you will make your presence known, if not here in the classifieds - then elsewhere on the forum...!...ya know...?...!!...TW<<

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 02:41:55 PM »
TW, I think the new price will be about $1050.
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline moonlight_graham

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 09:56:40 AM »
DDgGator, I accept your apology. I really wasn't offended, because I know you were just protecting the forum and doing what you thought was best. I wish you had addressed the issues with me in a private message first.

I will hang around because I have 2 R9's and it is a great source of information, and I enjoy reading the comments and experiences people have shooting guns. I do more shooting with cowboy guns myself, I belong to SASS and enjoy it, but I like to keep in touch with information on guns for personal defense.

So, thanks to everyone for the welcome and I will be around, doing more reading than posting, but still enjoying it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 11:17:22 AM by moonlight_graham »

Offline TW

• Grand Master
fs rohrbaugh R9S
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 01:45:06 PM »
>>Moonlight...  I'm glad to hear you will stick around and hope you will add in a thought or two from time to time...as in - would be nice to learn of your experiences with the R9.  Although I have never participated in a Cowboy shoot I have watched them with fascination.  I just don't need another hobby/interest in my life at the moment.  That said...I did recently pick up a Bond Cowboy Derringer in Colt .45/.410, and have wondered what THAT discipline might be like...

Tom - thanks for the retail price update on the R9.  From the consumer standpoint I the 5% increase is more than fair...although frankly I would have expected more like 10% at least.  When I saw Eric at the recent PA shoot he was talking of a soon-to-be goal of putting out 50 guns a week.  Perhaps the R Brothers figure they can make things work OK with more quantity rather than more asking price...?...  Whatever...  I just hope they keep a price for the .380 similar to that of the R9 when it eventually comes out...!  **speakith the Consumer-Guy once again**...lol...TW<<