Author Topic: Ammo choices for R9s?  (Read 4628 times)

Offline FALLEN77

Ammo choices for R9s?
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:46:36 PM »
Hi, I'm a proud new R9s stealth owner and new to this forum. I was lucky enough to find one of these on calguns.net last week for a very fair price considering people pay over $1000 for a Glock 43 out here. (I have one too but paid closer to $450) I have a couple day before I can pick up my new Rohrbaugh and the wait is killing me.

I purchased 2 50/rd boxes of Gold Dot 124gr for about $25/box because it is the recommended ammo for these guns. However, I have seen some ballistic testing on these vs other ammo in short barreled pocket pistols and it looks like there are a lot better performers than the Gold Dots in standard pressures. One of the best performers out of a 3" barrel was Federal HST. Does anybody out there have any feedback on alternative ammo to the gold dots that have proven to have equal or better reliability as well as better ballistic performance?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Ammo choices for R9s?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »
No, but I switched to HST.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »
I too like HST, but have a good supply of Gold Dots as well.  A good practice ammo is Federal Lawman.  My R9 will do well with 147 and 115 gr. Ammo but prefers 124.  Welcome to the forum!
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline FALLEN77

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »
Thanks for both of your replies. I'm leaning towards the HST 124gr as my choice for carry once I burn thru the Gold Dots but I wanted to be sure that it runs reliably thru the R9. It sounds like it does but of course I will have to pass quite a few thru before I know I can trust it. As far as practice ammo goes, I've got a few hundred rounds of federal champion 115gr fmj that I can try as well as a few hundred 124gr American Quality Ammunition brand which runs flawlessly in the Glock 43 but I don't expect the Rohrbaugh to like it. Thanks again for your help.

Also, I have a Recluse OS plus wallet holster on the way. Not sure if I will like it but I definitely want to pocket carry. Any experience with that? It has the extra mag pocket which doesn't make a lot of sense being that it's in the same pocket so mag changes would be impossible without switching hands but I really wanted it so I can keep my mags with the gun when I take it out at home or in the car since I have a tendency to misplace things. I will keep my spare magazine in my opposite side pocket while I'm carrying. If you have other recommendations for pocket carry I'm open to suggestions.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:58:59 PM »
Hst 124 runs like a champ in mine.....also hornady cd works well in mine....the only ammo so far that it's hate is rip ammo..lol.  But had to give it a try..

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 09:02:45 AM »
I have not tried this ammo yet, but the tests look very promising.  I did order some 9mm +P for my Solo to try.

Scroll down and hit the video tab.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-90-grain-xtreme-defender/

Offline FALLEN77

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 12:45:35 AM »
I am a big fan of the underwood extreme defender ammo for some of my other guns but I'm not sure if i want to try it in the R9 without some other positive feedback from forum members because it's a solid projectile and hot. Great stuff though and I carry it in my G43 and it runs perfectly. I will try the HST's or Hornadys too. Thanks for your recommendations.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:49:04 AM »
I am a big fan of the underwood extreme defender ammo for some of my other guns but I'm not sure if i want to try it in the R9 without some other positive feedback from forum members because it's a solid projectile and hot. Great stuff though and I carry it in my G43 and it runs perfectly. I will try the HST's or Hornadys too. Thanks for your recommendations.

I certainly agree that one would have to try it first.  If you are running standard pressure in your Glock, why not give it a try in the Rohrbaugh.  I know that light bullets can cause troubles.

These profiled solid bullets make a lot of sense for short barreled self defense pistols.  Not relying on expansion to generate a wound cavitity gives the bullet a much wider velocity range to be effective in. 

I am anxious to try them in a Solo, but I do not know if 90 grains will cycle the action, even with +P.

Offline FALLEN77

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:33:40 PM »
Very good points. I will get some of the standard pressure stuff on my next purchase and report back. Yesterday I broke in the R9 at my local range. Ran 50 124gr gold dots without a hitch so i tried some cheaper Federal champion 115gr which ran a few mags before getting an FTE. I ran a couple more mags and had one more FTE so I stopped and ran another 38 gold dots which were again flawless so I saved the last 12 to carry. Total shots fired was about 125-150.

The gun was surprisingly accurate when I actually tried to aim it but it sure is a beast to hold on to. I made it a point to shoot each mag without adjusting my grip between shots because every video I've seen on YouTube showed the shooter having to regroup between shots. I was able to do this fine but I think a pinky extension would have helped.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 05:04:36 PM »
Get a pinky extension for sure!  Also VZ grips often help...a little more to hold on to.  For me, at least, trying to aim to the X and stage the trigger is a disaster.  I am much better with a point and pull movement in 3 or more quick bursts from 10 yards in (but MUCH better inside 7 yards).  If I am firing more than 3 or 4 magazines in practice, I wear a shooting glove rather than "training in" a flinch reflex from finger damage.  This is still the absolute best small 9 for carry IMO.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 08:32:15 AM »

For the record:  Karl R. has been carrying his recently acquired Glock 43 also. 
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.