Author Topic: Hope everone enjoyed Independence Day Weekend this year, we did.  (Read 2671 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Three of us did and I got to introduce the R9 to the younger generation.

The young man knew that I carry a small handgun in my pocket, but did not know much about it.  Being the son of a recently deceased LEO, he has a strong background in firearms.  Well three of us went to our property in the woods for some much needed maintenance after the storms earlier this summer and decided to make it more than just work. 

He asked about the Rohrbaugh, and I was happy to oblige.  Changed out the carry ammo for the only other 9mm we had, Tula 115 gr.  He was able to get a few rounds out before it hung up.  After the first magazine he was satisfied.  Tom was able to consistently hit a 4 inch section of exposed log in the pond from about 20 feet.  I think that is pretty good.  I got of video of it, but photobucket is not my friend on this one, working on it.

Real proud of him.  A lot of high school kids would rather sit at home and play video games in the AC than go out in stifling heat (heat index 110+), cut trees off roads, fill in washed out areas by hand, etc.  Plus he did it twice, as we did not get the work completed the first day and had to go back a second.

Reward was getting to shoot his AR and XD-9 and a few other things we brought, and a couple good meals.  Few pounds of a homemade reactive target mix helped push this to another level.  Waiting for him to send me some more videos from his phone.  Got a good one of him shooting a .30 carbine for the first time and setting one of them off.

And yes, he wants to go back as soon as possible and get some more training on the chain saw.  That I will be happy to let him have, all he wants  ;D

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Hope everone enjoyed Independence Day Weekend this year, we did.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 08:11:58 PM »
Ok, here is the R9 video.  We are going to talk about that off hand index finger on the trigger guard.  Did not see that when he was shooting, too busy with his phone and watching impact points.

http://vid494.photobucket.com/albums/rr301/300Acera/East%20Texas/IMG_3451_zpszw3ogxgx.mp4

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
That offhand index finger position he has is not the worst thing in the world. That is actually something we did decades ago! He looked confident and when he had a jam, he kept his finger off the trigger and stayed "cool", kept the firearm in a safe direction and proceeded to investigate what the issue was. He has a bright future in shooting. Good instruction at this age is paramount. . . . Good on you for showing him how it's done correctly. That's nice to see Michael.   ;-)

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »

Where do you live, Mike?

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »
Thanks ECR, he is a good kid.  Doing what I can, his father was my best friend, so......................

tracker, we live in the Houston area.  The picture was taken in the woods of East Texas west of Lufkin.