Author Topic: Engraved R9  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Alkeford

Engraved R9
« on: July 19, 2021, 12:33:58 PM »
Picked this up at a gun show. Was dedicated too Major Mike Farrell. Has a weird serial number 7-SFGA. Engraved SS slide black lower. Does anyone know anything about it. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Engraved R9
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 09:30:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum Alkeford,

Can't answer your question, but someone will be along shortly that can.

Show us some pictures of your new acquisition.

Offline Alkeford

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 10:32:18 PM »
Pics

Offline Alkeford

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 10:33:02 PM »
Pic

Offline Alkeford

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 10:33:35 PM »
P

Offline Alkeford

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 10:34:14 PM »
Pic

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 11:46:56 PM »
Major Michael Farrell was Retired Special Forces U.S. Army who died on January 21, 2021. 7-SFGA refers to the 7th Special Forces Group Army which served early in Vietnam and Laos. Later, they served in Central and South America.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 08:13:11 AM by tracker »

Offline Alkeford

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 08:35:44 AM »
 Thank you I have one of his books that came with the pistol. It's really Kool they serial number it to him thanks again.
Major Michael Farrell was Retired Special Forces U.S. Army who died on January 21, 2021. 7-SFGA refers to the 7th Special Forces Group Army which served early in Vietnam and Laos. Later, they served in Central and South America.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 08:51:42 AM »
Thanks Tracker.  I could swear I know the Major’s name from somewhere, but can’t remember where.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »
No doubt Karl has more information on the history of this "Special" R9.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 01:05:12 PM »
There is another Mike Farrell who is an actor. He played in M.A.S.H. in the '70s and '80s and other programs in the '90s.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 05:07:27 PM »
Dang!  That is where I heard the name.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 07:23:13 PM »
There is another Mike Farrell who is an actor. He played in M.A.S.H. in the '70s and '80s and other programs in the '90s.

If it were that Mike Farrell I would expect the serial number to be 4077.

8)

Alkeford, Nice pictures of a nice firearm.  Thanks for posting those for us.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 09:42:25 PM »
Hey Guys, just seeing this now. That was a fun gun to do!

This was one of a mear handful of R9 pistols we had sent out for hand engraving work. This one was done by a fellow in South Carolina I believe. I'll have to ask Karl tomorrow. I'm sure he will remember the engraver's name. I'll post his name soon.

The frame and all parts for this build were hand-picked and fitted. After the parts were finalized, it went out for engraving work. Upon return of the engraved parts, we reassembled the pistol, test-fired it and off it went to the Major. The personal serial number was an option we offered to anyone for an additional upcharge. I do recall the engraving alone was somewhere around $750 our cost alone at that time! I think it was somewhere around 2006 - 2009 or so. Beautifully tasteful work he did on this engraving.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Alkeford

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 01:07:48 PM »
 Thanks  ECR is there any way I could get a letter of prominence signed by you and Karl ?  I would gladly pay pay for the privilege.

Hey Guys, just seeing this now. That was a fun gun to do!

This was one of a mear handful of R9 pistols we had sent out for hand engraving work. This one was done by a fellow in South Carolina I believe. I'll have to ask Karl tomorrow. I'm sure he will remember the engraver's name. I'll post his name soon.

The frame and all parts for this build were hand-picked and fitted. After the parts were finalized, it went out for engraving work. Upon return of the engraved parts, we reassembled the pistol, test-fired it and off it went to the Major. The personal serial number was an option we offered to anyone for an additional upcharge. I do recall the engraving alone was somewhere around $750 our cost alone at that time! I think it was somewhere around 2006 - 2009 or so. Beautifully tasteful work he did on this engraving.