Author Topic: Help please  (Read 8318 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Re: Help please
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »

Jack,

Use them before it becomes a problem, not after. An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure in this case.

Changed out the scews.....on the new style grip they were fine.............on the old style carbon fiber they do not seat flush on the muzzle end...?     :-\
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »

That must be a local problem; they seated fine on my old CF grips. Whatever the case I would change out the factory screws before dissimilar corrosion sets in and the screws fail.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »

Jack,

Use them before it becomes a problem, not after. An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure in this case.

Changed out the scews.....on the new style grip they were fine.............on the old style carbon fiber they do not seat flush on the muzzle end...?     :-\

I think I would select a drill bit of the exact size of the screw head and gently -- gently -- extract just enough CF material out of the concave seat to achieve a flush fit. A Dremel rotary tool might help to provide the precision needed.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »

Jack,

I think I would select a drill bit of the exact size of the screw head and gently -- gently -- extract just enough CF material out of the concave seat to achieve a flush fit. A Dremel rotary tool might help to provide the precision needed.

Negative............. :o
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »
Turnaround time was 6 workdays.  I will call Maria in the morning about shipping it back again and will try  to find out what they found.  I have already put the left side VZ's on and will now have to remove them (put locktite blue on them dangit!) to put the old grip on.  At least I was replacing the grip screws with John's, so it should be easier.  I agree with all the comments above....I really love the look and the feel of the R9, and the way it shoots, but I'm getting more than a little fed up now!  Carrying a Seecamp and liking it a lot but sure wish it was a 9.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
I had to remove 2 screws with a grabbit tool from the gun I got my Black CF grips off and one one screw after that for my son in law from his pup. Works real good. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 11:49:31 PM »

Jack,

I had a new set of stainless screws I put in. The old set was in there eight years. Under magnification you see they were starting to round off. I'll just put a new stainless set in every second spring change.
NRA Life Member

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »
I had to remove 2 screws with a grabbit tool from the gun I got my Black CF grips off and one one screw after that for my son in law from his pup. Works real good. ;D

What is a grabbit tool?  ?picture...?  Will it work with a stripped hex head (my hex wrenches are top quality, it was just the screw head that stripped).  Calling Maria when they open up this a.m.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »

What is a grabbit tool?  ?picture...?  Will it work with a stripped hex head (my hex wrenches are top quality, it was just the screw head that stripped).  Calling Maria when they open up this a.m.

Sonething like this would work....http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952155000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
NRA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 11:02:16 AM »

John:

Here is a link to a photograph of a Grabit tool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-Grabit-Power-Screw-Extractor-Set-8530P-/370584691395?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D370575716627%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6232736608334033764

The Craftsman tool at Jack's link also works for the purpose.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline deercop

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »
Put the removed screws back in, with the factory grips (or I guess you could do it as is), and go to the range and shoot the gun.  When my gun came back from the factory a month or so ago, less than 50 rounds broke the factory-installed loctite free on both forward screws.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »
Put the removed screws back in, with the factory grips (or I guess you could do it as is), and go to the range and shoot the gun.  When my gun came back from the factory a month or so ago, less than 50 rounds broke the factory-installed loctite free on both forward screws.
That was my plan also, but I had left a call back at Maria's number to get info on what was done to my gun.  It is on the way back (Karl called).  See my next post "HELP updated."

Thanks for all the help guys.  Never heard of a grabbit before (I mostly use tools for taking things out of people, not machines).  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis