Author Topic: Help please  (Read 8399 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Help please
« on: February 09, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »
R9 Covert arrived from Rohrbaugh after being sent back for issues with not returning to battery.   Arrived UPS about an hour ago...no explanation of what was done of course.  I had, as instructed, replaced my VZ grips with the originals before shipping back to them.  I tried to put the VZ's back on and 3 of the screws came out, albeit with some effort and a white substance on the screw threads, but the forward one on the right side will not move even with heat from a pencil type soldering iron...the damn screw has now been stripped and I can't get it to move.  The guns come from them with screws that fall out after firing 50 rounds, but now they cement the dang things in!
What next...go to a gunsmith?  send it back?  I assume the screw will have to be bored out, but I really don't want to have it done by someone who hasn't a clue what they are doing.  Advice appreciated!  John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:17:45 PM »
This one should be on their nickel; just call them and relate the facts. I would not touch it or have someone bore it out.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:25:01 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:32:44 PM »
What tracker said.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:47:16 PM »
John,

It should go back to them ASAP. Like you, I would like to know what they did to the pistol. I would also like to know what product they put on the screws. I have not seen a "white" color product used on screws. I thought "Loctite" was the big product but that could be a regional thing.

Good luck and hang in there! Oh, what was their turn around time on the return?

Robar233

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »
Sorry to hear about your experience. I would call Maria to get it rectified.
I am sure they will take care of it in a timely Manor.

I have always used a HUDY precision Allen wrench since the first time I stripped out a grip screw. I was able to get the stripped screw out with a torx bit however. I purchased it from A Main Hobby online, I forget the Allen size.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »
Backup,

Sorry to hear about your problems, and there would be nothing more frustrating than back to back trips to the factory. Hopefully they take good care of you. I would be interested to learn what was stopping it from returning to battery if you ever get that info. Keep us posted.

-Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
Sorry to hear about your experience. I would call Maria to get it rectified.
I am sure they will take care of it in a timely Manor.

I have always used a HUDY precision Allen wrench since the first time I stripped out a grip screw. I was able to get the stripped screw out with a torx bit however. I purchased it from A Main Hobby online, I forget the Allen size.

size.....my hex allen is 1/16 in..............1.5875mm
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »

I bought a Hudy also but the driver is not the problem; it has always been the factory screws that caused the difficulty, apparently compounded in this case by some overzealous loctite treatment. This is a weak link that should have been addressed long ago by the factory.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 08:50:17 PM »

I bought a Hudy also but the driver is not the problem; it has always been the factory screws that caused the difficulty, apparently compounded in this case by some overzealous loctite treatment. This is a weak link that should have been addressed long ago by the factory.

Do you think a 1911 style bushing system would work?
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:56:04 PM »

John solved the problem for me with his excellent alloy screws; this is funny paper simple stuff and should not require an exotic solution but anything would be better than the status quo.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:48 PM »
Do you think a 1911 style bushing system would work?

I don't know but someone has to solve this problem. These are $1k guns with a critical flaw caused by a $0.10 part. Unfortunately I dont have any great ideas :(
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »

John solved the problem for me with his excellent alloy screws; this is funny paper simple stuff and should not require an exotic solution but anything would be better than the status quo.

I purchased a bunch of screws from John........have not had to use them yet......... :-\....I'm glad I haven't...usually any problems show up in my things first ::)
NRA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »

Jack,

Use them before it becomes a problem, not after. An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure in this case.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »

Jack,

Use them before it becomes a problem, not after. An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure in this case.

Roger that............... ;)
NRA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 09:16:59 PM »
Early on, I removed a stripped screw with a small Alden Grabit Power Screw Extractor set in a power drill set on slow reverse. I believe Sears sells them, or they are available on the Internet. Here's a listing on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-Grabit-Power-Screw-Extractor-Set-8530P-/370575716627?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D280817533580%26ps%3D54
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:20:45 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"