Author Topic: R380 Shooting High  (Read 10567 times)

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: R380 Shooting High
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
I am glad to hear the R380 is back in action! :D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »
LAnce,
    Glad the POI is closer to the POA.  :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 04:27:18 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »
I see that you mentioned brands of ammo but not bullet weight.

Try shooting the lightest bullet you can find and you see point of impact drop.

ps - the exception of course would be Cor-Bon, they run hot and loud, so recoil will still be stout and flinching with noise.
May work for a man, could be difficult for a female.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »

Was ist das?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 11:16:47 PM »
I dunno!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lancesnarr

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »
Been traveling and busy and haven't kept up with the forum lately.  But, I went shooting in the desert with some friends the other day and, amongst other firearms, took my wife's R380.  It was shooting higher than I liked.

So, I took it to a proper range yesterday and benched it up.  With PNC and Hornady Critical Defense it shoots 2 1/4 inches high at 10 feet.  Horizontal plane is accurate.

Although this is a lot better than the 6" high that it was shooting before returning it to the factory for adjustment, I would like to have the rear sights milled to bring it closer to POA.  

I'm torn, as it is a pup and I don't expect the kind of accuracy that a full size handgun should deliver, BUT, my R9 is dead on, vertical and horizontal, at 10'.  In fact, my R9 is surprisingly accurate for such a small handgun.

Any thoughts?  Am I being too picky?  

Regarding weights and ammo types, at 10' it seems to group the same regardless of brand or weight.  I suppose the important thing is where it groups with what I load it for carry purposes (or in this case, for my wife to carry), and that is Hornady Critical Defense.  

Decisions!  Decisions!

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »
A couple of ways to look at this.

One, the R380 is an up close and personal pistol, so two inches ain't worth beans at 10 feet in 1.5 seconds with all of the excitement and all.  At least for most folks.

Two, if this issue really sticks in your craw and you feel you must alter the rear sights, you do not have to mill them.  That is a lot of money.    Just put masking tape all around and area of the rear sights(basically the whole slide except the rear sights) and slowing file a stroke and test it out.  It does not take much to get your adjustment.  
Keep telling yourself, "you can't put it back", so take your time with the file and be patient.

Three - tell your wife to shoot like many men shot their 44's and 45's in the old west.  Aim for the groin or stomach, you'll probably shoot high due to recoil and follow up shots will be high as well which means after a few shots the  threat will be stopped.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:29:18 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE