Author Topic: Best 9mm To Carry  (Read 11521 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Best 9mm To Carry
« on: February 03, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »
I recently joined a local firearms enthusiasts group and the topic that is always the most heated is " Which  QUALITY 9mm is the best one to carry?". I feel that the R9 is a great gun, and it will always be a great gun...but, I think that the time has come to appreciate them more than use and fire them. ( JMO JoshA). I was no longer comfortable putting my existence in the hands of my R9, and I have sold off the Safe Queens. I am carrying a FNS 9mm Compact or a Sig 1911 Ultra .45 (3" barrel). But that 9mm question seems to haunt everyone. I know 2 guys that have sold their R9s and replaced them with Kimber Solo CDPs. Small, Stealthlike and have gotten a lot better over time. Notice above I used the word QUALITY. To me, that rules out all the lightweight low cost pocket pistols. So, what's left?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Best 9mm To Carry
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:44:11 PM »
I recently joined a local firearms enthusiasts group and the topic that is always the most heated is " Which  QUALITY 9mm is the best one to carry?". I feel that the R9 is a great gun, and it will always be a great gun...but, I think that the time has come to appreciate them more than use and fire them. ( JMO JoshA). I was no longer comfortable putting my existence in the hands of my R9, and I have sold off the Safe Queens. I am carrying a FNS 9mm Compact or a Sig 1911 Ultra .45 (3" barrel). But that 9mm question seems to haunt everyone. I know 2 guys that have sold their R9s and replaced them with Kimber Solo CDPs. Small, Stealthlike and have gotten a lot better over time. Notice above I used the word QUALITY. To me, that rules out all the lightweight low cost pocket pistols. So, what's left?

I have no problem at all with your opinion carga, nor do I think anyone else here does either. Some people probably really don't even NEED to carry and are armed to the teeth with a R9 in the pocket.

Most of us have lots of different guns for lots of different applications. The R9 is a class act that when reliable (underscore and highlight) it is a formidable, pocketable fire-breathing dragon.

The solo is great if you want small, but a bit too big for my pocket typically.

Then there is of course the poly framed single stack - XDS, shield and Walther pps (nice pistol IMO)

Then move to G26 H&k p 2000 SK

Then metal framed 9s. 239 is a nice gun, but heavy and single stack.

Then double stack poly and aluminum. Lots of choices here. Too many to cover really.

Those are the ones I consider anyway. I'm sure there are more exotic guns out there.

For me I look at what gives the most results for the lightest weight. For instance the Kimber solo, Glock 26 and 19 are awesome deliverers. When I move up to heavier guns I want them to help mitigate some recoil. Like the sig 239 In .357 sig or the .45 Kimber ultra carry II. That's a heavy gun for me to carry, but I'm a wuss.

The R9 is going to be an ankle or pocket carry for me when the shirt is tucked and I don't feel like I can go IWB.

But if I lived in the mountains and the people were all friendly or far enough in the sticks when I didn't see people much or I was shuffle boarding  every day and my biggest fear was someone cutting in line I would probably only pocket carry. Why not?

That being what it is, I am probably looking to get a G 29 next. Not really a pocket pistol : )

Like  carga I would like to hear of what other quality 9mm's you guys appreciate to add to my bucket list.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »

The one you guys are looking for is still on the drawing board but it will appear one of these days.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:08:46 AM »
The Glock 42 in 380 is still selling like crazy.

When the Glock single stack 9mm (I assume G43) comes out at the NRA Meeting in April, that is all we will hear about.  I really think it will be a clone of the PM9 but the Glock name sells.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:19:25 AM »

When the Glock single stack 9mm (I assume G43) comes out at the NRA Meeting in April, that is all we will hear about.  I really think it will be a clone of the PM9 but the Glock name sells.
i agree with the g43 being the hot seller....i just hope it is more reliable than the kahr i bough.....TOTAL GARBAGE...SENT BACK TO KAHR AND THEY COULDNT EVEN GET IT RIGHT......althought it was the cw380 model...i just couldnt buy another kahr....i love my rohrbaugh and it has functioned flawless....so it will stay in pocket.....a close second would be a sig p938...it also rides good in the front pocket....but the little pup is just a beast......LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT......other than i cant afford to buy them all up.... :'(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:22:39 AM by tattoo »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »

The one you guys are looking for is still on the drawing board but it will appear one of these days.

And then it will be passé and we will look for another perfect one right?

I am looking forward to the G43 or whatever they will call it, except I hate carrying sore Glock mags because they are so thick. Even the single stack 36 mag is huge compared to a 1911 or Kahr or Springfield mag.

I've not been ecstatic about my Kahr's reliability either.

Very few light and small pistols are über reliable it seems.

Glock has a leg up with its minimal parts requirements, but that thick slide is a lot of weight.

Hope to see it soon and shoot one.

I don't think Norm will settle for a Glock though. Get a browning hi power Norman.

What about the H&k VP9 or the H&K P7 or the new sig compact 1911 in 9mm? You could probably get a shweet companion for the 45 ultra Ya got.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:01:42 AM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 08:43:13 AM »
If I got the Browning I would need a hand truck to carry it. Weighs over 2 lbs!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 08:49:43 AM »
Nobody mentioned the Beretta Nano. Anyone have any experiences with it?

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 08:56:37 AM »

i agree with the g43 being the hot seller....i just hope it is more reliable than the kahr i bough.....TOTAL GARBAGE...SENT BACK TO KAHR AND THEY COULDNT EVEN GET IT RIGHT......althought it was the cw380 model...i just couldnt buy another kahr....i love my rohrbaugh and it has functioned flawless....so it will stay in pocket.....a close second would be a sig p938...it also rides good in the front pocket....but the little pup is just a beast......LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT......other than i can afford to buy them all up.... :'(

I have had nothing but good luck with Kahr.  I have a P40, PM9, and P380 and all have been flawless.  I keep buying new things, but if I would have stuck with the PM9 6 years ago I would still be happy.

The 938, I do not want a single action in my pocket.

True, the R9 carries like a 380.   I took my R9, my PM9, my Solo, and my XR9 all to the range to test accuracy and accuracy with speed.  The R9 came in 4th.  I do not carry a pistol for comfort or prestige, I carry for protection. 

The R9 is probably the best possible backup available, but expensive.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:03:55 AM »
What about the H&k VP9 or the H&K P7 or the new sig compact 1911 in 9mm? You could probably get a shweet companion for the 45 ultra Ya got.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 04:05:52 PM »
Nobody mentioned the Beretta Nano. Anyone have any experiences with it?

I'm not sure if it was a pico or nano I held for the first time today, but I didn't care for the safety or the general look of it in the hand. They look cool in the magazines, but in the hand it was ugly TO ME. No real experience though.

the one gun that did kinda strike me as ok is the new Springfield XDG I think it was. If you weren't into Glock it's ok IMO. Pointed naturally, good rep for reliability and customer service. If you like Glocks I don't see a reason to add one to the mix though. A bit heavier and it looks like a higher bore axis.

Not sure if this is interesting to you or not, but I just got off the phone with sig to get some details and they are going to release the ultra compact like the one you have in 9mm in a couple months. Just an FYI if it's not interesting.

Are you looking for something smaller carga?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:17:20 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »
I'm looking for the impossible...another gun as sexy as the R9, built as well as the R9, as light as the R9, as small as the R9,...but 100% reliable in my mind. My Caspian 1911 .45 will never have to go further than 1 mile from my home to be repaired, if it ever needs to. There is no part on it that cannot be bought from as many as 5 other quality suppliers incl. Wilson Combat. I will never need to worry about parts, warranty work, or any of the other bullshit that will arise when Remington runs out of parts...and they will. The older I get, I am not into high maintenance anything...except my sexy wife of 32 years. That item I cannot replace.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »
What don't you like about the solo?

Just a tiny bit longer than the R9. Just a smidge wider. Great customer support. Only $650. Lots of shweet grip and other options including night sites and laser grips. They make a hot all black model. With the pinky extension (aluminum) you get a full hand grip. Great sites. Shoots like a larger gun truly. Spare mag rides like a dream in the pocket. Rides amazingly IWB and ankle carry. MRC likes his in the pocket. As close to 100% reliable as you are going to get when using 124 and 147 grain. +p capable.

Oh.And it's MRC recomended (thanks for the good tip to buy the solo MRC)

Why not give it a try?

If you think you are remotely interested I would go to the solo forum and see what other owners think of them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:33:19 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
IMO for most of us, the pistol matters a whole lot less than the brain.  First, carry something that you trust and that you will carry always and every day, if only to the corner market or to visit a neighbor (republican, of course).  Secondly, use the first principle of self protection, ie:  situational awareness to avoid conflict.  At age 72 I will no longer ever be able to win a physical conflict with an unarmed but violent, young and aggressive opponent...If I kill or wound him with my pistol, my life and my retirement income will be in the hands of attorneys for many years...yet what are my options? 

I trust my R9 to do its job at the distance that I will actually ever need it, but I fear the consequence of even a truly "good shoot".  A Kimber pepper spray is a great option, but it is really a not tiny carry piece, bulky at best; yet it may still offer a way out in the circumstance of an unarmed but strong, young, violent attacker who would very likely do me in with fists and feet.  My best protection is to never inadvertently place myself at risk. 

I really don't think that night sights (or any sights), double stacks, etc., will ever be what I will most likely need in an unavoidable conflict at 7 yards or less.  If I have any warning, I guarantee I will have my shotgun and my AR in hand, not any available 9mm pistol.  Excepting that circumstance, my R9 will be my EDC.  It has been totally reliable (as has been my backup R9) and carries better than my Solo or any of my other valued and pampered handguns.  Sometimes we just get over the top in our plans and expectations...remember "the best laid plans of mice and men gang oft aglay" which means we should avoid over-thinking the situations and, basically KISS (keep it simple, stupid).  Just sayin'.
John

"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 09:44:14 AM »
I agree with everything you say here backup.

The only thing I am wondering about is if everyone's main threat would be one Murderous attacker at 7 yards.

There are a few other scenarios my cautiously pessimistic mind dreams up.

Of course I'm 43 with a family of 7 in a bustling metropolis which does have some gang activity. We are also not that far from chicago and our crime and gun related violence increases month by month.

That all being said, I don't think that my prescription for being confidently protected should fit all.

If I had a military or LE background I would probably carry double what do now. If I lived and worked  in a rural community I would carry 1/2 of what I do now, but I always want to carry something.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:17:25 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill