Author Topic: Special tool  (Read 20941 times)

Offline jarcher

• Master
Special tool
« on: March 17, 2005, 01:56:59 AM »
A special tool that is a punch for tear down and a grip screw wrench all in one.  And, if its really good, it would also have a vice to compress the recoil spring during reassembly!

Offline Wayne

• Expert
Re: Special tool
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 09:55:08 PM »
I agree, plus with a compass in the stock and a thing that tells time (Ralphie's red ryder bb gun description from A Christmas Story)! ;D

You are in good company on that recommendation.  I think that anyone who has ever taken apart an R9 truly appreciates the need for such a tool.  Not that it's an impossible task, mind you, but it's a small gun, and the parts are only smaller.  Mix in a little superlube or oil when in reassembly mode, and you quickly find yourself wishing for a third hand or a vice.

There is a lot of pent up demand for anyone who could bring this to market.  When the R Bros catch their breath, this would be a good thing for them to develop and put on their web site for sale.  They already know the measurements and have the CNC machinery, -it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

Here's hoping!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 02:43:56 PM »
Maybe one of the forum members could make this take down tool. Then go and have a bunch made off the original and offer them for sale to forum members.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 11:40:33 PM »
Tom - problem is - for most - time!  I am an engineer - I still have my one old lathe left but - to get from prototype into production is never easy - or come to that very cost effective on a small scale.

The ideas are good - Shelby's tool from way back was good - but it just ain't so easy.  Needs IMO a youngish guy - entrepreneur - with patience and some ability to take risks.  I am too old to want that route any more! ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 12:49:39 AM »
Shelby....

Are you out there??   ;)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 08:38:47 AM »
Pending Shelby's return with a supply of that nifty tool he invented, I'm still using a third hand for reassembling my R9s.  The hand is very well manicured and belongs to my patient and loving little wife.  All in all, we've become pretty good at putting the "pup" back together.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 02:42:42 PM »
Another good thing would be if it would also hold the slide open so the pin can be punched out.  It occured to me to place something in the breech and let the slide close of it, but I don't want to damage anything.

To me, that's the hardest part:  holding the slide open while the pin is removed.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 03:14:01 PM »
I believe that is what Shelbys set up proposed to do.. 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 04:11:47 PM »
JArcher - I daresay you haven't seen threads from way back but when we started talking about this strip problem, I discovered that the end of a chopstick works well - the taper end - that allows for adjustment until pin alignment is just right.

I still use a chopstick - plus practice too helps with pin replacement - there is a hold that allows for a brief one hand hold with slide back - as pin is started back in.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Special tool
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 01:36:27 AM »
>>Many of us have come up with tools to help in the take down/reassembly tasks.  I use a small section of PVC dowel rod which has been sized (for width) to fit in the breech...holds it open perfectly so that the take down pin can be removed while not under pressure.  The only time I've really struggled with reassembly was when I put in a new recoil spring - needed a locking wrench for that.  

The most effective tool I have seen (in pics) is Shelby's take down tool...and sweet it is...!  I would pay good money for one of those jewels - Shelby...you listening...?...!

**Shelby...Shelby...Shelby**...TW<<

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
RJ=

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Special tool
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 09:19:30 PM »
>>Hi RJ...

As of this morning my check is in the mail...!...thanks...!!...TW<<

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 01:30:43 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if we need a reassembly tool.

Does anybody have a tool they are using, or any special techniques.

I would gladly pay for something that makes life easier when the new R9S arrives in a week or so.

Bill

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 10:33:07 AM »
I saw somewhere, a pair of Channel-Lock pliers being used to re-install the recoil spring assembly..  That seems to be fairly straight forward..   But, as a "Certified Tool Nut",  I would like a ''special tool'' for that...

But, that would lead to the next thing !  A special tool for the replacement of the small captive recoil spring...  For that , the assembly  must be returned to the Factory for a replacement spring...   Oh well,  we must accept limits !
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 10:40:21 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 11:01:30 AM »
RJ, I would be inclined to purchase a tool which you develop.

Meanwhile, I hope others will describe their experiences.

If you have any special tips about reassembly, or special mechanical aides you've developed, please help us new people avoid scratching the R9S.

Bill

« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 07:06:52 PM by Michigunner »