Author Topic: 1911's. Not for now. I'm back in black (G27/33)  (Read 20793 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: 1911's
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
 The CCO is highly regarded as a well designed 1911 carry concept. As this article reviews and compares it to others I would also consider the Dan Wesson Bobtail CCO. It comes fitted with a match barrel and no MIM parts.

https://gunsmagazine.com/the-cco-and-its-niche-mates/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:51:08 PM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 05:48:50 PM »
Josh  -  I purchased one of these and it is a nice gun in my opinion, though not high end by any means.

I can get three fingers on the shortened grip, front strap checkering and very nice sights  for  what the gun is designed for.

Check the specs out closely, it is well done.  The only thing that I am not happy with is the long trigger.

http://www.taloinc.com/colt-firearms/colt-o9840wc-concealed-carry-officers

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 06:06:59 PM »
It sounds like the Nighthawk T3 with an aluminum frame may have Josh's name on it.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »
...or perhaps a Wilson.

The Wilson seems to be calling my name. That and an hkp7m8. And a 686.

Haaaah. So how did you fellows finally get to the point where you could stop adding to the "collection" (otherwise known as an addiction)? It seems like there is always one more thing to check into ya know.

All this and my primary carry is still the old trusty G27 (357 Sig barrel) unless clothing dictates pocket carry in which an R9 or 2 ride with me.

Help!!! Lol. At least lie to me and tell me your "collections" are worth much more they you paid for them so that they are solid investments please : )
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 09:47:18 PM »
All I know is that my gun collection is worth more than my wife's shoes.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 10:38:13 PM »
Josh: You are all over the place! That's good because the search is always fun. You cannot go wrong with a Wilson Combat. Please be sure to hold an Ed Brown Kobra Carry...a beautiful gun! As for Tracker's wifes shoes...my wife has a closet of handbags, shoes, and clothes that fill it up. The deal is I stay out of there, and she stays away from the gun safe. It has worked for 34 years!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
...or perhaps a Wilson.

The Wilson seems to be calling my name. That and an hkp7m8. And a 686.

Josh, if you want the gun to be a fun one go for the 686.  The 357 is a super round that is just about forgotten these days.  There is perhaps no other cartridge that is as accurate as the 38 special in my experience.

If you want a gun with a weird design, go for the P7.  The gun is an engineering marvel, but why would anyone dream up such a design.  The gun is very accurate., but too heavy and too short on capacity to be  of carry consideration but, not accurate enough to be a target gun.  German Engineering fascinates me, both the good and the bad.  I also like Auto Mags and that is the craziest gun design I think I have ever seen.

As for the high end carry guns, I have never given them a second look.  They are "Work Guns" to me.  I would not buy a Mercedes to drive to work when a Chevy at 30% of the cost will get me there and back just as reliably.  Now I will admit that I got into this game from the target shooting side and not Law Enforcement or Military so maybe that is why.  I have expensive guns but they have to be rare or shoot "X's" with regularity for me to enjoy them.

These are just my opinions and that is all.  Everyone has different tastes and that makes the world a lot more interesting.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:42:29 PM by MRC »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 03:47:47 PM »

I tend to agree, Bob, and in that regard it would appear that the Springfield Range Officer Champion would be more than adequate for concealed carry. Either that or the previously mentioned Dan Wesson would seem to be enough for quality self defense without breaking the bank and concerned about theft or scratches. One thing is for certain and that is the gun used in shooting someone will take a long vacation from the owner.

http://www.guns.com/2015/03/02/springfield-range-officer-champions-roll-out/

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »

I know Colt gets bashed for being behind the times and overpriced, but the CCO I bought is a very nice pistol and shoots great.  For me, it is specced out great.

Agree or not, Colts hold their value better than about anything being produced now.

Offline Magrred

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 08:31:07 PM »
MRC mentioned the 357 / 38 special above. Has anyone had / shot the 1911 Coonan in this caliber? I understand that they are making one now in the comander size. It is interesting because of the caliber.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 08:34:53 PM »

I know Colt gets bashed for being behind the times and overpriced, but the CCO I bought is a very nice pistol and shoots great.  For me, it is specced out great.

Agree or not, Colts hold their value better than about anything being produced now.

Colts are part of the great gun history of this great country. Everyone should own at least one. My first gun was a Colt Gold Cup National Match Enhanced .45. Beautiful guns to shoot, & pride of ownership abounds.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 09:37:14 PM »
MRC mentioned the 357 / 38 special above. Has anyone had / shot the 1911 Coonan in this caliber? I understand that they are making one now in the comander size. It is interesting because of the caliber.

Glad you asked, here is an old thread with a picture of mine.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=6584.msg77528#msg77528

Here is Hickok45 shooting one.  I wish I could shoot like him.

http://www.coonaninc.com/videos-more/#wp-video-lightbox/0/

They really are not a 1911.  They have a linkless design, exterior extractor, and a pivoting trigger. 

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 08:02:23 AM »

Agree. . . . . When in doubt ~ Buy the pony (Colt). . . .  Yes, I get it, there are high end customs that are better (in some ways) than the Colt version 1911, however, like our old company, there is only one first, and that's a Colt 1911. Money in the bank and easier to sell. But, that's just me. Let the conversations continue..................  ;-)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline gkgeiger

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 09:16:36 AM »
I'm in the process of buying a Colt Government XSE in 9mm. It's no longer made but I think I found a NIB in WV.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 03:42:51 PM »

Why not just buy a Colt Defender, be done with it, and make everybody happy with Josh's new gun wish?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Colt-Defender-Handgun&i=733119